Alfa Romeo Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 102 Posts

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
I just had a piece of gear halted at Customs from the UK - DHL International was handling the shipment from UK to the USA. I was quickly notified via SMS of $38 still needed to pay to be released from customs... was able to log on to an app and make payment, and the item arrived a few days later. Granted, wasn't big boxes of seats, but handled very seamlessly via DHL. Can't say enough good about this international shipper.

Reactions: Edgewood121

·
Administrator
606 Posts
This package was not delivered due to an insufficient adress:

Just open the tracking history and scroll down to the 22th of October

The German text on the parcel just says that the parcel could not be delivered .
Is this adress ok?

And no I do not know Uli personally and I have done no business with him

Bernhard

The translation of the writing on the parcel:

Dear customer,
Your shipment could not be delivered to the recipient.

The rest of the writing is just about the process of the retransport to Germany and that this was done by DHL without cost and
without recognition of a legal obligation

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
It appears that no effort was made to deliver the seats due to an Insufficient address; how, in what way? It IS a perfectly-valid business address.

The tracking history shows a one-day turnaround and the item was returned to Germany. I have never heard of this practice. Something wonky here.

Glad I don't live in NY and have to depend on the USPS!

Reactions: oelboxer

·
Registered
425 Posts
The DHL tracking system states the same.

And I can also vouch for Bernhard's translation of the german text on the returned package.

It seems that USPS or the customs service is at fault.

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
I guarantee that the IRS would not have thought it to be an insufficient address if they were looking for it!

Bro, just return the man's 300 Euros and sell the seats to someone in Europe. Life is too short for this monkey business.

Reactions: alfaloco

·
Registered
1971 1750 Berlina; 1972 Fiat 124 Spider
57 Posts
Matt, I assume that it was you who masked off the address in the photo of the original package? It's hard to tell the masking is on the package or the photo.

Assuming the address was clear on the package, I wonder if the plastic wrap on the package could have confused a scanning device, leading to the "insufficient address" problem? Or if the problem could be the number of labels on the package? It's clear on the receipt he sent you that he had the address, but it might not have been clear to the USPS.

Mark

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I translated the large note and came up with insufficient prepayment. I also googled the phrase and got a similar result. What am I missing there?

The address was covered, I’m guessing, by DHL for the return trip. The photo of the package is as I received it, and was sent to me via the BB Conversations tool so there’s a record of it there. You can see my address on the original shipping receipt and on the label so I don’t think that was the real reason it was turned around. There’s a lot of translation, and DHL gets their US tracking data directly from USPS so they will always mirror each other. But since there was ANY question about the blame on shipping, I asked the seller only for a return of the 300 euro I paid for the seats. I lose the shipping, he loses nothing. Still, he says he’ll give me nothing.

·
Registered
1977 Spider 49-State
248 Posts
This isn't 1955. If the address wasn't legible...then they would have scanned the bar code. A quick Google search shows it is indeed an easily verifiable address. Plus since DHL was the original shipper, I would imagine they would have contacted the seller before returning the item back to Germany. The seller is acknowledging issues with shipping quotes as if he spoke with someone from DHL.

·
Registered
1977 Spider 49-State
248 Posts
I translated the large note and came up with insufficient prepayment. I also googled the phrase and got a similar result. What am I missing there?

The address was covered, I’m guessing, by DHL for the return trip. The photo of the package is as I received it, and was sent to me via the BB Conversations tool so there’s a record of it there. You can see my address on the original shipping receipt and on the label so I don’t think that was the real reason it was turned around. There’s a lot of translation, and DHL gets their US tracking data directly from USPS so they will always mirror each other. But since there was ANY question about the blame on shipping, I asked the seller only for a return of the 300 euro I paid for the seats. I lose the shipping, he loses nothing. Still, he says he’ll give me nothing.

Seller is being extremely stubborn on this. A refund of 300 and split of shipping is more than fair. Both parties bear the risk of trade fairly here due to unforeseen mishap . Ya, it sucks when something unforeseen occurs, but the seller seems to think that he shouldn't be subject to general risk whatsoever for conducting business? That is being bratty. Or more specifically he is being bratty because he is leveraging your 300 against you. Hard negotiating to see if you will easily pay and go away. Don't do it.

Please go find the local Police in Germany and bank on some six months of back and forth before it gets resolved. It is what it is.....but don't settle. Recourse is a job, so just stay focused and put in the couple of hours a week and move onto other things. Then one day everything will come together.

·
Registered
1971 1750 Berlina; 1972 Fiat 124 Spider
57 Posts
DHL gets their US tracking data directly from USPS so they will always mirror each other. .
If the address wasn't legible...then they would have scanned the bar code.
I imagine those comments describe how things are supposed to work. But something went wrong here, so maybe things didn't happen the way they are supposed to. Regardless, it does seem that the OP has proposed a fair, maybe better than fair, solution.

·
Registered
1977 Spider 49-State
248 Posts
Maybe some of our German friends here on the AlfaBB would be willing to contact the seller and help mediate? Would be a great gesture and could help get more of the story so there could be a better understanding. I would say the buyer could inform the seller of buyer having asked some fellow enthusiasts for impartial help in resolving.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I Presume that you mean the translation of the word "Vorausverfügung" translates to prepayment, as it is the only word in the german text that has a syllable that could translate to "pre" something.
In this (postal) context Vorausverfügung translates to pre order or advance directive, which google translate explains as follows.

A pre-order is a note in the address field of a mail item above the recipient address, which specifies the handling of the item if it is undeliverable.
or
An advance directive is a note in the address field of a mail item above the recipient address, which specifies the handling of the item if it cannot be delivered.

I also do not know the seller personally and I have done no business with him.

Hope this helps!
Bob

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
This package was not delivered due to an insufficient adress:

Just open the tracking history and scroll down to the 22th of October

The German text on the parcel just says that the parcel could not be delivered .
Is this adress ok?

And no I do not know Uli personally and I have done no business with him

Bernhard

The translation of the writing on the parcel:

Dear customer,
Your shipment could not be delivered to the recipient.

The rest of the writing is just about the process of the retransport to Germany and that this was done by DHL without cost and
without recognition of a legal obligation
The address on the shipping receipt is a valid address.

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
There are just way too many things wrong with this scenario. Maybe I missed it, but has the seller posted his side of the story?

Did a computer or a human being make the decision to return the seats to the seller in just under 30 hours after arriving in the States?

Would there be a way to check and see if this is a frequent occurrence when items are shipped from Germany and pass through the ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS), NY 11430 where an Insufficient Postage declaration results in items being returned to the sender?

·
Registered
1977 Spider 49-State
248 Posts
Maybe that could be the seller's angle for denying a refund. He may have done everything correct on his part and some dumb-dumb in customs decided to send it back. The US Gov is not the seller's problem could be his thinking.

But really in good faith, if it were me, I'd still return the 300 euros if that were the case. Why brutalize a buyer for something out of his control? It's international trade for Christ's sake. Besides, as others pointed out, it's not like the seller couldn't sell those seats pretty quick anyway for the same/similar price to another buyer.

Maybe the seats were damaged in this whole fiasco and no longer worth 300 euros?

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Can someone send me a private message with at link to the seat for sale advert and the seller info. I'm not the sleuth I once was.

Please

ken

·
Registered
481 Posts
The last (and only) time I sold an item to Europe and it wasn't able to be delivered, I simply refunded the buyer in full -- postage and shipping. I wasn't expecting to get the item back, but it was eventually returned to me several months later.

Why not out the seller so that others aren't victimized? Seems the noble thing to do.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
41 - 60 of 102 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.