Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am new to the forum and Alfa ownership - bought a '91 164s a few months ago and am trying to sort of some of it's quirks. This past weekend I noticed that 1) the gas cap button was not working most of the time when I tried it, but occasionally did work. Also noticed that the heater blower was not working but at a stop light i turned off the ignition and then restarted and then it immediately started to work. I'm guessing these issues are related and are likely an electrical issue (relay?). If anyone can point me to where to look to sort this out I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
The fuel filler flap on mine just started sticking recently. If you hear a click in the back of the car when you press the dash button then the electrics are working. If no click is heard then maybe the switch of a relay isn't working.

Mine is sticking because the plastic catch needs a bit of lubricating. Pressing the release button several times in a row released the flap. Also, there should be a red cord in the trunk, right side, hanging out of a slot cut into the trunk liner. That's the manual emergency release. If not visible it's probably stuck behind the trunk liner. If someone took the liner out and replaced it they may have forgotten to put this cord through the slot before replacing the liner, very common oversight.

The solenoid release is pretty reliable but it is possible for a roll pin to drop out of the connector between the solenoid and the catch. Of that happens then the flap won't open at all. That won't be your issue.

Fan speed controller failures are fairly common. It's a resistor pack in the false bulkhead area under the plastic cover under the hood st the base of the windshield. The fan controller unit is a black solid state resistor pack. There's also a 40 amp fuse that feeds it and can cause intermittent failure symptoms.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts