Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have adjusted my door latch so that it closes more easily however I have moticed that the rubber door stop on the lower portion of the door jamb is pushing the door out at the bottom, when opening the door with the handle it springs open with the force.

Is it normal to have to trim the rubber stop, mine looks like it's already been trimmed to a degree.

Thanks

Sean

·
Registered
11,625 Posts
Am I correct in assuming that before the adjustment this did not happen?

Please note the rubber stop (I assume you are talking about the wedge shaped rubber stop that is on the end of the door frame) can be adjusted in it's position. Just loosen the screws and relocate, then tighten.
Pete

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Am I correct in assuming that before the adjustment this did not happen?

Please note the rubber stop (I assume you are talking about the wedge shaped rubber stop that is on the end of the door frame) can be adjusted in it's position. Just loosen the screws and relocate, then tighten.
Pete
Hi Pete,

Thanks for the fast response.

To be honest I hadn't noticed, my main concern was getting the nose of the latch to stop striking the catch mechanism and slowly wearing it away and creating a massive burr.

It is the wedge shaped rubber stop, I did try loosening the screws but there was no apparent movement horizontally.

I'm going to take it off competely today to see if it is the problem, if the door closes with a good shut line without the wedge shaped rubber then it's that causing the problem.

Cheers

Sean

·
Registered
11,625 Posts
Hmmm ... I thought you could move the rubber wedge around by a few mm's in any direction as the screws used a smaller than the square holes.

BTW: Are your door hinges free of any play as that is where you should start. These doors are heavy.
Pete

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm ... I thought you could move the rubber wedge around by a few mm's in any direction as the screws used a smaller than the square holes.

BTW: Are your door hinges free of any play as that is where you should start. These doors are heavy.
Pete
Yup, I've tried lifting the doors at very open angles and the whole car moves, the doors are solid.

Here's a vid I made, passenger side closes like a dream.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, I removed the rubber thingy and no different, I've seen a great video by vintage customs that talks about the door seal, and mine is very hard, so wondering if it has hardened and this is what is causing the problem with oushing the door out.

It's another thing to try.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The replacement door seals are notoriously difficult to fit and get a good shut. BTW search this forum, there are some good threads about replacing door seals. If your door seals are original they are unlikely to be the cause of the problem (unless they have come adrift somewhere). Mine are the original ones and don't fit well around the driver's window because they have shrunk and become a bit hard but I haven't dared to replace them as they are well moulded to the shape of the doors which close nicely.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The replacement door seals are notoriously difficult to fit and get a good shut. BTW search this forum, there are some good threads about replacing door seals. If your door seals are original they are unlikely to be the cause of the problem (unless they have come adrift somewhere). Mine are the original ones and don't fit well around the driver's window because they have shrunk and become a bit hard but I haven't dared to replace them as they are well moulded to the shape of the doors which close nicely.
Yup, Jim over on AO pointed me towards a video which has been a great help, iirc the door seal on the drivers side looks a bit crushed out of shape and has hardened like that, not sure if there's a way to soften old rubber thats ossified.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
One way the old car guys use to bring back old rubber is to soak it in vinegar...don't quite know how to do it with the door seal in place tho
chuck

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Just picking up on PSK's suggestion about hinge play, and your answer "I've tried the door at VERY open angles..." Did you mean "every angle" rather than "very open" (wide open?) - you are more likely to detect any hinge pin slop when the door is just opened rather than wide open. I suspect it was just a typo/auto-correct thing....but just in case...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just picking up on PSK's suggestion about hinge play, and your answer "I've tried the door at VERY open angles..." Did you mean "every angle" rather than "very open" (wide open?) - you are more likely to detect any hinge pin slop when the door is just opened rather than wide open. I suspect it was just a typo/auto-correct thing....but just in case...
Yes, every open angle ;)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My door looks very similar to this. Same sort of shut lines.

Its almost as if the needs lift to get it to latch/unlatch
73GTVJim on AO pointed me in the direction of this video, there's a big chunk about halfway in about seal quality and door adjustment

:)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One way the old car guys use to bring back old rubber is to soak it in vinegar...don't quite know how to do it with the door seal in place tho
chuck
I saw a tip online to get silicone spray, dose the rubber liberally with it and then bag it in an air tight bag for a few days.

Dunno if there's some sort of impregnation thing that happens.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I saw a tip online to get silicone spray, dose the rubber liberally with it and then bag it in an air tight bag for a few days.

Dunno if there's some sort of impregnation thing that happens.
I used silicone spray on mine to try to revivify it around the driver's door window to make it seal better. Softened it a little but didn't make much difference (but I did it in situ on the car so I could not soak it).

·
Registered
11,625 Posts
My door looks very similar to this. Same sort of shut lines.

Its almost as if the needs lift to get it to latch/unlatch
kevr84 and GhostyDog,

This thread has gone off in the wrong direction. What kevr84 has said is the issue, ie. the door needs to be lifted to get it to latch. GhostyDog you have just lowered your latch to make it latch easier.

Therefore the problem is NOT with your seals but that your lower door hinge needs a thin packer to lift the rear of the door into correct alignment.

IE. - Before looking at the seals you need to get your door correctly aligned, and if it needs lifting or the latch was too high it is not.

A very thin packer/spacer between the door and the lower hinge makes a huge difference at the latch end.

That is what you need to do first :)
Pete

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
kevr84 and GhostyDog,

This thread has gone off in the wrong direction. What kevr84 has said is the issue, ie. the door needs to be lifted to get it to latch. GhostyDog you have just lowered your latch to make it latch easier.

Therefore the problem is NOT with your seals but that your lower door hinge needs a thin packer to lift the rear of the door into correct alignment.

IE. - Before looking at the seals you need to get your door correctly aligned, and if it needs lifting or the latch was too high it is not.

A very thin packer/spacer between the door and the lower hinge makes a huge difference at the latch end.

That is what you need to do first :)
Pete
How thin? Is there anything off the shelf available?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts