Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here installed the Intrax coil over kit on there milano? I tried installing the kit today but had alot of trouble fitting it. It wont clear the upper control arm and even at its max height settings I can tell that the car will sit way too low. I might have to fabricate my own brackets to get it to the ride height I want...
Just wondering if any one on here has experience with this kit and could give me some advice on the install?

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Are these supposed to be used with out without the torsion bars?
Also, where does it foul on the UCA? Can it be solved with caster adjust?

Did you get it new or 2nd hand? Because intrax does do custom sets and so a 2nd hand set can work if your car is similair to the car it came off.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Upper control arm needs to be widened by cutting some material from the middle... its not a big deal it takes little stress... and height is always too low if u like factory settings

ideal heught that kit was made for is 13 cm off hte ground to the jacking point... you see too low... its a track kit

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Where do you get those and how much? Very curious.

And you can always add longer front springs if you need more ride height. How is the rear height?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes the kit is designed to eliminate the torsion bars. It is recommended to strengthen body first. I've welded around seems of body to add some strength. Today I made the opening in the UCA larger and fits perfect and can have the correct castor settings. I'm happy with the front height now but it is at its max setting.
In the rear there is 2 options when purchasing the kit, option 1 is separate coil and spring set up just like stock but with an adjustable spring perch. Option 2 is rear coil over setup. I got the coil over setup but it doesn't want to fit in the opening/ tunnel that the factory shock would mount in. I was just able to get it installed but only at its max height setting. If you try to install the coil over at a lower setting the spring and adjusters will not clear the body. I think I'm gonna make some longer fork brackets so the coil over will sit farther down from the narrow opening in the body and I will have clearance I need and also gain some height/adjustability.

I purchased the kit direct from Intrax

Attachments

·
Richard Jemison
7,379 Posts
Welding the body panels is insufficient strengthening for such "kits" The car is totally not designed to carry suspension loads on the body shell. It must be tied in to the cars roll cage .

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
In the rear there is 2 options when purchasing the kit, option 1 is separate coil and spring set up just like stock but with an adjustable spring perch. Option 2 is rear coil over setup. I got the coil over setup but it doesn't want to fit in the opening/ tunnel that the factory shock would mount in. I was just able to get it installed but only at its max height setting. If you try to install the coil over at a lower setting the spring and adjusters will not clear the body. I think I'm gonna make some longer fork brackets so the coil over will sit farther down from the narrow opening in the body and I will have clearance I need and also gain some height/adjustability.

I purchased the kit direct from Intrax
The rear coil over setup, attached to the OEM rear damper/shock absorber mounts, is no where near acceptable!
The damper mounts, especially on the Dedion, were never designed to carry the weight and impact of the rear suspension.
Look at how much difference there is between the original Dedion and the ES30 chassis Dedion.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welding the body panels is insufficient strengthening for such "kits" The car is totally not designed to carry suspension loads on the body shell. It must be tied in to the cars roll cage .
I agree but for now I'm gonna drive it like this and enjoy the car for the summer months. See how it goes and keep and eye on things and stick to smooth roads. When winter comes I'll have another project of removing engine and doing proper reinforcements.

Today I made new longer brackets to mount the rear coil overs so they sit farther down. Now I have the ride height I wanted and good clearance from coil overs to the surrounding body of the car. Can adjust ride height super fast and easy now.
I just drove the car for the first time with the new coil overs and wilwood brakes and I'm very happy with it. It grips really well and you can fly through corners, where I live there is a great hwy on ramp that snakes right left right and it's so much fun to tear through it! Just gotta be careful with over steer and how much gas pedal you apply. Car is a beast now with the supercharger...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The rear coil over setup, attached to the OEM rear damper/shock absorber mounts, is no where near acceptable!
The damper mounts, especially on the Dedion, were never designed to carry the weight and impact of the rear suspension.
Look at how much difference there is between the original Dedion and the ES30 chassis Dedion.
View attachment 1619830
Thanks for pointing that out. Maybe I should beef up the mounts on the dedion with some extra steel.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
The top shock mount will bust completely if you hit a bump. Even with torsion bars and the RS-Racing kit (street version of the Intrax), I have seen it bust through the front mount. You need to substantially strengthen that part.

I think the same goes for both the dedion mount and shock mount in the trunk. Both need re-inforcement.

So far the best kit I've driven with are the Beninca custom valved Konis and 30mm torsion bars and custom springs. Absolute best for the street and occasional track days.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts