Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently purchased a very nice, imho, 1967 Duetto that was maintained and preserved by its previous owner in "as is" condition for some 28 years. It spent most of that time in storage. It has very little surface rust anywhere, has the original wiper bottle and air duct, seats, Carello headlamp covers with no bump.

The PO added a new diz and blue coil, and someone long ago installed adjustable upper control arms but otherwise, its stock. The Webers have not been touched, it appears, since maybe the Sixties.
Runs like a little jewel.

Its been re-painted, but seems more like a heavy overspray that didn't get rubbed out properly. (I've rubbed it out some). They didn't do the entire car. Looking close you can see very slight color change where the door jambs were taped off and new paint meets old. There's lots of surface checking and some spots where that is beginning to rust thru the cracks in the paint.

So now thinking whether to re-paint outside and door jambs and leave inside, engine compartment etc alone.
Will this increase value of car, or just increase likelihood of selling, (if I ever wanted to), compared to not doing it?

Haven't been shopping because I found out a friend does 90 point show cars, so wondering whether going off on very high quality paint job returns $1, $2, or fifty cents on value.

Planning on the re-paint either way just to protect it from more rust.
Wondering if this major work is a maintenance loss or an investment.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,564 Posts
I'm probably in the minority, but I love a little patina on an old street driven car. A couple cracks/crazes in the paint add a little character, just like cracks in leather seats.

Maybe just touch up the rusty bits?

But I guess if you are going to repaint it, do it right and repaint the jambs. Will it return 100% Hard to say, but will certainly help down the road.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
It's not original as it's already been painted once.
The say the paint job is poor, incomplete and there is overspray, bits not painted.
You have a friend who does 90point show cars (what does this mean, professional painter?)

Get the very best paint job you can afford, do it properly once. Pfaffing about now touching up bits is just creating more work and putting off the inevitable.

Personally, I wouldn't pay much for a classic that wasn't original or painted correctly, it shows corners have been cut and may likely to have other unattended issues. So it's value right now (in my opinion) is small and can only increase.

It will have rust.
That trunk has had a knock
.. and get rid of the ridiculous nudge bar on the front :)

Otherwise drive the snot out of it and enjoy.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I would take it in for estimates and check references. Paint jobs can be all over the place in price. In the long run, it's whatever floats your boat. Car looks like a great candidate for full restoration.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks everyone very much for responding.
I agree with every comment.
:)

Geoff the painter has his act together with portfolio of trophy show cars, several years in paint shops, and is well respected locally. Had no idea before hiring him to paint an X1/9 and found out what he'd done in the past...before just knew he painted cars and he modestly had never mentioned his credentials. The Bertone, still unfinished, looks pretty amazing in metallic blue, (to match interior).

Not ready or wanting to go for full restoration. Takes too long, rather drive it now and keep it unharmed. Everyone at annual Italian Car Show agreed it is excellent candidate for full restoration.

In the meantime, just don't want to mess it up.

So for now maybe best idea for me is get rid of very minor rust issues with spot repairs, (all on hood).

Does anyone know the color and paint code for this car?
Or where to find it?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bianco 95-C-026

Found the paint code decal on the underside of the truck lid: Bianco 95-C-026.

Searching Bing found a thread here that yielded the following info:

Color: Bianco, (White, also known "China White," "Bianco Pininfarina," "Artic White," "Farina White," and "Porcelain").
Alfa code: AR008 or AR241
Ditzler #:8331
Standox #: 24717
PPG #: 37000, (a 1980s number that corresponds somehow and poster confirms color match).

Thanks to those members contributing this info, available on this thread:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/car-restoration/3896-1972-alfa-romeo-color-chart-discussion-forum.html

Attachments

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
At least you have a chance of making your cost of a quality paint job return some or all of it's value, since you have a Duetto. On "common" Alfas like S3s a quality repaint is more of a labor of love than a dollarwise investment. Since most decent S3s are in the $6K range, paying $2k - $3K for a repaint is not a dollar wise investment.

I just finished having my 88 quad repainted, and it was done for ME, not some future potential buyer. With all the $$ I have invested in paint and restoration and repairs, this 88 is a loser dollar wise, considering it's possible sales value. To break even I would need to get $10 - $11K for it, far exceeding it's potential selling value.

Robert

·
Registered
238 Posts
A lot depends on what you ultimately want to do with this. If you want to restore it completely some day, I would just do some spot touch up for now and drive the stink out of it. When you do restore it you can have it painted while completely stripped and that will afford the best result. If you don't intend on restoring, but plan to keep it, then go for a repaint that fits your budget. But do the jams and the underside of the hood and trunk lid, IMHO.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, motion and second for drive the snot out of it.
Including locals authorities here, its unanimous.

No choice I guess but to follow best advice?
;)

For now, planning on hood, trunk, and few other minor paint fixes and probably the dents in front bumpers.
And delete the nudge bar, which friends here call a brush guard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts