Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
If one published paper notes that Mars records seasonal change it was good enough for me.
"Cherry-picking"--not me.
Post #661 on related thread

That is a textbook example of engaging in selective evidence fallacy (aka cherry picking), which is a fundamental no-no in matters of science.

Hey - 101/105guy. Shouldn't I provide a citation for that statement?

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
...it is good enough for me.

It should be acceptable to you as well.
No - not even close since that isn't how good science works and you are engaging in cherry picking and making assertions without citations on the matter of science.

It would not be acceptable to anyone with a background in science or who is interest in good science.

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
Been gone for a while, chipping ice off my windshield here in chilly So. Cal. !

Good to see the conversation continued.
To catch up.....

Yes, humor is allowed in posts and can be handy in building a friendly discourse.

Most of us can have a conversation about a technical subject with out demanding citations for every minor point.
Trying to prove or disprove every responce is not needed.

pedantic - Dictionary Definition : Vocabulary.com
There's nothing wrong with focusing on the details, but someone who is pedantic makes a big display of knowing obscure facts and details.
Pedantic means "like a pedant," someone who's too concerned with literal accuracy or formality. It's a negative term that implies someone is showing off book learning or trivia, especially in a tiresome way. You don't want to go antique-shopping with a pedantic friend, who will use the opportunity to bore you with his in-depth knowledge of Chinese porcelain kitty-litter boxes.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Most of us can have a conversation about a technical subject with out demanding citations for every minor point.
Hmmm - that have just contradicted yourself again because today @ 07:06 AM on post #25

...Supposition and not supported by a citation......
So which is it?

Let's handle this before addressing your incorrect us of "pedantic".

·
Push hard and live
8,929 Posts
How interesting - before I respond in more detail are you suggesting that ad hominem attacks are a poor approach to engage in on a matter of science?? IF so can we agree they have no place in a discussion that, as you said, should be a

No, I'm not suggesting that YOUR definition of ad hominem attacks are a poor choice. I am pointing out your hypocrisy, and it's logical inconsistency with your own stated positions.

Of course, your compensatory narcissism prevents you from recognizing your own flaws, and drives you to control the environment of this discussion in an effort to display your superiority.

Alas, it isn't working.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Oh well, I tried.

I am pointing out your hipocrisy
Please remember that without citations and evidence of an assertion you are just making things up. Please show were based on the definition (hopefully agreed to below) I have done that.

ad hominem
adjective ad ho·mi·nem \(ˈ)ad-ˈhä-mə-ˌnem, -nəm\
Definition of AD HOMINEM
: appealing to feelings or prejudices rather than intellect
: marked by or being an attack on an opponent's character rather than by an answer to the contentions made

...I am pointing out your hipocrisy...

Wait - you just decried ad hominem attacks but then write this? That would seem to be engaging in hypocrisy (note spelling)

...compensatory narcissism prevents you from recognizing your own flaws, and drives you to control the environment of this discussion in an effort to display your superiority.
Zero science, zero logic, an other ad hominem and lots of \ˌkän-di-ˈsen(t)-shən\. in the above. Does not appear to be consistent with a:

DPeterson3 said:
...a civil and worthy exchange

Remember - all I've asked is citations, non-contradictory logic, and for people to stop cherry picking and ad hominem attacks. That seems like a reasonable request.

Oh - and please - no more links to maturation videos please. No need for vulgarity.

So much heartburn over a couple simple and reasonable requests that, frankly, should even need to be requests in the first place since they should be obvious (and are) to anyone actually interested in the science.

·
Push hard and live
8,929 Posts
Skippy,

If the question boils down to you against the world..... bet on the world.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
TD

You have earned a break.

Take some time to read Bacon and Feynman on the foundations of science. The guys in the early 1600s had to face the severe displeasure of a dogmatic bureaucracy.

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
Hmmm - that have just contradicted yourself again because today @ 07:06 AM on post #25

So which is it?

Let's handle this before addressing your incorrect us of "pedantic".
See definition of 'Pedantic' above.....
With each post you fit the definition better and better !

And again, humor can be a difficult consept for some. Perhaps a citation would help you see it ! ;^)

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
If the question boils down to you against the world..... bet on the world.
I am not the one arguing against the laws of physics and chemistry here so technically I am with the world on this one. As such you have made an assertion that is not supported by evidence here.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
See definition of 'Pedantic' above.....
With each post you fit the definition better and better !
That is another Ad hominem - a common retreat for people unable to engage on the merits of a discussion.

Careful now101/105guy, you don't want your pride or confidence to have you engage in an act of hubris. I mean - being so full of pride and confidence could lead a person to make known to be bad claims or even misuse words or make bad assertions.

Please make sure to check the actual meaning of the word before posting things like this as you are incorrectly using it.

Pedant

A person who annoys other people by correcting small errors and giving too much attention to minor details

Pedant | Definition of pedant by Merriam-Webster

You have repeated failed to demonstrate an8 year level understanding of the difference between "facts" and "proof" and that is not a minor detail. It is an easy to understand - should one actually care about the science - concept that is major.

Refusing to provide citations is not minor nor small error for anyone that has a clue about how science works or is not willfully ignorant or choosing to engage in deliberate deception.

That does bring up that you have failed to respond to your contradictions earlier today - as a reminder:

Supposition and not supported by a citation......
Interesting - so do you agree that making assertions on science without citations is invalid?

Are you unable to respond to your own words?

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Perhaps a citation would help you see it ! ;^)
Citations are usually only provided by people who have things worth citing, such as actual science on matters of science. What a concept!

Conversely - those without an ability to support their arguments will retreat from actual providing citations and engaging in all sorts of hand waiving to try and cover up their inability to be credible.

Here is an example of this dynamic at work:

"Haven't the climate change scientists been stating quite a lot in absolutes?
Holy cow! Did you really just write that?

Uh, no. They haven't. You could only make such a claim if your are unfamiliar with the actual science, don't understand how science actually works, or are totally clueless as to what you are making statements about. You really should accept my offer to at least come up to a an 8 year old standard on understanding the science as it will - if you actually care about accuracy - avoid ludicrous statements like the above.

How about this - please cite 5 scientific studies that make absolute claims related to theory. Just five will do.

If you cannot do that then you have again engaged in making things up.

We'll wait for those and the full scan.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
So does any of this mean we can trade carbon credits with Mars? I'd like to offset my carbon footprint even further.
Probably not since carbon credits generally go from high to low concentrations/production, and since Mars has a much great concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere doubtful "they" would want them, unless of course they wanted to warm up.

Mars Fact Sheet

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
Merriam-Webster is so last century and has been replaced by a more up to date source.

The link is in my post......

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Merriam-Webster is so last century and has been replaced by a more up to date source.

The link is in my post......
Um, changing the link doesn't change the meaning of the word or that you misused it.

101/105guy said:
"Haven't the climate change scientists been stating quite a lot in absolutes?
Flagging that is not pedant - what you wrote displays a major lack of even basic understanding of the science you are attacking.

How about this - please cite 5 scientific studies that make absolute claims related to theory. Just five will do.

This challenge has been outstanding now for more than long enough - assuming of course you bothered to research your claims - to post those 5 citations supporting your assertions.

If you cannot do that then you have again engaged in making things up.

We'll wait for those and the full scan. And likely wait, and wait, and wait since you made another assertion that is totally baseless.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Now, now, not need to try to be pithy especially since you got a bunch of stuff wrong earlier today:
Cross-threading started with this one, as TD missed the amusement in two earlier posts.

Furthermore, amusement is offensive.

If this thread remains about Mars, there can be some instruction and hopefully--amusement.

The intensity of political "science" on Earth has no place on Mars.

Again--this thread is about climate change on Mars.

·
Push hard and live
8,929 Posts
Sub...

Maybe Mars is getting warmer because it is receiving increased heat radiation from Earth which, as Skippy so enthusiastically points out, is due to humans rubbing science molecules together. Thus, Mars' climate change is due to human impact.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Again--this thread is about climate change on Mars.
Please - do tell how do we that the Mars climate is changing?

Be specific - and keep in mind:

subtle said:
Please cite your sources....
and counter to this
Subtle said:
...laws of physics don't change from 50 years ago or into eternity

41 - 60 of 91 Posts