Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
9,921 Posts
I have used UV dye in my Alfa with no difficulties. I think I used that "Tracerline" brand sold by Amazon.

There is nothing unusual about the Alfa oiling system - since the stuff is rated for gasoline engines, I don't see how it could harm an Alfa.

Be sure to add it in the recommended concentration. Too much won't make it more visible.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Absolutely safe. I worked at Navistar engine plant in Melrose Park IL and we used it in every engine we built. There is a 55 gallon drum of red UV dye at the oil fill station and we add several ounces with each oil fill. The engines are hot tested and then inspected at a black light station for oil leaks. Great stuff for detecting leaks.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Attempting the dye product soon. Does any UV lamp for oil dye detection work with any brand of oil tracer dye? As I shop around I see the full kits are pricey with many bottles of dye, but buying them separately is more economical and I really only want one bottle, not like ten bottles. Just curious about the lamp vs the dye. I would expect a UV light is a UV light, but want to know if anyone has any more info on that.

Thanks,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts