Alfa Romeo Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: After advice from members and lack of response from the seller, I've decided to identify him: Ulrich Baumgartner, member name UlrichGTA

I purchased a pair of seats from a known forum member in October. The seats are in Europe and I am in the US. I paid via bank wire per the seller's request. He boxed the seats and shipped them in a timely manner. The seats sat for weeks in what we thought was US Customs, but then the tracking shows that they were returned to the seller. He has confirmed that he has the seats back in his shop. He sent me a photo of the box and it has a large note on it from Deutsch Post stating that the seats were returned because not enough postage was prepaid for them to be delivered. I'm not faulting him for this, because he says he paid what they told him to and I very much believe him. However, I'm afraid to pay him again for another shipping fiasco - if they return the seats again I am out another $250, and I will still have no seats. So I asked him for a refund, NOT of the entire price but just what I paid for the seats. I will eat the shipping that has now been wasted. He has the seats, but is refusing to give my money back because it's not his fault they were returned to him. It's neither of our faults, so I don't understand why he isn't being a more cooperative seller.

I'm looking for advice or, if there is a party who helps to settle these sort of things, their help. Thanks in advance for anything you can offer. -- Matt

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Seller has now informed me that he will not be refunding any of my money, and will only reship the seats if I pay again for the shipping. He is a known shop owner with two locations in Germany.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
That's just flat out dishonest, I don't care where in the world it happens. He stole your money.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I suspect he is being honest when he says he paid what they requested - otherwise I can’t imagine them accepting the boxes for shipping and then actually shipping to the USA. That being said, he is the one who has a contract with the shipper and only he can resolve it. He should not have to pay for complete reshipping costs as it seems it was their error; regardless, he is responsible for arranging the shipping and for re-shipping the seats.

If he does, I don’t believe that you are entitled to cancel and receive a refund. Otherwise he has failed to deliver the seats for the agreed upon price and you are entitled to a complete refund, including what you initially pre-paid for shipping. Your offer to eat the orignal shipping costs is,therefore, quite fair as he will not be out of pocket anything in spite of the shipping failure being his sole responsibility.

Additional goodwill on your part not to name him. I assume you have sent him a PM referencing this thread and if he is an honest merchant, hopefully he will see the light. If not, he should be identified.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Matt, The problem for me is that now I do not know who your vendor was/is so I might well try to do business with him/her. And who knows maybe that is his modus operedi. Maybe he never gave the box over and it was never shipped although you seem to think so. And why a bank transfer. Not much protection I guess from bank vs pay pal which has fraud protection of sorts.

Good luck sorting this out and keep us posted and tell the vendor you are going to expose him.

Ken

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
I suspect he is being honest when he says he paid what they requested - otherwise I can’t imagine them accepting the boxes for shipping and then actually shipping to the USA. That being said, he is the one who has a contract with the shipper and only he can resolve it. He should not have to pay for complete reshipping costs as it seems it was their error; regardless, he is responsible for arranging the shipping and for re-shipping the seats.

If he does, I don’t believe that you are entitled to cancel and receive a refund. Otherwise he has failed to deliver the seats for the agreed upon price and you are entitled to a complete refund, including what you initially pre-paid for shipping. Your offer to eat the orignal shipping costs is,therefore, quite fair as he will not be out of pocket anything in spite of the shipping failure being his sole responsibility.

Additional goodwill on your part not to name him. I assume you have sent him a PM referencing this thread and if he is an honest merchant, hopefully he will see the light. If not, he should be identified.
I recently sent a large box holding a GTVdash to California from Toronto via UPS thru a third party agent. Id the weighing and measuring. The box was delivered fine and later I got a further small bill from the agent because I had given incorrect dimensions or weight, probably weight.

Maybe the vendor here did not weight properly and DHL or whoever returned it and if so then the error rests with the vendor IMHO and he should clean it up. Take it to the post office or DHL and let them weigh it.

Ken

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I thought so, too. But he's officially told me to take a hike. He's keeping the seats and the $$. Anyone have any idea what I should do? He is in Germany.
This is outright theft. I would demand immediate shipment, on his dime. The shipping fiasco should be (is) his problem to resolve. Otherwise I would contact the authorities in his his city about this. Can't hurt. You also need to identify this member. Of course, in all fairness, he should be given the opportunity to air his side of the story

Reactions: ballough510

·
Registered
374 Posts
Sully his reputation? He did not ship what you paid for and will not refund your money, you're willing to pay for shipping and not receive the seats that should be enough.

I'm assuming you are not going to name him until you are sure you will not receive your seat money back.

This world and it's people are continuing to amaze me daily.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
If he’s refusing to refund your money but still has the seats in his possession he needs to be called out by name prominently. That’s complete bull****

Reactions: kengta

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
As an arbitrator...how much did you pay for the seats? how much did you pay for the shipping and who estimated it? Were the two broken out as separate items paid in one lump sum? If what you say is correct...assuming the seller is out "X" for FREIGHT ( it should be on the copy of the DHL bill) and your are willing to eat his mistake in the shipping cost .. He flat owes you for the balance.. Each of you is whole on the seats and you agreeate the freight which is not your doing which is really more generous than I would be. What is the basis for the seller to keep all of your money and no goods shipped? He must have some valid reason other than tough bananas.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thank you all for the advice. I paid 300 Euro for the seats, and an additional 160 Euro for the shipping, paid in one lump. He quoted the shipping. I am attaching a photo of the package. This is what it looked like when it was finally returned to him. I translated the long letter from DHL and it says the prepaid postage was insufficient to get it to me. If anyone's German is better than mine and can decipher other things, such as what he actually paid to ship them, that would be hugely appreciated.
Packing materials Shipping box Package delivery Wood Packaging and labeling

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
It's amazing what one can discover by doing a search of past "For Sale" ads...

Reactions: kengta
1 - 20 of 102 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.