Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I've mentioned, I've installed an elaborate audio system in the trunk of a client's '69 Spider which includes among other things a new Pioneer head unit and iPod Mini. I have an 'always on' wire to the head unit and obviously the iPod is attached to the head unit. While I have at times had the battery disconnected, it has never been for over a day. However I have a very low battery on the iPod to the point it won't come on.

I know nothing about MP3's but assumed this means it is always being recharged when attached to a unit with a separate 'always on' power source. Could the battery have gone bad in the iPod causing it to no longer charge or...???

I'd like to turn the car over to the client and this is the last, last minute glitch to come up that I've not been able to resolve.

Biba

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
With most rechargable devices, it's better to let them fully discharge before recharging, otherwise the battery kinda gets 'conditioned'.

The result is they don't hold a charge as long when idle and tend to die faster when in use (in some cases hours quicker) and refuse to take a 'deep charge' once they are conditioned to being charged constantly.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Darren, thanks. What I'm somewhat wondering is if an iPod Always uses the battery and when it is attached to 'an 'always on' connection it charges the battery...or...does the iPod pretty much ignore the battery and works directly off the 'always on' connection?

The client left his iPod with me about three months ago when he was here. Until recently it has worked fine, so I'm a bit at a loss what to do. I'm somewhat assuming the client is going to keep it in the car (which I've advised him to keep a trickle charger on) unless he removes the iPod to add some tunes.

Biba

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
If the Ipod is turned off and is connected to a power source, the screen should show a picture of a battery. If not, it probably isn't charging. I would disconnect it from the system and charge it with its USB/wall attachment. This will tell you if the IPOD battery went bad.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
The battery is probably moot. I think there should be a switched power to a modified USB 30-pin dock connector, that way it's not being constantly charged. Another option is that there could be no charging and it must be removed to charge/add music.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hmmm, if the ipod connects to the Pioneer HU via the ipod dock connector, the HU will charge it as long as the HU receives power (the JVC in my Jeep on the other hand won't charge the ipod unless the HU is actually turned on). I am pretty sure the ipod has charging regulator inside it, in other words even with constant power, it will stop charging when the battery is full. BUT, if the ipod sits for a length of time, the battery will begin to discharge. Once this happens, the charging circuitry will not kick in to top-off the battery, it just keeps slowly draining. When this happens, you need to disconnect/reconnect the charger in order to get it to charge again. That is something that would happen each time the car is started, if the HU were wired to switched ACC power instead of constant. This wouldn't be much of an issue if the ipod battery were in like new condition, but it's still not ideal.

Since you said it is an ipod mini, I assume it is at least a couple of years old and suspect the battery inside it is indeed toast. They are only rated to perform for 24 months of normal use. The battery in my wife's ipod mini only lasted 18 mo before it would no longer hold a charge, she used it a lot. Not long after I replaced the battery (not a trivial task but also not super difficult) it was stolen from her car. Replacement batteries are around $25 if i remember correctly. Personally, I would replace with a newer ipod nano since they use flash memory instead of the mechanical hard drive (more reliable, less power usage)

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
If you are connecting the iPod via the stereo mini jack headphone socket into an auxilliary in socket on the unit it won't charge. The iPod will only charge via a direct connection to the dock connector that you plug your USB cable into when downloading music. To charge an iPod you need a head unit that states that it has direct iPod control and comes with a dock connector cable. If your unit doesn't have this you can get a cigarette lighter power adaptor from an iPod store to charge it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I respectfully disacgree with the "conditioning" statement. While that was true 10-15 years ago, batteries, specifically the ones used in iPods, have come a long way and do not have the "memory" issues of the older generation rechargable batteries. You should not experience memory loss on a new rechargable battery, especially an Apple product.

With most rechargable devices, it's better to let them fully discharge before recharging, otherwise the battery kinda gets 'conditioned'.

The result is they don't hold a charge as long when idle and tend to die faster when in use (in some cases hours quicker) and refuse to take a 'deep charge' once they are conditioned to being charged constantly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts