Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having a blast driving my 74 Alfa this past week. Was running errands today and thought why drive my boring daily driver, I’ll take the Alfa. Well As luck would have it about 2 miles away from home the engine died.
Called my wife, went back to the house to pick up tools and every spare part I could think of.
Luckily it was an easy fix. As I was looking around the engine bay I checked the top of the ignition coil to see if there were any loose connections. No loose connection but there was oil coming out of the top of the coil. I happened to have brought a replacement and the new one worked!

So big question - is there a prize for the first Successful road side repair 😎.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Yes! Buy yourself whatever you want.
Careful tho, or your car will expect you to be able fix it every time.
You should at least threaten it with being left at home if it does it too often.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like your thinking, can’t wait to see what I get myself!
I am heading out now to scold the car, never again little car!

·
Premium Member
15,855 Posts
Good fix.

I remember when driving my 64 Sprint GT one day on the local freeway, and a heater hose blew, spraying coolant here and there. Pulled to the side of the road, I searched the trunk for anything I might use for repair. Found a couple of old sparkplugs. Aha, I thought. Using my ever present Swiss Army knife, I cut the hoses, and was able to screw the old sparkplugs into the ends of the hoses using the sparkplug socket in the Alfa tool kit, essentially shutting off the heater completely. Was able to drive that sucker home successfully, about 60 miles.

Thus my habit of always having a "get home" box in the trunk of my DD at least. If I take either of the others, I transfer the box, substituting pieces depending on the car. When the clutch in the LS acted up in a SF hotel lot, the always present small can of brake fluid saved the day when I had to try bleeding it, successfully.

·
Premium Member
15,855 Posts
Having had a serp pulley blow up on me in my 91S in Nowhere, Wyoming, I now carry a small kit with all the parts and tools for changing a pulley and belt by the side of the road. Easy to do. Of course, I am much more careful now about making sure that if I set out any great distance with that car, I install a new pulley before I hit the highway.

My choice is a Dayco plastic version with a larger bearing, #89042 IIRC. That one requires a special bushing, which I made on my metal lathe. No big deal. I'm sure the regular Dayco called for, #89018, would be fine. The OEM metal one just isn't that good, being all metal, maybe too hot. All the pulleys these days are made from vaned plastic of some sort, staying cooler, IMO.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Ha! Del...I had the same heater hose issue, same 64 GT, and it was deep winter (natch) so instant, total fog up as I entered a busy intersection. Sailed thru unscathed. Someone was looking after me.

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
Once this COVID-19 situation is abated, you will be notified from HQ, as to when and where the award ceremony will take place, until then keep up the good work. Please visit the online shop and perhaps order the official vest that most of us place the merit badges we earn on. Trust me if you own an Alfa long enough, you will become quite accomplished, and the official vest is the accepted method of correctly displaying them. Once again excellent work, and the foresight of having a spare has earned you an additional badge. Well done.

·
Registered
23 Posts
well.....
I only have the creditcard as a spare part tool.
from experience you always have the wrong selection of tools and parts in the boot/trunk
the selection of tools and parts is based on previously experienced repairs, not what is up next....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Not an Alfa but, Had a ‘63 MG and was out driving with my girlfriend / now wife. We had the top down glorious day. Smile’s all around and then the engine died. That car had one fuse that if it blew everything stopped. Luckily my fuse hadn’t blown, it slipped out of the socket. Asked my girlfriend if she had a rubber band. She did, and I used that to secure The fuse and we were off again! Can’t bring that car up without her reminding me how it ran on a wound up rubber band.

·
Registered
5,479 Posts
In my 70 xr-7 the alternator belt broke. Drove till battery suffering — knew i had to save enough juice to start the car —My girlfriend took off her pantyhose, I cut it to fit and made a temp belt. Made it home no problem —

·
Premium Member
2,784 Posts
Had a ‘63 MG Midget. It was rough, real rough. I was on my way to see my girlfriend (now wife, the Lovely Donna), when a rock holed the radiator right before going over the San Mateo bridge. I walked back to the nearest intersection and bought two of the mega-packs of Juicy Fruit gum, Bars Leak and a couple gallons of antifreeze.

Chewed the gum and stuffed it in the hole, where the residual heat dried it out. Poured in the Bars Leak and the antifreeze and motored over the bridge.

Fix lasted until I got married and a wiser mind decided that an aluminum V8 swap was not conducive to our matrimonial bliss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
12,551 Posts
No merit badge...If you haven't made a roadside repair, you have never owned an Alfa
Don't think I've ever had an Alfa break down on me.

I have had a Toyota Corolla gearbox mount require an extra bolt 2 minutes after I purchased it ... stopped at Bunnings, sorted.

Had a VW Golf Mk4's undertray fall down. Fixed in a service station with cable ties
Pete

·
Premium Member
15,855 Posts
Loved the story about the pantyhose. If that had happened to one of my cars, I would have been out of luck, my wife not being one of the type to wear those if she can help it (well, you know those Phd Physics types, lol). It's the brains I dearly love, lol.

Also not an Alfa, thank goodness, but a friend had a tired 1950 Chevy two door coupe we poor college students took skiing at Timberline ski resort in Oregon after he returned from a long job in Palm Springs helping to built the aerial tram. The car had the straight six engine, three on the tree tranny (he always had three trannys, one broken, one repaired on the shelf, and the one in the car), and complete with a necker knob on the steering wheel, of course it did, in those days, lol. Anyway, after sitting overnight at the lodge, we started the car to drive back to Seattle, only to have the coolant run out from a crack which ran the whole length of one side of the block. I mean it ran out in a sheet, lol. It was so funny to see. He had forgotten to put antifreeze in the car after driving it for a couple of years in So Cal.

We were able to coast downhill a few miles, I'm guessing ~15 or so, almost all the way from the lodge down to the town of Rhododendron while running the engine a couple of seconds at a time sans coolant to make it to the nearest gas station, where we bought a very small can of some stopleak, I think it was a Union 76 brand, a thin white runny liquid, looked like milk. We poured that in, added antifreeze, and it stopped the leak completely. He drove that car like that for the next several years before he sold it. Couldn't believe it lasted that long.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Eddie... was that a new coil? Been there with the coil failure... now I'm anxious to drive an old car with an equally old coil. But I'm also wary of the new ignition components imported from Cheapistan.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My car has the Magneti Marelli ingition so I purchased a high output coil from Summit Racing, SUM-G5215. I do not have the Magneti Marelli coil.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts