Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I put this in the Technical Forum but perhaps this is the correct place.

Having read the many posts on the topic, I am just about to replace my Intermediate Shaft Bearing and its rubber support bracket on my 69 GTV. The shaft is now out of the car and I have access to a shop press when needed for the bearing removal and fitting. However, removing the front yoke on the front shaft seems problematic. There are I assume two Woodruff keys in there? What are the tricks for removing this yoke? A puller, a little heat, etc? If a press is needed is a 12 tonne enough?

However,

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heat and a press yes, Two keys. These can be heck to get apart. Any thoughts on press capacity (12 ton vs 20)?
Andrew
Fun job. Thanks Andrew. I hope fitting the new bearing is a bit easier!

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually it came off without too much trouble. Soaked in some Gibbs Brand oil overnight, heated the yoke and with a bearing puller the yoke came off. The hardest part was removing the ring clip over the bearing as it was the old type without holes for the special clamp. Put the new bearing in the freezer for a few hours and it slotted in to the rubber mount with a drift.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,621 Posts
The gear puller and heat works for me as well. The report when it lets go is worth the price of admission especially when you don't know when it's going to happen:) Are you replacing the guibo too? I'm assuming you marked everything so it goes back in the way it came out.

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. Yes every end of every piece was carefully marked before removal and checked. I learned that the first time I did this job 25 years ago (long time between GTV's ;)).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts