Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people.

I have a deal on a Grand Prix I´ll pick up soon. But I wonder if there is a possible way to verify that the car actually is a GP?
As far as Centro documentazione knew, then there wasnt any way to differentiate them from the normal GTV6 in the VIN-numbers.

Supposedly it is a GP according to the seller. And it looks like a GP. But all Alfa could tell me, is that it´s produced 5th of april 1985 and delivered Switzerland 3rd of march 1986.

According to other documentation I´ve found on this page, the GP actually was a official model. But how could we confirm the originality of a car unless its possible to document it?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I remember a friend from Poland had sent me some pix of the Grand Prix GTV6 he found for himself. One thing that stood out as very different than a standard GTV6 was the center console just below the dash (where the A/C and radio are usually found). It was much larger with a bunch of extra gauges.

That may be only one detail… but should help in being more sure it's a GP. Maybe you can find pix of other GPs to check on body graphic stripes, badges, add-on plastic cladding, and any other detailing that may have come from the factory.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The GP you are talking about with the special console, is not the official car, but the rebuilded German earlier ones. Made by Hackner, and later Zender. The one offered from alfa has different details and styling. But look normal inside.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Good to know. Glad you had more facts on that than I, so I didn't steer you off the trail. If you find any pix that show visual clues on the difference between a GP and a standard GTV6, we'd like to see those. I think, over here in the US, we only saw Baloccos and Maratonas. Don't believe ALFA ever shipped any GPs to us.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Do you know the car’s history? My Grand Prix left the factory in 1985 as well, but was sold New in Luxembourg in 1986. Like yours, Alfa could not confirm that mine was different from any other euro delivery GTV-6.

What color is it and what color was it when new. Mine is and was silver. Other Grand Prix colors were black, dark gray and red.

Does it have the following:

1. special grill with solid sections inside of inside headlights. Mine was lost;

2. Grand Prix stripes

3. special Grand Prix rear spoiler

4. Grand Prix front and rear covers, fender Flairs and side skirts

5. Rayton Fissore badges on front fenders behind wheels.

The more you have of these, the more likely your car is a GP. Of course, provenance is the only real proof. I know the history of my car back to 1986 when first sold, so I am pretty sure it is real.

There was also a “Grand Prix” version of the Alfetta GTV 2.0 that was red with a black stripe made in around 1982, as well as a German version from 1984 that had the modified center console. These are different cars.

If you stumble across a Grand Prix grill let me know. It is the one thing above that I am missing.

Rex

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you know the car’s history? My Grand Prix left the factory in 1985 as well, but was sold New in Luxembourg in 1986. Like yours, Alfa could not confirm that mine was different from any other euro delivery GTV-6.

What color is it and what color was it when new. Mine is and was silver. Other Grand Prix colors were black, dark gray and red.

Does it have the following:

1. special grill with solid sections inside of inside headlights. Mine was lost;

2. Grand Prix stripes

3. special Grand Prix rear spoiler

4. Grand Prix front and rear covers, fender Flairs and side skirts

5. Rayton Fissore badges on front fenders behind wheels.

The more you have of these, the more likely your car is a GP. Of course, provenance is the only real proof. I know the history of my car back to 1986 when first sold, so I am pretty sure it is real.

There was also a “Grand Prix” version of the Alfetta GTV 2.0 that was red with a black stripe made in around 1982, as well as a German version from 1984 that had the modified center console. These are different cars.

If you stumble across a Grand Prix grill let me know. It is the one thing above that I am missing.

Rex
I know it was sold new in Switzerland in 1986 and unregistrated in 1996. Then brought to Norway in 2000 but never registrated here.
Same owner in Norway for the last 18 years.
Originally it was Alfa red. Now it is in a Ferrari Red from the same era.

Your questions:

1: yes
2: removed during a repaint in 2003
3: yes
4: yes to all
5: No. But it could be stored somewhere with the extra parts I get to it. Possibly removed during the repaint in 2003.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
These cars were reportedly sold new in Switzerland, Luxemburg and Belgium, so this all sounds pretty good.

Congratulations!

Pix would be nice. Hopefully right side up.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
These cars were reportedly sold new in Switzerland, Luxemburg and Belgium, so this all sounds pretty good.

Congratulations!

Pix would be nice. Hopefully right side up.
Just a teaser. More later ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
More pictures taken a couple of weeks ago when I first saw the car IRL

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some more pictures.
The original wheels also follows the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And a Corvette and square body Suburban? Bravo! Very rare indeed for Norway...
I don't know about that. Corvettes and surburbans are very common here, especially compared to gtv6's in general. And I don't think it was a Surburban, but a huge lifted early 70's Bronco with big tires.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
You have made a deal on that car already? I have seen photos of it many years ago and know the owner. He is actually collecting Audi RS4 B5 cars, but ended up with the GTV6 GP as it was a good deal and it looked interesting. Obviously he did not have time to spend on it, with many other activities, and sold it eventually. Hopefully the car will get great attention from now on!

G.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You have made a deal on that car already? I have seen photos of it many years ago and know the owner. He is actually collecting Audi RS4 B5 cars, but ended up with the GTV6 GP as it was a good deal and it looked interesting. Obviously he did not have time to spend on it, with many other activities, and sold it eventually. Hopefully the car will get great attention from now on!

G.
Yes I've been in contact with him for a long time, and a deal is made. I'll go to work today for 2 weeks, and pick it up when I get back. And start working on it as soon as I'm home again. It needs some attention, as its been parked basically for 22 years now. It would be interesting to see how much I have to to. But probably complete overhaul of all brakes, electrical issues, everything of rubber in the chassis. And some rust, but not too much (as far as I've seen).

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Yes I've been in contact with him for a long time, and a deal is made. I'll go to work today for 2 weeks, and pick it up when I get back. And start working on it as soon as I'm home again. It needs some attention, as its been parked basically for 22 years now. It would be interesting to see how much I have to to. But probably complete overhaul of all brakes, electrical issues, everything of rubber in the chassis. And some rust, but not too much (as far as I've seen).
I look forward to see the car in good shape in the future!

With regards to the differences between GTV6 2,5 regular and the factory GTV6 2,5 Grand Prix I can only find the styling plastic Add-on external parts designed by Rayton Fissore, making the last version of the GTV6, trying to create a difference to the then 5 year old model. Thanks for the last attention, but for a special model it could have been more, like 3L engine , leather seats and aircondition as standard. Considering the state of the Alfa finances at the time righ before the FIAT take over, it was well done anyway. This was probably a kick to get the last cars to be sold.

Here the introduction info from Feb. 1986 in German, sourced from the excellent Belgian GTV6 site(confirming the external plastic add ons and Wheels as only difference) and video of an Australian Grand Prix with RHD.

G.

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally home! I got it home this monday. And managed to fire it up today! Been struggling a bit with fuel delivery and leakage of course. First it startet on 4 sylinders, but after some knocking with a screwdriver and a hammer on a couple of injectors, everything sounds perfect!

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Nice sounding that engine!

Did you change the belt first or took the chance and started as it was after all those years?

G.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice sounding that engine!

Did you change the belt first or took the chance and started as it was after all those years?

G.
I checked it visually first, and startet diagnosing the car. I wanted to do that first, because there was a possible way then that I could go to ID tomorrow. I knew that if I manage to start the car, I could rent the red plates, and be sure about having enough time to change the belt.
But without the car starting, I never know how long it would take to diagnose what the problem is.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts