Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out the 1980 Ferrari Pinin Concept. See any similarities to the 164? It has the distinct body line down the side and the blacked-out side window treatment that makes the center pillar almost disappear and check out the general shape of the front spoiler. ;) Also found here: http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.php?file=car.php&carnum=2596
Charles

Attachments

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
You have to invision rearview mirrors on this car as well. Notice the thin flat roof like a 164. ;) I think I'll just start referring to my 164 as "The Pininfarina Quattroporte" like you could call this one as well. ;) It's not as wedge shaped though as a 164, which is a very nice trait and something that would have improved the look of this Ferrari if you ask me. ;) Now I'm not suggesting a Ferrari conversion for your 164, just thought it was interesting.
Charles

·
Premium Member
9,741 Posts
You have to invision rearview mirrors on this car as well. Notice the thin flat roof like a 164. ;) I think I'll just start referring to my 164 as "The Pininfarina Quattroporte" like you could call this one as well. ;) It's not as wedge shaped though as a 164, which is a very nice trait and something that would have improved the look of this Ferrari if you ask me. ;) Now I'm not suggesting a Ferrari conversion for your 164, just thought it was interesting.
Charles
That thing is Wicked cool! I would say back in those good ole' Pininfarina was on that kick with all his cars including the caddy!

That saggy rear end is very ferrari though!

Cools pic's

·
Registered
596 Posts
I don't know... I think it's closer to Ferrari's 400 (coupe.) Though both from the same design house, the 164 is imo distinctly Alfa. I see some similarities, but long lost cousins at best.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a good way to describe it, It is wicked cool! This was kind of an excuse to post pics of it. ;) Granted, not exceptionally close cousins but you can see some family traits. Just imagine an Alfa grill on the front though intead of the large mouthed Ferrari grill and you nearly have a 164, headlights and all, although I'll bet it's a larger car. The pics of the interior have some rows of black square buttons similiar to the 164 too but, mostly in the lower console.
Charles

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
It's a style that Pinninfaria was busily developing during that period.
Like most Farina designs, it has aged very well.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
If you have a 24-valve 164, you could call it "Quattroporte" if you wanted, and you'd be stating a fact :p

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
That car sold for $60,000 according to a website I found! BTW it's top speed was only 3 mph higher than a 164L. I can't image trying to work on a V8 under the hood a Thema/Croma/164/9000 type four chassis. :eek: Cool car though. I'd like to take one for a spin! BTW: Quattroporte refers to four-doors, not four valves.
Charles

·
Registered
503 Posts
what about "quattrovalvo" though ;)

So 1991 -1993 are quattroportes

and 1994 -1995 are quattrovalvo quattroportes....

Alright, I need something to do here at work :eek:

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What does that make a 164 Q4? ;)
Charles

·
Registered
423 Posts
Unfortunately, I never tried driving a Ferrari - maybe one day...

But I think that the 164 Q4 is the 4-door Ferrari when it comes to handling and the Thema 8.32 for engine response and sound - of course :D

By the way, if you can find the right mechanic the engine doesn't have to be taken out when changing timing belt - which has to be done every 20.000km/12.000miles.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's a sweet Scuderia you have there, an 8.32 and a Q4, sweet! :D
Charles

·
Registered
181 Posts
The real 4 door Ferrari, Quattroporte Sport GT

This is the real 4 door Ferrari. i'm talking about the paddle shifted cars, not the automatics. I love these cars, they have a real sporting edge to them that is absent in just about everything else this side of a 430. The engines are assembled at Ferrari and the platform was developed with Ferrari. All Ferrari technology.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've even seen a few of these around Chattanooga. They seem to be selling well. What's good for Maserati, will be good for Alfa's possible return to the U.S. ;) But let's hope that Vdubs troubles in the U.S. doesn't scare Alfa away! :( Well, if Alfa doesn't return and our 164s get too old, we'll just have to buy Quattroportes! ;) I wish.
Charles

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
That Q-porte is a sweet looking ride but man the price makes my $900 164 much more the bargain even after paint and repairs I have done.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts