Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Alfa Spider
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently installed a new OVS, WIX oil filter, SPICA oil filter, and oil change with MOBIL 1 15W50, and notice my oil gauge was reading higher than normal. Connected a manual oil gauge and got the following readings:

70-72 psi @ 750 RPM COLD

70 psi @ 700 RPM WARM....about 150 Degrees
80 psi @ 4500 RPM WARM

60 psi @ 700 RPM When Reaching Operating Temp
80 psi @ 4500 RPM When Reaching Operating Temp

40 psi @ 700 RPM Operating Temp after 10 minutes
80 psi @ 4500 RPM Operating Temp after 10 minutes

PSI Rarely, if ever goes above 80-82 psi @ 4500-5000 RPM
Jaeger gauge reads slightly higher, but nothing to worry about.

Are these numbers within acceptable range?

Thanks

·
Registered
381 Posts
Fresh oil will always increase your oil pressure, as time goes by it loses viscosity, hence the figures drop. These are the figures from one of the Alfa manuals, however no one seems absolutely sure what the pressure relief should be set at.
Engine oil pressure, warm @ 800-900rpm 7.1 - 14.2 psi
Engine oil pressure, warm @ 5000rpm 49.8 - 71.1 psi

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
40 psi @ 700 RPM Operating Temp after 10 minutes
80 psi @ 4500 RPM Operating Temp after 10 minutes
What is your oil pressure after twenty to thirty minutes of driving with outside air temperatures in the 80 to 90 degree range? Oil temperature in my Spiders seems to take longer than 10 minutes to stabilize, after the coolant reaches operating temperature.

·
Premium Member
14,310 Posts
I have an oil temperature gauge and I can drive at least 10 miles before the temperature starts to increase significantly. Driving flat out, driving at a steady 70 mph or being stuck in traffic will raise it towards that of the coolant. That is when the oil pressure is lowest - about 70 psi at high rpm. I would not worry about the pressures that you are seeing.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
I wold not worry about those pressures. Looks good to me.

·
Registered
78 Alfa Spider
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. I will be driving the car most of the day today. I will see what the numbers are when the oil gets to the same of the coolant and report back. Good to know that the numbers I'm seeing aren't anything to worry about though.

·
Registered
78 Alfa Spider
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After driving all day, oil pressure is 25 psi @ idle, 75 psi @ 5000 RPM....All looks good. Thanks to everyone for the advice

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
I have also been seeing "high" oil pressure. Mine will hit 90# when cold and 3,500 rpms. When hot she drops to 75 or so. Checked with analog old school gauge fed with 1/8" tubing.

·
Registered
78 Alfa Spider
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check the pressure at: Cold Idle, then again at operating temp at IDLE and at 5000RPM.....Then check again when the engine has been hot for a while, as Ed suggests. The numbers should come down. Keep in mind, the pressure relief valve opens @ 70-75psi if its working properly. If you're concerned about the pressure being too high, don't rev the engine when cold. Thats where you can run into problems. What oil are you running with?

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Castrol 10W30, engine is rebuilt to factory bearing clearances

I am considering tearing the engine down this winter to check the pressure relief valve, or send it in to a re builder. Hate to tear her down, running really good

·
Registered
78 Alfa Spider
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are some threads on the BB that talk about how to replace the pump and valve without taking the engine out. I would do a search and check those, or maybe someone will respond on this post..When did you have the engine rebuilt? Didn't you rebuild the pump and valve at that time? I would still run the engine for a while to get it really hot and check the numbers again.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
I rebuilt the engine last (2019 - 2020) winter. I did not rebuild the pump. I came from a low mileage motor, assumed the pump was ok. And I have run her hot, still 80 psi at 3500 rpms.
thanks for your help

1 - 12 of 12 Posts