Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Im impressed that the other three are so tight! Great job on that -- even on a high perf motor getting <3 % leakdown is darn good! How much time did you spend lapping the valves?
My gauge set is only so accurate so take 0% with a grain of salt. Also recall this was a hot test. Bottom line is they were consistent and looked "very low leakage". I did not do the valve job, I took the head to Precision Auto in Simsbury CT. It was not a fancy valve job.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Rus, just drive the thing, thats what you need to do. Revisit in a year if you want but start putting some miles on her.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Pete the miles are coming either way. It's practically been my daily in all but rainy weather. Plan on continuing that til the salt.

·
Push hard and live
9,869 Posts
Generally, there is no such thing as magic in a bottle.

Running too rich to the point you’re washing the oil off the cylinder walls can lead to cylinder, piston, and ring damage. I had a leaking float wipe out a pair of cylinders in my 2300.

Electronic borescopes are pretty cheap these days. If you’ve lost a circlip, you might be able to intervene before there’s much damage. I’m NOT saying your symptoms are a certain sign of a displaced circlip. Just that checking with a borescope might spare you some serious heartache.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Rus, thanks for the link to your thread. We all like (good) things which remain a constant in a world of change and seeing Andrew and Mr. Peterson commenting reminds me that I/we have been talking here for .... twenty years? Fifteen at a minimum.

I see a borescope in your future.

BTW .... Rotella never went black in my old GTV. I use 15W/50 M-1 from Walmart in my air-cooled six but Rotella would likely be fine there, too.
John

21 - 26 of 26 Posts