Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it may sound funny but.. some time ago there was a topic here about the Popping from an exhaust of a boxer engine, it was said that it's quite normal. but recently i've been noticing that on the garage door there are like black dots and its in the direction of the muffler, i also noticed it on a cement floor also aligned with my muffler. could it be that when it pops it spits something out.. fuel maybe? could this be wrong timing??

·
Registered
755 Posts
The combustion of petrol will yield CO2 and Water, and as complete combustion is not always/ever possible in an engine, especially in a cold one (ie start up in your garage) carbon is also formed along with other nasties like CO and coats the inside of your exhaust system. So this water by-product of combustion mixes with the carbon particles and the pressure in the exhaust system pushes it all out the back onto your garage floor and door.
Its nothing to worry about and Alfas being Alfas (especially ones with carbies) tend to run a bit rich (or their owners tune them this way:D) so will tend to spit out more black water than any other.
Next time your in a high rise car park, take a look at the walls, you will see circular black marks - caused mostly these days from older cars, like Alfa 33's.

Oh and the water and acidic exhaust gasses are what destroy your exhaust system when its made from mild steel and fibreglass packed mufflers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts