Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so im going to admit right now that i have very little idea what im doing when it comes to restoring an old alfa.
ive done things like change brake calipers/rotors on Toyota, services, that kind of thing but never really anything heavy.
all of a sudden, i own a 1974 GTV 2.0.
deal of a lifetime.
literally got it for the price of towing it. :D
as you can imagine, i cannt sleep.. so ive been up for a couple of nights going through this forum looking at topics that go over starting it after its been sitting for 7 years, looking at future repairs on the rust,, things like that, what books i should order, etc.
however...
and this is a NOOB of a question i admit....
*** is that?
its obviously rusted out and needs replacing
:confused::confused::confused:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Looks like the infamous oil vapor separator (OVS). If I am correct, there are several threads on this topic if you look under the search function, including in the Spider forum.

Purpose is to route exhaust gases back into combustion chamber via larger hose shown at bottom in picture, as well as to return oil that separates out from exhaust vapors inside the OVS back to oil sump (the small line toward the bottom of the picture). This item is no longer being manufactured. Threads referred to above provide several ways various BB members have addressed this situation including how to assess viability of your existing unit. They range from using yours as is if OK, possibility of repairing/refurbishing your existing unit, buying a good used one from a third party, manufacturing/buying a new alternate unit from a BB member.

John

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you very much, my alfa books are expected to arrive in 2 months (???) from amazon. so ill be on here for a while. i appreciate it =D

·
Registered
448 Posts
Vermonters to the rescue! :)

By the way, welcome to the BB as we like to call it.

You may want to concentrate your searches in the GTV subsection of the forum. It's located on the main page in the Alfa Romeo Technical Forums section as GT (1965-1974).

Also I'd be posting some photos before you receive the rath of the other members. They can even be of the car as BB member GHNL likes to say.

·
Administrator
17,697 Posts
Also I'd be posting some photos before you receive the rath of the other members. They can even be of the car as BB member GHNL likes to say.
The word is wrath. But I don't have any wrath - just righteous anger when pictures are not posted. We must all abide by the forum's unwritten rules, right? No exceptions - not even for Green Mountain Boys.

So, how much is this 'free' car gonna cost ya?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's a great question.
The guy tgat had it before me spent 3200 on it in 04 just before he parked it, replacing a Costco sized list of things.
The car looks great minus a bit of floor,door, and trunk rust. Interior gave me a big rubbery one when I saw it the first time too.
Apparently the spica was acting up before he put it away though so I'm looking to go webbers on it.
But who knows really. I was looking for a spider when I stumbled across the gtv and I've only had it for 48 hours now.
I posted pix on the "post pix here" thread.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Welcome to the BB.

Don't be too quick to condemn the SPICA, especially since converting to Webers will probably run you north of a g-note. You may want to have someone familiar with the system have a look-see before committing to Webers, and if the pump itself is still good, it will most definitely be cheaper and easier to make the SPICA right.

When I got my GTV it was running very rich, fouling plugs and backfiring on deceleration. I ordered Wes Ingram's book ( Ingram Enterprises, Inc. to order) and scrupulously followed his diagnostic procedure. I determined I had a bad thermostatic actuator (T/A) and that the SPICA was badly out of adjustment. Following the instructions in his book, I was able to get it running strong, returning about 26 MPG (I know, all you SPICA gurus, I could probably make it even better with enough patience) and making only the noises an Alfa should make. Just after my adjustment and before storing it for the winter, I took it for a 600 mile round trip. Performed flawlessly. Total cost, about $300 for the new T/A.

You sound like you have at least as much mechanical knowledge as I did when I started wrenching on these cars, so with Ingram's book, this shouldn't be too much of a stretch for you. Plus, there is lots of good information on SPICA on this board and as well on one of the local Alfa club chapter's (I think it's AROO (Alfa Romeo Owners' of Oregon)) home page. The system is basically good, just wasn't well understood at the time. Much more good information available now. Give it a try.

·
Registered
270 Posts
That's a great question.
The guy tgat had it before me spent 3200 on it in 04 just before he parked it, replacing a Costco sized list of things.
The car looks great minus a bit of floor,door, and trunk rust. Interior gave me a big rubbery one when I saw it the first time too.
Apparently the spica was acting up before he put it away though so I'm looking to go webbers on it.
But who knows really. I was looking for a spider when I stumbled across the gtv and I've only had it for 48 hours now.
Some unsolicited advice...

If you really wanted a Spider, sell the GTV to someone who wants one (and can do the repairs it requires). With the money you made start looking for a decent running Spider for yourself.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
That's a great question.
Welcome to the BB!

1. For the price of Webbers (and the conversion bits) you could easily send your Spica off to Wes Ingram in WA (he's "The Man") for a rebuild. Many here would argue that Spica can't be beat when set up properly.

2. GTVs are much more rigid (thanks in part to the roof) than Spiders and in many peoples' opinion drive better. FWIW... restored Spiders are typically worth much less than restored GTVs (except '69 and earlier Spiders).

3. Don't underestimate the importance and cost of proper rust repair.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

If you really wanted a Spider, sell the GTV to someone who wants one (and can do the repairs it requires). With the money you made start looking for a decent running Spider for yourself.

Good luck.
you know, i thought i wanted a spider, and when i saw and sat in that gtv for the first time, i pretty much fell in love.
especially when i got it to start for the first time yesterday.

its running rich and the sparks i replaced were all blacked out as well (haven't taken on the road yet, no registration)
the Wes Ingram book has been recommended to me by a number of people at this point. its on order as it is, and well see if i can get it sorted out.

as far as the rust goes, im very lucky in that both my father and uncle can weld, not to mention ive made a friend of the welding instructor at Fullerton College.
would i like a spider? possible, but i also dont see me getting rid of this car for a LONG time.
too much fun =D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Good luck.
you know, i thought i wanted a spider, but when i saw and sat in that gtv for the first time, i pretty much fell in love.
especially when i got it to start for the first time yesterday.

its running rich and the sparks i replaced were all blacked out as well (haven't taken on the road yet, no registration)
the Wes Ingram book has been recommended to me by a number of people at this point. its on order as it is, and well see if i can get it sorted out.

as far as the rust goes, im very lucky in that both my father and uncle can weld, not to mention ive made a friend of the welding instructor at Fullerton College.
would i like a spider? possible, but i also dont see me getting rid of this car for a LONG time.
too much fun =D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts