Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just paid for a complete Stebro exhaust system May of this year. I have not been able to reach the company for about three weeks either by phone or by e-mail. Does anyone know if they are shut down or in some trouble?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Hopefully you paid by credit card and they can get you a refund. Contact them NOW for a vendor non delivery claim. Lots of threads here indicating BIG problems at this company for some time.
Elio

·
Push hard and live
10,903 Posts
Dan at Stebro is an outright crook, in my opinion. Do everything you can to get your money back NOW. Do not believe anything he tells you. He will try to delay you past the date when you can make a claim on your credit card. At one point he was no longer able to accept credit cards, presumably due to the number of claims against them. I hope you did not pay cash. If you did, your money is gone and you will get either nothing, or an incomplete system, or a system with such poor quality that you will be afraid to use it.

I thought everyone knew about Stebro by now. Alas

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Another Stebro Horror Story

I ordered a system for my '95 Audi S6. 3 effing months later I got a pile of junk that my mechanic doubts he can make work at all. $1600 down the drain. Here's the clue that I shouldn't have overlooked. If a supplier tells you to use paypal or western union instead of a credit card, (machine is not working or some such story) run away as fast as your little legs can carry you. ;) *sigh*

·
Push hard and live
10,903 Posts
It has become abundantly clear that Dan at Stebro has devised a pretty neat international scam system, whereby he steals from clients in the US from behind the safety of the border with Canada. It's just too hard to prosecute such small claims across the border, and also too small for all of us to band together in some way to take him down.

Note that I have recently been using my American Express via Paypal for international purchases. When Paypal won't back me up, Amex does. At that point Paypal pretty much gives in.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
The sad thing is, that at one time they made decent stuff. I am talking about the mid 90's. They had a rear section for the Milano that was pretty good. I wonder if they were bought out. For the past few years it seems everyone has problems with them.

Greg

·
Push hard and live
10,903 Posts
Of curious note....

About a week ago I received a note from the Canadian BBB that Stebro had asked to re-open the case I had filed about 3 years ago with an offer to "exchange the incorrect part". Of course, my claim was not that he supplied the incorrect part, but that he did not provide 1 of the 3 parts that I paid for. I replied to the BBB and they quickly responded that the case was being closed again as "unresolved".

The BBB doesn't find fault, they simply record whether a dispute was resolved or not. A buyer seeking a referral from the BBB can draw his own inferences if a vendor has a great many cases that are unresolved.

I recommend that anyone with problems with Stebro file a BBB case, and stick with it through to the end so that they end up with a substantial record of this abuse. Thus, anyone who makes a check with BBB will quickly be steered elsewhere.

I've got higher priorities, but would contribute something to anyone who organizes a group effort that led to prosecution. I'm convinced he's an intentional crook and not just a sloppy business person.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Eventually came through...

A number of years back.. 2006 or so?... I had ordered a full SS Stebro system for my 164LS from the headers all the way back to rear. Everything came except the cat section.... went around about that for awhile... but want to say after about 7-9 months later that section finally arrived, making the system complete.

I consider myself one of the fortunate ones. As for the exhaust system itself? Sounds glorious, and still holds up very well. Currently I have the car up on the rack for other reasons, and the exhaust is in fantastic shape!

One of the lucky ones....

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
This is so sad. After having my system reworked by 2 shops, the local guy, and then by my world class guy in the Bay Area, the system now *sort of* fits in the car, and does indeed sound fantastic. The founder of Stebro was a genius engineer, but when he died, the new owner was a slimeball crook. I offered to buy the business from slimeball, but he was too stupid to know when to take the money and run.

*WARNING*

He is still in "business" via various web platforms. The chances you'll get anything for your money are to low to quanitfy.

·
Push hard and live
10,903 Posts
My extensive experience with him has convinced me that his slimeball tactics are not simple ignorance or sloppiness. He is out to intentionally rip off people.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
I'm one of the lucky ones too but I delt with him in 2004.

What had me worried right off the bat was he charged my visa the day I placed the order vs when the system was shipped. He also gave me a bogus tracking number but he did answer his phone and I received the exhaust system but it took 3 months.

·
Push hard and live
10,903 Posts
Regarding BBB...

Dan repeatedly tried to get my poor rating of him reversed. Periodically he would tell the BBB that he had either resolved the problem, or had tried to resolve it and was awaiting my answer. They would then contact me, with their letter essentially saying if I did not respond to them they would consider my case "resolved". So, I'm betting at least some of the 29 resolved cases were the result of people just tossing the letter from the BBB and moving on with their lives.

The last time around, less than 6 months ago (my original order was placed in 2006), I told him that the credit card company had refunded my money. He then wrote to the BBB and told them that HE had refunded my money. They wrote to me. I explained to them that my statement was purely intended as a trap, and that they should ask Dan for proof that he had refunded my money, and that I had set him up so that they could see him as a consistent liar, and CLOSE MY CASE ONCE AND FOR ALL. He has tried to get it changed to "resolved" about once or twice per year since 2007.

Since I suggested that the BBB ask for proof he refunded the money (which he did not), it has been the sound of crickets.

Any bets on whether he resurfaces in another scam business?

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
i almost considered getting a stebro.

thank god for this bulletin board.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts