Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings list members,
I am a new member and this is my first post. I am new to Alfa’s and I am currently in the market for 1969-1974 GTV.
I have a question about parts compatibility between the 105 series GTV and the Spider cars, specifically the 1980’s Spider models (Series 3). I am wondering if a Spider would be a good donor for modern/improved parts for the GTV.

• Can the Bosch EFI motors be retrofitted?
  • How about the suspension or driveline components?
  • How about the steering rack? I would assume a late ‘80’s car would had rack-n-pinion
  • Are the wheels the same bolt patterns?
Thanks in advance!
Mike

·
Premium Member
22,160 Posts
* Bosch engine can be fitted but it requires some knowledge of hooking up the computer, sensors and where to put the ECU, AFM, etc. Some fuel system changes required. Folks have done it, but it's not a weekend job for the inexperienced.
* Suspension, brakes, trans, diff all identical other than springs, which will be a different length and rate, though they'll fit. Driveshaft and e-brake cable are different lengths.
* No rack, they have steering box. It'll fit and work unless the Spider has PS. Steering column length and details may different if it's a very late SPider.
* Yes, wheels are same.
Andrew

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Andrew, thanks for the great responses, I appreciate the info. It's a nice piece of info to have in my back pocket.

Mike

·
Premium Member
22,160 Posts
Not meant as an insult, but if you're asking these kinds of questions I'm guessing you may not be a candidate to do this kind of work yourself? Unless you're experienced on other marques and just new to Alfas...
Andrew

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Andrew, thanks for your concern. I'm sure there is a ton of stuff specific to Alfa's that I don't know. I didnt want to sounds assuming in my post.

But I guess I should have prefaced my questions with some of my technical skills. I have some experience repairing/rebuilding/upgrading suspensions, braking systems, engine mechanical intake and exhaust systems, driveline and differentials parts. I also have a quite a bit of experience with various EFI systems, including one very cool project of converting Bosch CIS to a fully electornic EFI using wideband 02 sensors, Mass Air, and aftermarket engine management. Nearly all of my experience has been with the 9 Audi's I have owned including the restoration of two very cool Audi Turbo Quatto Coupes.

I realize that Audi's are a very different breed than anything Italian and the vintage I worked on was much newer that the Alfa's I am considering. I don't know anything about the Alfa line or it's model compatibility or with others like Lancia and Fiat. So I am eager to begin the learning process, and ready to recognize which projects are best left to the professionals!

Thanks again for you help

Mike Benno
1984 URQ (034EFI, upgraded turbo, lightend exhaust, larger intercooler, Aluminum radiator)
1985 URQ (upgraded turbo, AC delete, 200q dirveline)
1987 VW Syncro Wagon (CIS allways needs everything!)
1990 90q20v (Motronic Upgrades, Brakes, ECU upgraded, Ported/ploshish head, coilovers)
1997 BMW 318Ti (M3 brakes/suspension)
1998 A6 Avant (stock)
2001 S4 Avant (stock)
2000 A6 2.7t (ECU upgraded, coilovers, cooling upgrades, and venting upgrades)
2004 Allroad 2.7t (swaped sport interior, ECU upgraded, swaybars)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts