Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the standard 14" x 5 1/2" rims on my 2000 which are not in great shape - rusty around the spot welds and one is damaged.
They are fitted with 185/70 tyres.

I saw 185/70's on GTA wheels, and they sat quite noticeably 'squarer' across the rim - less 'tucked in'.

EB spares do 6" steel rims to take the little 'sombrero' hub caps : Sports steel wheel. 6Jx14. ET24. late style for small hubcap for Alfa Romeo 105 parts and spares.
Does the extra 1/2" width make much difference to appearance or the handling with 185/70's?

·
Registered
what part?
10,245 Posts
yes.. sidewalls are more vertical, so you tread on the gound( contact patch) is much better..

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
hmm, not quite the reason for 'squarer' side wall. iv run a few different tryres [different brands, same size] on my orig 15" verde, and i know the squarest tire was the bridgestone g-grid. looks tops compared to the balloons most are.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback; the question is, is it worth going to 4 new 6" wheels, or just change the dodgy 5.5" wheel for the same width?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Barely noticeable difference for a road car. Some 6 inch wheels will have a different offset which will increase the track and make the car look 'better' but do spoil steering feel somewhat. Will allow you to fit wider tyres, although not much point going wider than 195 and they will work satisfactorily on a 5.5 inch rim.

FWIW I think the best options for this model are:
Daytona
Vega
GTA
Turbina
Superlite
standard steel
anything else

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
no I think standard is more like 35mm (as measured: 155mm overall width and 112mm backspace = 35mm offset - I could be a mil or 2 out eitherway though, you can measure yourself, you don't need a stripped wheel to do it, offset is just the distance from the centre of the rim to the hub surface where it bolts up)

24mm is a common size to fit 6 inch rims and fill the guards out a bit more (the outer wheel rim is about 22mm futher out than standard) but it does affect your steering geometry by increasing the scrub radius, which increases weight and contributes to tramlining.

It will be fine though (the momo rims I used to run on my 2000 were 21mm and they were OK, but I prefered some rims that were 29mm as it steered better). Its nowhere near as bad as when eascort rims are fitted, they are more like 10mm and just wreck the geometry totally.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Stock offset on 5.5'' wheels, steel or Turbina is 38 mm. The 6'' 24 mm offset wheel will have its outer edge 20mm outboard compared to the oe wheel. I think its fine, some 14x6 rims for GTVs are 20mm or less..

·
Registered
what part?
10,245 Posts
i have 16x7 wheels on my car.. yes, parking speeds a bit hard, but not much harder than the stock daytona( i have tryed this) but up to speed, with the 16x7 wheels, still light and nice..i run -.5 neg. camber and 1.5 castor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts