Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've bought my 164L a year ago while in California and drove it back home to Alaska having no problems to boot! I recently bought another 164L and I've noticed a few things that had me wondering if my original car is really an L model. Both cars are the same year but my newer one appears be more in stock condition. The rear lettering this new one has a space between the 164 and the L. My first car doesn't. My new car has a duel tip exhaust muffler, my first car doesn't. The wiring seems slightly different between cars however for the most part they are the same. My question is, are they both really a 91' 164L or is one badged incorrectly? My an S fell off one of the cars?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
The muffler means nothing because either type will fit and often the dual tip S muffler was installed on the L and base models when the factory muffler was replaced.

From 94 on there was no L, only the LS in NA. I am not sure if 93 was the first year of the LS or the last year of the L. There were no 92 models I think.

So what is the build date on the US Federally required build plate/sticker (on the lower part of the B pillar inside driver's door opening)

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
Vin # for the B/L contains ZAREA33A
Vin # for the "S" contains ZAREA33E

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
9/90(9) on my first one. The last nine is faded so I'm not positive it suppose to show. The vin number of this car is, ZAREA43L1M6204265

My second car is 6/90.
Vin - ZAREA43L5M6195554

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
I believe these are both L models.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Perhaps the easiest/best way to verify whether it's a B or L is whether it has ABS. No ABS = Base; ABS = L

1 - 6 of 6 Posts