Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91B that I have brought back to life with the help of everyone here. Thanks. My latest problem which has just started in the last few days is from a sitting start car starts to cut out several times. This is not a plug cutting out it seems to be the entire engine. After I get above 2k rpms car runs fine and never cuts out. Most of the time when I take off and it starts to cut out I can let off gas and it stops then accelerates smoothly. Any one else had this problem? 99% of the time it runs fine at all speeds. I think it is probably a dirty connector but there are a lot of them to look at, if any one can give me a good place to start I would appreciate it. Thanks

·
Premium Member
26,814 Posts
May not be problem but I suspect you have a crack in big black air inlet corragated tube between Air Flow Meter (AFM) and throttle body. This gives you false air leak when crack opens up when engine moves enough as under acceleration.

Check entire tube closely especially in corragations and at edge of stainless steel clamps for a hair line crack.

Quick check with engine idling is to wiggle around AFM and air cleaner in up and down motion to see if idle changes or engine dies.

Check black hoses that plug into it too.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I have a 91B that I have brought back to life with the help of everyone here. Thanks. My latest problem which has just started in the last few days is from a sitting start car starts to cut out several times. This is not a plug cutting out it seems to be the entire engine. After I get above 2k rpms car runs fine and never cuts out. Most of the time when I take off and it starts to cut out I can let off gas and it stops then accelerates smoothly. Any one else had this problem? 99% of the time it runs fine at all speeds. I think it is probably a dirty connector but there are a lot of them to look at, if any one can give me a good place to start I would appreciate it. Thanks
I actually had an identical problem with my '92 164. I had to get a friend to tow me one day, as it just couldn't pull away from rest.

I removed the rubber cap from the ignition coil and the lead fell out. I slid the rubber cap back a little, pushed the lead (after tweaking the end with a screwdriver) into the coil firmly, and then put the cap on. I never had a problem after that! :eek: I did check the cap/rotor as well to be certain.

-Alex

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replys. I checked air tube for leaks and found that the hose clamp was loose on the afm. I tightned that and put some silicone on a couple of places that I looked dry rotted. I cleaned all the connections I could find and took it for a 1 hour drive with no troubles, so something seemed to help. Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Thank you for the replys. I checked air tube for leaks and found that the hose clamp was loose on the afm. I tightned that and put some silicone on a couple of places that I looked dry rotted. I cleaned all the connections I could find and took it for a 1 hour drive with no troubles, so something seemed to help. Thanks again for your help.
Thanks for posting the update! Sounds like it was an air leak rather than ignition problems.

Alfisto Steve was right again - no great surprise when you consider that he has 5000+ posts and I have about 50 ;)

-Alex

1 - 5 of 5 Posts