Alfa Romeo Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: After advice from members and lack of response from the seller, I've decided to identify him: Ulrich Baumgartner, member name UlrichGTA

I purchased a pair of seats from a known forum member in October. The seats are in Europe and I am in the US. I paid via bank wire per the seller's request. He boxed the seats and shipped them in a timely manner. The seats sat for weeks in what we thought was US Customs, but then the tracking shows that they were returned to the seller. He has confirmed that he has the seats back in his shop. He sent me a photo of the box and it has a large note on it from Deutsch Post stating that the seats were returned because not enough postage was prepaid for them to be delivered. I'm not faulting him for this, because he says he paid what they told him to and I very much believe him. However, I'm afraid to pay him again for another shipping fiasco - if they return the seats again I am out another $250, and I will still have no seats. So I asked him for a refund, NOT of the entire price but just what I paid for the seats. I will eat the shipping that has now been wasted. He has the seats, but is refusing to give my money back because it's not his fault they were returned to him. It's neither of our faults, so I don't understand why he isn't being a more cooperative seller.

I'm looking for advice or, if there is a party who helps to settle these sort of things, their help. Thanks in advance for anything you can offer. -- Matt

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Seller has now informed me that he will not be refunding any of my money, and will only reship the seats if I pay again for the shipping. He is a known shop owner with two locations in Germany.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought so, too. But he's officially told me to take a hike. He's keeping the seats and the $$. Anyone have any idea what I should do? He is in Germany.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thank you all for the advice. I paid 300 Euro for the seats, and an additional 160 Euro for the shipping, paid in one lump. He quoted the shipping. I am attaching a photo of the package. This is what it looked like when it was finally returned to him. I translated the long letter from DHL and it says the prepaid postage was insufficient to get it to me. If anyone's German is better than mine and can decipher other things, such as what he actually paid to ship them, that would be hugely appreciated.
Packing materials Shipping box Package delivery Wood Packaging and labeling

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
As some have asked and others have pointed out, the original FS post was on the BB, as well as all communications. The price was 300 Euro. The seller insisted on a bank wire as the only form of payment he would accept. He packed the seats, he weighed them, and he quoted the shipping cost to me. I paid for the seats and shipping in one sum. As far as "working it out between the buyer and seller," I tried that for two weeks until he today told me he would be giving me no money and would only ship the seats again if I paid for the shipping again. Being international, and having sent a bank wire, I have no other recourse than to appeal to the BB members for advice. I sent the seller a message with a link to this thread so he has every opportunity to post his side of the story if he chooses. If my only recourse is to warn others not to deal with him, that's what I'll do. But it's important for the skeptics to realize that unscrupulous sellers ruin it for everyone by taking honesty and honor away from the person-to-person selling environment we enjoy here.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
@oelboxer,

If you haven’t done so already, for starters, I would ask to see the shipping receipt, if he has nothing to hide it shouldn’t be a problem for him to do so!
Here is the shipping receipt he sent me. It doesn't have a shipping price, but the other info is there.
Handwriting Font Material property Wood Paper

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I translated the large note and came up with insufficient prepayment. I also googled the phrase and got a similar result. What am I missing there?

The address was covered, I’m guessing, by DHL for the return trip. The photo of the package is as I received it, and was sent to me via the BB Conversations tool so there’s a record of it there. You can see my address on the original shipping receipt and on the label so I don’t think that was the real reason it was turned around. There’s a lot of translation, and DHL gets their US tracking data directly from USPS so they will always mirror each other. But since there was ANY question about the blame on shipping, I asked the seller only for a return of the 300 euro I paid for the seats. I lose the shipping, he loses nothing. Still, he says he’ll give me nothing.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
I appreciate all of the advice regarding DHL, but “getting to the bottom of it” doesn’t help my issue with the seller, who now has both the seats and my money, and is refusing to help out in any way or refund my money.

Also, since he is the shipper and DHL account holder, only he can demand action or a shipping refund. Since he is refusing any help at this point, all of this discussion of DHL and USPS is academic, and Ulrich has still stolen 300 euro from me. Or 460 euro if you count the shipping.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Folks your Admin team is working behind the scenes to try & find common ground between the seller & the buyer here. It is far beyond our role to get involved with financial disputes etc, this is legal territory and we are not equipped to do this, remember we are all unpaid volunteers.

Right now we are actively in contact with both parties.

Regards
Greig
AlfaBB Admin
I want to say that Greig has been very helpful in trying to get this resolved. The seller and I have a different view of where responsibilities lie in a transaction, so here we are. It looks like I will just be taking a loss and chalking it up to my own naïveté.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.