Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced the MS and ordered the rebuild kit for all 4. Pulled the cylinders and popped out the pistons with air. Lots of brake parts cleaner and some light sanding with 600 grain and everything is clean and shiney. Is it really as simple as pulling out the old rubber seal and putting in a new one? I suspose once the seals are in I should run the pistons in as far as nesessary to provide clearance for the shooes and disk? Are there any tricks I should know before hand. My wife says the garage is still full of obsenities from the h20 pump replacement. BTW 71' 1750 Spider

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Is it really as simple as pulling out the old rubber seal and putting in a new one? I suspose once the seals are in I should run the pistons in as far as nesessary to provide clearance for the shoes and disk?
Yup, other than pistons frozen in thier bores, that's about as complicated as it gets.

It won't hurt to use a small amount of brake fluid on the rings as lube to get the pistons actually in and then it's a little easier to put the dust boot and ring in after the pistons are pushed back into the bores.

Don't forget to orientate the pistons while you're at it. instructions and templates at IAP

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
It's an easy/dirty job.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again. Parts arrived today from Centerline. I never asked the price when I ordered. I was pleasantly surprized! Just about the cheapest thing I have done thus far. I have struggled with many of the facets of this rebuild, including the Spica and the H2O pump. This should be a breeze.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts