Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on the interior of my 1986 Quad and have followed a few threads on interior restorations thus far. I have a replacement parcel shelf and my question is this.....

With my new carpet kit from World Upholstery, I am unable to pull off the rigid molded pieces for the rear corners and back carpeted are above the parcel shelf. They are old and crumbling plus the PO glued carpet over the existing carpet making it that much more fragile on the molded base.

I am sure APE would have some pieces I could use, was wondering if anyone has used other materials (wood, chicken were, etc.) to for the backing to attach the carpet then install?

Thanks, JP

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just replaced all the carpeting in my 90 Spider & faced the same problem. Made worse by the molded carpeting used in the 90. I used Luan (sp?). It's a very thin plywood-like wood sheet that is perfecting smooth with no knot holes. It's usually used on irregular floors before installing tile or vinyl. Available at hardware & wood supply shops. I then used sheet metal screws to attach it to the framework.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The 86 quad may be a bit different, but i was able to rebuild my sun-faded and warped shelf pretty easily with new boarding, new rivets, re-dyed and patched carpet, bondo'd plastic runners.

If you need new plastic pieces in the corners near the belts I'm sure APE can help you out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to the both of you for feedback! I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Parcel shelf

1. If go with the Luan, be sure to coat it with polyurethane - both sides. This will help to discourage any moisture, which can destroy the plywood over time. As an added preventive (the word anal comes readily to mind), I also put a layer of visqueen plastic over the top of the shelf prior to putting down carpet padding and then the carpeting.

2. In the shelf that I just finished, I used a sheet of aluminum that I purchased from a sign shop that had some aluminum scraps, one of which was a bit larger than I needed. It cut easily. I even made the supports out of these aluminum scraps and bent them easily with a 2x4 and a ball pein hammer. I pop riveted them in place. I did not use carpet padding with this shelf, but put the carpeting directly on the aluminum with adhesive. I needed a stronger shelf than normal, as I have a 110 lb. collie that likes to ride in the rear shelf. The aluminum worked very well and provided adequate support. As the carpet ages, it will be quite easy to pull it up and reglue more down.

Hope these thoughts help.
Good luck, Dean

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dean, It sure does...Thank you very much!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts