Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i live in florida and every morning my windshield fogs up when i have the a/c on. i tried putting the defrost on but it doesnt help. i just realized my heat doesnt work. i take that back, sometimes it works. it's a 95 LS. all my vents switch and i can control my fan speeed but the temperature only gets as hot as outside temp. a couple times i've gotten real heat. any thoughts?

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
Sounds to me like a heater core leak. Can you smell anti freeze? The windshield should clear quickly with the A/C on.

·
1991 164L
27,780 Posts
Sounds more like something not working correctly with temp door system or coolant flow through heater core.

1. Verify whether you have a manual shut off valve installed in heater core hose coming off rear head and it is closed.

2, Verify that when you raise temp setting on a/c panel that temp door lever is moving towards ****pit.

To do No. 2 verification open hood, remove flimsy plastic cover over A/C components behind false firewall. Using a flashlight locate temp door lever and wire cable below right side wiper arm pivot point. It sticks out of blower motor housing at juncture of heater core compartment.

Lever is full forward for cooling and moves rearward for heat.

Report your findings. Lever maybe broken, cable disconnected or temp stepper motor not working.

Since you have a 95 with passenger air bag not sure whether you can get to stepper motor electrical connector through glove box like we can on 87-93 (maybe 94) models.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steve, i still have not had a chance to do these checks yet, but just driving, i was able to verify the following:

when i use DEF, the temperature changes
when i set the temp to HI, i get heat

if i set it to any other temp it stays cold. i live in florida so the heat isnt that important except for 1 week in the winter and when i'm defogging, which works.

in any case, i imagine the temp door is moving because when i put it on HI, it gets hot, really hot!!

is there any diagnostics for the climate control?

·
1991 164L
27,780 Posts
is there any diagnostics for the climate control?
Yes, see pg. 53 in 1994 wiring manual fpr procedure and fault codes on pg. 54.

The car disc 164 DVD has this manual on it if you don't have paper manuals.

CarDisc International Ltd. - Alfa Romeo Manuals, Giulietta Manuals, Giulia Manuals, GTV Manuals, Spider Manuals, American Austin & American Bantam

Also see section 80 here for archived data notes0 Fred talks about testing 91-93 models but you need 94-95 procedure.

Much more info about the 164 offered by whole FAQ 164 digest Alfa Romeo 164

1 - 5 of 5 Posts