Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all! I joined the forum to start to understand what I might be getting myself into with a '72 Alfa GTV 2000. A little history: I have owned and have been restoring classic Mustangs since 1977. I recently sold my personal '70 Grabber (If you are in the Riverside, CA area, look for a nice Yellow fastback with the black C-stripes and Mach I hood scoop and stripe). I am still trying to sell a 1969 Mach I 428 Super Cobra Jet that a friend and I restored over the past four years. I worked at a small AMC/Alfa/Lotus dealership back in 1975 prior to joing the Air Force. I fell in love with Alfas, but never got back to them once my first 'stang came along in '77. At the time, however, I had a '72 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe that I bought from that dealership (Sewickley Sales and Service near Pittsburgh, if anyone from that area remembers that far back). It was killing me to keep it running in Selma, AL. Anyway, I was talking with a friend that exports to South Africa about his latest visit there. He sent some pictures of a Ford Falcon that he is bringing back, and just happened to mention that he had a '72 Alfa GTV in the container as well. I about jumped through the phone. He says it's a US car that was sent over there years ago, and that it's a 2000, not a 1750. YIPPPPEEEEEEE. I told him that it was MINE when it got here. We'll have to see what he needs for it.

So, anyhow, I just wanted to drop in and introduce myself. I am 50, a mechanical engineer working for Harris Corp. in the Melbourne, FL area, married, four kids, the yellow lab, etc., etc.

Do you know anyone interested in a '69 428 SCJ?

From the pictures, can anyone give me a value on the car? He says it runs tight.

Attachments

·
Registered
505 Posts

Attachments

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Welcome to the BB, EdP.

...and just happened to mention that he had a '72 Alfa GTV in the container as well. ... He says it's a US car that was sent over there years ago, and that it's a 2000,...
Not to rain on the parade but the appearance of the car in the pics is not consistent with a US version 2000 GTV. It looks to be a Series 4 Junior 1.3/1.6. Can you post the chassis/engine numbers?

·
Supporting Vendor
4,365 Posts
the appearance of the car in the pics is not consistent with a US version 2000 GTV.
Right. There are several small but important differences between this and a US Spec. '72 GTV, including:

1) Big rectangular side marker lights on the US cars, Amber in front and Red in the rear.

2) The US Cars have ALFA ROMEO in block letters in the center of the trunk lid, with INEZIONE in italic text off to the right

3) All Red tail lights on the US cars, vs. Amber/Red on Euro cars

4) The US cars all had Spica mechanical fuel injection (that's what the INEZIONE badge on the back is all about)

5) USA cars had Amber front turn signals under the bumper.

6) USA cars had Green serpent badges on the C pillars

Here's a picture of my '72 for reference. It's possible that all of these items were changed over on this car, but the side markers would require major surgery to do so.

At any rate, the car looks to be in great shape and the fact that it may not be a US spec. car has very little to do with enjoyment or collectability.

Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Joe,

Thanks for the clarifications on the GTV. I'll be getting more info when the car arrives in late Dec.

·
Registered
268 Posts
could well be a 2000 engine was installed later. Check if the correct axle (with lsd) was also installed, as well as different front uprights with bigger brakes!
If you get us the VIN number, people like me can look it up in our Fusi (Alfa Bible!)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
VIN AR 3020713

I hope this is correct and accurate. Let me know what you can find out.

TIA!

·
Registered
898 Posts
To further confuse/enlighten:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-1965-1974/51189-my-new-dream-car.html

This thread illustrates how dramatically these cars can be altered without appearing 'wrong'.

Without speaking for everyone etc. I have noticed a trend toward removal or replacement of US DOT equipment such as side markers, putting carbs in place of Spica injection and so on during a 'restoration' and minimizing the US 'look at me' trunk badging. For new tail light lenses only Euro style are readily available. In my opinion, if the VIN you supplied is correct it's a US car that a previous owner Euro-ized.

Now I'm off to remove the extra trunk badging, big DOT side markers, front spring spacers, Spica and etc from my current US 72 GTV project.;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, it has been in South Africa for some time, so it's highly likely that it was altered for that country. I'll be interested to see the actual VIN info. Dang, I won't see this car until late Dec. or early Jan!!!!

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
We are in the $90,000 range for the SCJ. Negotiable.

I remember the early '70 gas crisis. You couldn't give these big block cars away. Grabber aye - brings back some memories. Ever hear of the saying - "If you can catch her, you can grab her." Never could :(:(. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ever hear of the saying - "If you can catch her, you can grab her."

Something like that; I heard of a girl in South Florida that had one of the hottest street cars of the time (late '70s). Front license plate read: "If you can beat me you can (rhymes with beat) me!" It's said that she never had to oblige!! :p

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Ever hear of the saying - "If you can catch her, you can grab her."

Something like that; I heard of a girl in South Florida that had one of the hottest street cars of the time (late '70s). Front license plate read: "If you can beat me you can (rhymes with beat) me!" It's said that she never had to oblige!! :p
:eek:Thank God for that

Attachments

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
:(and I heard she's still running that front plate:p

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
could well be a 2000 engine was installed later. Check if the correct axle (with lsd) was also installed, as well as different front uprights with bigger brakes!
If you get us the VIN number, people like me can look it up in our Fusi (Alfa Bible!)
Any luck on deciphering this VIN?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ed, that was a rumored plate at Jerry's Curb Service "back in th' day" too... and you may have a co-worker who owned the last GT ('66, 1600) I bought. Back in '86, IIRC.

The small round side marker lights were on my '69 1750 GTV, as were the split stainless bumpers... I got that car from Carl N. in '77 at SSaS... actually SPAA by then, Now: The Sewickley Car Store.

Any sign of Bill W.? He and Sharon went to CA and we lost track. Would expect him to be on this forum, tho.

mehheh.

PM me.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts