Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just purchused a 92 164s it was running great until it got cold out.
It now seems to be burning oil like no tomorrow. not only that its smoking lots of white smoke at start up and coming out of 1st. I also only get about 230km out of a full tank of gas city driving is this normal? Just tonight I went for a short drive and turned it off when starting again it was suffering having to pump the gas to get to idle when it leveled out my dipstick light came on my oil was about half between min and max but i think could smell gas in oil is this possible? and if so please help im geting a bit nervouse :( and new to this car i use to drive a 72 vw westfalia

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I just sold a Caravan that had gas coming out the muffler so I would say yes it is possible. When you started it up there would be a puddle of what I thought was watter (condensation) but upon further inspection I found that it was gas or mostly gas.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
First, welcome to the BB!

This is a great place and you will find some very knowledgeable and helpful people here... I'm not one of those experts on the 164s, but I will tell you that any car that suddenly consumes oil like there is no tomorrow, shoots out white smoke and is consuming more than twice the amount of gas than it should, is not anywhere close to ok. Take a step back and listen to what you are saying, and you will realize that you are just hoping that there is some fluke and this isn't real, but it is and it isn't going to go away...

Gasoline can get all the way down to the oil sump, and you will be able to smell it when you check the oil. Gasoline is fed into the combustion chamber so that it can explode and push down the piston. Since this is the only way in which gasoline is injected into the engine, it is possible that it is flowing down into the sump, because the rings that seal between the piston and the liners are not sealing properly (stuck or worse, broken?). A problem with the rings would also account for the excessive oil consumption. If this is the case, this is very bad. Gas does not lubricate. If anything, it washes the oil and this will result in real wear of the engine components. The white smoke is coolant being burnt off, so somewhere you also have coolant going into the combustion chamber. I don't know if your head gasket is blown, or the head itself is warped, or even if the scenario I described is accurate, but something is very wrong within the engine block and head. (Did you overheat the engine?) Even though I may be wrong with this guess (and I don't mean to scare you), I would not continue to drive the car. It does sound like you will have to remove the heads, but I would do a compression test and a leak down test to get more information. I'm not sure if your post here is to get guidance about doing this yourself but, if you depend on this car for daily transportation, you may want to consider taking it to a professional Alfa mechanic.

Best regards,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx very much for your time and help I will definitly take your advice and get it checked by a professional right away. Looks like may be worse than I thought. Ive only been driving it for about 3 weeks and I havent overheated it but it seems run around
100*c. It seems im gonna have to start doing some serious homework.I'll let everyone how it go's
Thanx again

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
100 Celsius is normal for the 164, when in traffic. Once you are moving at high speeds the temp gauge will go down (probably to the middle of the gauge), but if the temp needle is about 3/4 of the way up in stop and go conditions, this is ok...

Best regards,

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
One thing comes to mind, try pulling off the vacuum line from the back of the fuel pressure regulator and check it for fuel, if it goes bad, the engine can be sucking in fuel into the intake manifold. White smoke would normally indicate a bad head gasket, which you may try to fix by doing a head retorque, but check the FPR first off. You probably should do a compression check first though. Sorry your car is giving you trouble so soon in the ownership relationship. You will enjoy this car once you get it sorted out, I assure you, they are worth fixing. Welcome to the AlfaBB. :)
Charles

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Yes, I would also suggest re-torque the head and then do a compression test. Check spark plugs to see whether one (or more) cylinder has oil fouling. Check basic things (ignition, electricals, etc) to make sure you're running on all 6 cylinders ...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts