Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I'm reaching out to ask if there is someone in the Vancouver B.C. area who is well versed in setting up spica systems and would be willing to help me with my 74 spider. I purchased a rebuilt TA from Wes as well as his manual, followed the instructions and can't get it right. thanks in advance Keith

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
We can guide you thru setting up your Spica. What is the engine doing now? Are you using Wes' instructions to tune your fuel injection or are you using someone else's? Let us know where you are in the process and we'll take it from there.

- Drew

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We can guide you thru setting up your Spica. What is the engine doing now? Are you using Wes' instructions to tune your fuel injection or are you using someone else's? Let us know where you are in the process and we'll take it from there.

- Drew
Thanks for the reply Drew, I followed Wes' instructions for replacing the TA, realizing the initial set up would be close and requiring fine tuning after. Right now it seems to fire right up from cold and as it warms up it seems to run like as if it was flooding, smells rich at the pipe.
Also it popped #6 fuse a couple of times. The temp according to the gauge seems to top out at 150 degrees, not 175 as I have read. I took out the fuel solinoide and energized it and it does pop out, there is varering info on how many turns to thread it in for a close setting..feel ,free to chime in folks, on how many would be correct. I'm afraid I'm falling asleep at the keyboard right now so I will try to think what else I can add on the weekend. best Keith

·
Premium Member
6,640 Posts
Replace your thermostat is is probably stuck open - need to get to a full 175 for the TA to extend all the way

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Don't rely on your temp gauge in the car for an accurate reading.Mine was reading 150 all the time and I was concerned with also setting up my Spica when not 175.Had friend with IR temp reader do a reading on my hot engine and sure enough registers 175 so my set up was fine. 50 + year old gauges not as reliable as when new.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
I agree with goats, change out you try thermostat. It’s not that big a job. Just remember to bleed the cooling system afterward. Again, not a big job. If you can borrow an IR thermo gun they come in handy too. Just be careful where you take your readings. Hoses aren’t a good source.

Have you checked your pump to make sure that it is not a leaker? There are a couple of quick checks to do here. Pull out your dip stick and give the oil a good whiff. Does it smell like gas? If it does your pump needs a rebuild. Also pull out the little oil filter that’s inside your Spica pump. Be careful there are little screws and a spring that can go flying if you are not. Order a couple of Spica filters from Joe Cab (Centerline Alfa) to have on hand. If the old filter smells like gas or you find a gooy mess it’s probably time for a rebuild.

If Wes hasn’t rebuilt your pump you probably have the old crown bolt on your fuel cutoff solenoid. Take a look and see if you do. If you don’t have the wrench back channel me with your name and address and I will be glad to send you my old one.

I’d also recommend making yourself a dummy T/A using a 4 in. carriage bolt, a washer, and a couple of bolts. The exact sizes are in one of John Stewart’s posts in the stickies above. The rebuilt T/A’s from Wes have a hot extension of 31mm and the well that is inserted into the pump is 18mm so your washer will need to be 49mm up the carriage bolt. You use this dummy T/A to make the preliminary adjustments to the screw in the bottom of the well. The beauty is that you can make preliminary adjustments to the screw without having to bring the engine up to 170* or risking damage to your new T/A. Your final tweaks will be made using your new T/A with the engine at 170*. The goal here is to get the reference gap at the rear of the pump to .019 in. This is the most important thing in the tuning process.

We are here to help you so keep us posted. There are no stupid question here.

- Drew

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with goats, change out you try thermostat. It’s not that big a job. Just remember to bleed the cooling system afterward. Again, not a big job. If you can borrow an IR thermo gun they come in handy too. Just be careful where you take your readings. Hoses aren’t a good source.

Have you checked your pump to make sure that it is not a leaker? There are a couple of quick checks to do here. Pull out your dip stick and give the oil a good whiff. Does it smell like gas? If it does your pump needs a rebuild. Also pull out the little oil filter that’s inside your Spica pump. Be careful there are little screws and a spring that can go flying if you are not. Order a couple of Spica filters from Joe Cab (Centerline Alfa) to have on hand. If the old filter smells like gas or you find a gooy mess it’s probably time for a rebuild.

If Wes hasn’t rebuilt your pump you probably have the old crown bolt on your fuel cutoff solenoid. Take a look and see if you do. If you don’t have the wrench back channel me with your name and address and I will be glad to send you my old one.

I’d also recommend making yourself a dummy T/A using a 4 in. carriage bolt, a washer, and a couple of bolts. The exact sizes are in one of John Stewart’s posts in the stickies above. The rebuilt T/A’s from Wes have a hot extension of 31mm and the well that is inserted into the pump is 18mm so your washer will need to be 49mm up the carriage bolt. You use this dummy T/A to make the preliminary adjustments to the screw in the bottom of the well. The beauty is that you can make preliminary adjustments to the screw without having to bring the engine up to 170* or risking damage to your new T/A. Your final tweaks will be made using your new T/A with the engine at 170*. The goal here is to get the reference gap at the rear of the pump to .019 in. This is the most important thing in the tuning process.

We are here to help you so keep us posted. There are no stupid question here.

- Drew
You Guys are awesome, thanks!
A bit of background, I have been rebuilding this car for about 5 years in the evenings and the odd weekend, I am planning to post a thread about it when she is done. I could never have done this without the great group we have here..thanks

Goats
-what would be the correct thermostat to buy?

Elsieker
-agreed

Spider73
-no smell of gas in the oil...the original failed...I know that mess..lol
-I had bought the pump from a fellow member in 2008, it was fresh from Wes then
-I made the dummy TA at 29mm and adjusted it to achieve 19

1 - 8 of 8 Posts