Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1986 Spider Grad. I have replaced some parts due to recoving this vehicle from storage for 5 years. This is what I have replaced new in tank fuel pump and float, in-line Bosch fuel pump and fuel filter, new plugs, wires, cap and rotor and new cold start injector. Not related but carrier support bearing and u joints.
The car ran great for 250 miles then it had the old starts but runs for a couple of seconds then dies. I ran through the Bosch L-Jetronics troubleshooting that is linked (very Helpful) so I began testing found that the hot wire running to fuel pump would shut off after car started so I tested for leaks in the air intake tube and all connecting hoses all ok. Did the old pull the oil cap and car idled rough put cap back on and smoothed out. Sprayed WD40 on air intake and checked hoses for leaks no problems. The tachimeter for the air intake is working as well. I also checked ohms for flywheel sensor and those checked out as well. I ended up running a seperate hot wire from the relay (small one) next to the ECM so when ignition was on I would get power to the fuel pump. The car ran good ones again now I am having this intermittent issue when the engine is at normal operating temp the car has a extremely bad miss. It chugs and cuts out. feels like bad fuel or something cuts off the fuel. I am now testing fuel line pressure and am getting a reading between 30 and 42 psi. I can only get the car to act up while driving when its setting idle and rev engine I cannot make it act up. Usually the problem happens in second and also in third gear running up to 3,000 rpm.
I tried listening for a hissing sound from cat conv but does not seem to be a plugged convertor. any ideas? desperately seeking help. Thanks for any and all comments.

·
Administrator
17,627 Posts
I have a 1986 Spider Grad.
And where are the photos? We likes photos...

found that the hot wire running to fuel pump would shut off after car started

feels like bad fuel or something cuts off the fuel. I am now testing fuel line pressure and am getting a reading between 30 and 42 psi
IIRC, 30 psi fuel pressure is low*. Either the pump is failing, the filter is clogging, the regulator isn't regulating or the pump's electrical supply is erratic. * but confirm that - I'm going by my failing memory...

The drive relay (the bigger one next to the computer under the shelf behind the seats) gets a tachymetric signal from the coil to know the engine is running. If that signal is lacking the power to the fuel pump is cut off. Check the connections at the coil and at the drive relay. A couple of recent Alfa owners have discovered a terminal in the relay connector was loose.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
You should also send out the injectors for ultrasonic/solvent cleaning.
They will replace the inlet screen, pintle cap, give you new upper and lower seals. Do a flow ans spray pattern test, for a pittance.
Cruzin Performance in Michigan is one....

Elio

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks I checked the fuel pressure regualtor. and it performed as you described. I am going to get into the relay but the car ran great over the weekend and would not act up drove about 15 miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts