Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pics of an 86 Alfa Graduate that is for sale that were sent to me by the current owner. The guy apparently bought it a couple of weeks ago and now wants to sell it. He says it runs. He wants $1900.00. Is it worth making an offer on? Are Alfas in this condition worth $1900.00? He has no history on the car either, and the top is gone.
Thanks for any and all input

·
Registered
147 Posts
Is it worth it?
In a word, no (IMHO $950 would be pushing it). Better to spend 3 or 4K on something with more potential, and less 'needy'.
You would be looking at at least that amount just to set the visible problems right, and that is with your labor not counted.

Just my .02
Dave G.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Is it worth it?
In a word, no (IMHO $950 would be pushing it). Better to spend 3 or 4K on something with more potential, and less 'needy'.
You would be looking at at least that amount just to set the visible problems right, and that is with your labor not counted.

Just my .02
Dave G.
agree....looks a little rough for that kinda money

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
I Would Agree

Although I'm not an expert on later Spiders (I'm more of an early Spider (Duettto) guy), this car looks like it needs a lot of work. Unless you are willing to do it yourself (maybe as a learning lesson on Spiders) I would steer clear of this car. I do know that the Graduate was the "low line" Spider when it was available, and does not have some of the equipment present on the "higher end" spiders. This can be good or bad depending upon what you want. Less equipment = lower weight and higher performance and fewer things to go wrong. Of course, it also makes it less desireable to those that are looking for a "modern" car.

It all comes down to your choice, but if it were me, and I was looking for a "project", I would look for an older car that has more possibilities for appreciation (both financial and personal).

If you want to enjoy the Spider experience without spending a lot of money and time on a "project" keep looking. I'm sure you could find a much better example at a much lower price than you would spend on this car before you're finished.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Very carefully!
I'd be interested in how they bolted it (the LR) down in the first place. Might the trunk contain a POs mother in law?!

Cheers!
Dave G.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Ah! Who let such a beautiful car go to rot!

Rusty Parts - listen to the advice above. You'd be doing the guy a favor to take it off his hands. LOTS of work to do.

Note: this car obviously sat neglected WITH the top down. Rain, snow, etc.

$1900 + $1500 body work + $4000 paint + $800 interior, etc. Better off to spend that money on a well kept example. This car might better be suited to someone with tools, time, experience, or willing to take on a huge project with all sorts of issues. Basically, there's nothing GOOD about this car.

Offer about $400-$500. My guess is the car has some issues under the hood as well (not to mention the ECU behind the seats which most likely got rained on). It says a lot that the owner bought, and is selling it immediately. You are buying his problems.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'll give him $50.00 for the trunk rack and he can through in the car for free.
Shipping he'd have to ship it free too.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thats is a complete pile of junk. You probably wouldn't part it out for 1500.00. In that condition you dont want it even if it was FREE. Must be a crackhead trying to sell that heap.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Poor car! It's only an 86 and in that bad condition. If that many problems are visible, what do you think isn't? I wouldn't pay more than $500, engine and trans may be worth saving, although the oil on the hood is scary. I suppose with enough money it could be saved, but wow...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just bought a similar 1982 Spider with 138,000 miles for $500.00. Mine actually looks better (same color) and I drove it home! The only issue I need to sort is the extent of the rust (which doesn't seem too bad)

The top is shot, it has a couple of dents, it needs rockers and paint, but runs like a top. I didn't buy it to part it out or resell it. I'm hoping to make a weekly driver out of it, and have some fun fixing it up. So far, I have replaced the 7 year old battery, and I bought new (cheap) tires on the way home from the PO's house. I picked up some used Turbina's from Gordy, and they will get cleaned and painted over the winter, and a nice set of Pirelli's on them.

I think that spider (if it runs and shifts) might be worth $400 to $500 for parts or as a donor car or maybe a track car? I'm sure you will spend a substantial amount of cash either way. My goal was to get a runner which I can work on in my spare time, and have fun with.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts