Alfa Romeo Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
10,133 Posts
Bernhard has the translation correct.
there is nothing there on the dhl note that says "insufficient postage paid", or anything even close to that.

It does say "was unable to be delivered"

now if you were out the house or on a short break or something when the parcel arrived dhl are not going to sit outside waiting for you to return.

Perhaps dhl even got lazy and didn't even try to deliver (it happens!)....normally they would leave you a note: we tried to deliver, please contact us to re arrange delivery.

if you do not contact them (or the note got lost in the wind, or you never saw a note, or your dog ate the note) then they follow the sender's instructions:

when you send a parcel from Germany, you mark a little box in the case of "non delivery"
(where it is marked "2" here)
Font Material property Parallel Rectangle Paper

so, if undeliverable, you have the choice to mark 'please return to sender' (that would be at sender's expense, btw!) or please treat as abandoned.

Now in this case dhl returned it to the sender although they were not required to, as a one off service.

so from the sender's point of view, he sent out a parcel, the addresses were correct, the postage was correct, but it was undeliverable....why? that is what you have to ask!!

Now, phone dhl and demand to see the delivery log and get the full reason why your parcel was not delivered to you.

·
Registered
317 Posts
It appears that no effort was made to deliver the seats due to an Insufficient address; how, in what way? It IS a perfectly-valid business address.

The tracking history shows a one-day turnaround and the item was returned to Germany. I have never heard of this practice. Something wonky here.

Glad I don't live in NY and have to depend on the USPS!
If my experience with the USPS on international mail is any guide, I bet the fault lies with them, and not with DHL.

Last May, I requested from Centro Documentazione Alfa Romeo a Certificate of Origin for my Duetto. They mailed it with tracking number, and I noticed it clear U.S. Customs. From there, it went to the USPS facility in Jamaica, NY, and languished there for a while. I contacted the sender to see if they could track it from their end. That mail was eventually returned to Italy for no reason. Long story short, Valeria at Alfa Romeo kindly mailed it again, but this time registered. It eventually arrived.

I've also had international mail from Japan get lost once it arrived here in the U.S. When I asked USPS for help, they said only the sender can request a trace, even though they had tracking record through the same Jamaica, NY sorting facility. That mail was never recovered. They are nothing short of incompetent.

·
Registered
317 Posts
As others have recommended, I would lean on DHL. They also have more leverage with the USPS than you would if that is where the fault lies. The best solution would be for DHL to acknowledge responsibility and reship the items without additional charge. That way, neither the OP nor the seller are out any money, and the transaction can be happily concluded.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
If my experience with the USPS on international mail is any guide, I bet the fault lies with them, and not with DHL.

Last May, I requested from Centro Documentazione Alfa Romeo a Certificate of Origin for my Duetto. They mailed it with tracking number, and I noticed it clear U.S. Customs. From there, it went to the USPS facility in Jamaica, NY, and languished there for a while. I contacted the sender to see if they could track it from their end. That mail was eventually returned to Italy for no reason. Long story short, Valeria at Alfa Romeo kindly mailed it again, but this time registered. It eventually arrived.

I've also had international mail from Japan get lost once it arrived here in the U.S. When I asked USPS for help, they said only the sender can request a trace, even though they had tracking record through the same Jamaica, NY sorting facility. That mail was never recovered. They are nothing short of incompetent.

My experience with world wide postal service is quite different. I have sold and mailed 100s of parts all over the planet from Canada, but mostly to USA and including seat pairs, dashes, wheels, fuel tanks.

I have never lost a package but one poorly packed, by me, envelope with small parts was torn open by a machine and some contents lost. Lately there have been Covid related delays.

Should I be getting nervous???

Lucky??

Ken

·
Registered
317 Posts
Should I be getting nervous???
The difference may be that your shipments are coming overland across the border from Canada. Their NY facility seems to be the source of the problems that I've experienced, so anything flown in from overseas may be at risk.

That being said, the U.S. government has decided that funding the cash-strapped USPS is not a priority, and have recently announced major cutbacks in services, including extended delivery time for domestic mail. In speaking with our mail delivery person, she tells me morale within the rank-and-file is really low.

The service didn't use to be this bad, but it is now hit-or-miss. So if you have to absolutely, positively get anything delivered on time, I would recommend going with FedEx or UPS.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Hi, lots of my mail to USA is by Air to Usorda Chicago. Most of my attempts to use Fed Ex, UPS, DHL have been much more expensive than post office and not to my buyers liking. Although did get a dash to California cheaper than post office by using a third party agent. Will check that route more often in future.

K

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
I appreciate all of the advice regarding DHL, but “getting to the bottom of it” doesn’t help my issue with the seller, who now has both the seats and my money, and is refusing to help out in any way or refund my money.

Also, since he is the shipper and DHL account holder, only he can demand action or a shipping refund. Since he is refusing any help at this point, all of this discussion of DHL and USPS is academic, and Ulrich has still stolen 300 euro from me. Or 460 euro if you count the shipping.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Is delivery by DHL different in Canada and the US? I have had parcels shipped via DHL from the UK, France and Germany and they have always been delivered to my address by DHL. Canada Post has never been part of the equation.

·
Registered
35 Posts
DHL as a courier is my go to if i have the choice for international shipping. Used many times as a recipient.

One time, however, I had an issue with a package. The package made it to the local depot in Canada. Tracking would indicate package “out for delivery” and at the end of the day “delivery failed / recipient not home”. Happened 3 days in a row even though I was at home and no delivery people could be seen on the security cameras. There was also no signature needed for the delivery. Spoke to someone at DHL and was told they would make a note for the driver to be aware. Same thing the next day. Called again and this time the DHL person found that duties / taxes were due. Paid those and the package arrived 2 days later.

Also, I believe DHL has postal (like USPS, Canada Post) and courier (like FedEx, UPS) branches. Given this shipment came from Germany it likely came via the post side and would be handed off to the local postal service.

I guess the TL : DR version is:
  • the missing prepayment could have been import duties/taxes not “shipping“ costs from DHL
  • communications from DHL are not always accurate
  • shipment was via post not courier (problem lies with USPS)

Shipping snafu is likely not either parties fault. Regardless, having the seller keep the funds and goods is wrong in any scenario.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I appreciate all of the advice regarding DHL, but “getting to the bottom of it” doesn’t help my issue with the seller, who now has both the seats and my money, and is refusing to help out in any way or refund my money.

Also, since he is the shipper and DHL account holder, only he can demand action or a shipping refund. Since he is refusing any help at this point, all of this discussion of DHL and USPS is academic, and Ulrich has still stolen 300 euro from me. Or 460 euro if you count the shipping.
Call customer service, find out the reason. You can talk with the manager and demand to resolve this problem. I think it was DHL who made the problem, they are busy this time of the year, jams at the distribution facilities happen quite often. This spring Fedex and DHL lost 4 packages sent to our company. They probably can reimburse the shipping cost to the seller. You might need to include the shipper to the resolution of the problem with DHL.
Your package was sitting at the distribution facility from September 5th till October 22nd and you did not try to resolve the problem.

Next time actively monitor the tracking number and call the shipping company in a case of any suspicious activity. Open the account at the shipping company website and connect the shipments to your account. You will have a choice to make online payments for the duties.

P.S. I think they returned the package because of the customs duties. They probably could not contact you by the phone number/email (which were probably not at the shipping label) and after 45 days in the local distribution facility returned it to Germany.

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
I had a recent problem with a panel I purchased from a UK vendor. Before shipping they asked me if I wanted to pay extra for insurance for the shipping which I declined. The panel arrived damaged and they initially refused compensation and blamed me for failing to take out shipping insurance. I sourced a copy of the UK Consumer Rights Act of 2015 and found that they were responsible for the panel until it was delivered and they had to repair or replace it under consumer law. I wrote to them citing the specific section of the Act and demanded a refund or I would raise the matter with UK consumer affairs. They settled immediately and were actually quite nice about it in the end but not before trying it on.

Europe is probably similar in that everything is their responsibility and at their risk until it is delivered to you.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider
136 Posts
@oelboxer - This is a really unfortunate situation.

I do hope things get sorted. While I don't really have much advice for you specifically. It would be great to see, as a paid member, some new features added on AlfaBB that would possibly help this community out to prevent things like this from "possibly" happening.

1) Feature request: A Seller rating. Much like in social e-commerce platforms a Buyer is able to rate a Seller once a transaction is completed and the merch is shipped;
2) Feature request: A Buyer rating. Similar to Seller rating. A Seller is able to rate a Buyer once a transaction is paid for and the merch is shipped;
3) Feature request: Seller's initial FS post is uneditable. If a Seller wishes to make an edit they will need to do so before anyone posts a comment, once they do the post can not be changed or deleted; and
4) Feature request: A Seller will have an option to change the status from Available, Pending, Sold through a simple button.

As a member of this community, these examples are a great way to help turn this forum into a safe environment. There will always be issues and no one feature will solve everything. But we can learn, refactor and grow from cases like this.

·
Registered
1977 Spider 49-State
248 Posts
I didn't notice any email/phone number info on the receipt or package label. Maybe DHL had no way to contact either party for duties due during that 45-day period? As the recipient, DHL emailed me for duties on a euro package once, which was easily paid online.

If email info was provided, maybe a DHL email went to someone's junk/spam folder?

·
Registered
374 Posts

I do hope things get sorted. While I don't really have much advice for you specifically. It would be great to see, as a paid member, some new features added on AlfaBB that would possibly help this community out to prevent things like this from "possibly" happening.

1) Feature request: A Seller rating. Much like in social e-commerce platforms a Buyer is able to rate a Seller once a transaction is completed and the merch is shipped;
2) Feature request: A Buyer rating. Similar to Seller rating. A Seller is able to rate a Buyer once a transaction is paid for and the merch is shipped;
3) Feature request: Seller's initial FS post is uneditable. If a Seller wishes to make an edit they will need to do so before anyone posts a comment, once they do the post can not be changed or deleted; and
4) Feature request: A Seller will have an option to change the status from Available, Pending, Sold through a simple button.

As a member of this community, these examples are a great way to help turn this forum into a safe environment. There will always be issues and no one feature will solve everything. But we can learn, refactor and grow from cases like this.
I completely agree with 1-4, in this day and age the forums classified section needs these updates.

As far as who or what is at fault regarding the shipping, I could care less, until the seller responds with a update on why he is not refunding the buyers money he's a sleaze bag who should not be dealt with in the future!

·
Registered
1971 1750 Berlina; 1972 Fiat 124 Spider
57 Posts

This could get a little tricky. Although I suppose section 230 of the CDA might prevent alfabb liability for a rating that a seller or buyer might post, careful consideration should precede any adoption of these features.

·
Registered
1971 1750 Berlina; 1972 Fiat 124 Spider
57 Posts
This is why in my opinion AlfaBB should just contain an advertisement taking you to BAT or eBay, etc. where the item is actually for sale. They already have all these rating features.

Guys and girls, let's not reinvent the wheel.
Pete
Especially because legal standards vary from country to country.

·
Administrator
4,449 Posts
Folks your Admin team is working behind the scenes to try & find common ground between the seller & the buyer here. It is far beyond our role to get involved with financial disputes etc, this is legal territory and we are not equipped to do this, remember we are all unpaid volunteers.

Right now we are actively in contact with both parties.

Regards
Greig
AlfaBB Admin

·
Administrator
4,449 Posts

While the above would be wonderful to have, the reality is that the BB is owned by VerticalScope, we are one of approximately 250 BB's that they own & operate on the XenForo platform which is their common base for all their BB's. It has severe limitations being a one-size-fits-all platform, so changes like the above are unlikely to appear in the near future. I have elevated your suggestions to the XenForo Admin Management for their consideration.

Ciao
Greig
AlfaBB Admin

61 - 80 of 102 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.