Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It finally busted/ripped,tore. The problem is, this is a 1988 Spider with the passive seat belts and (after running up phone bills to parts places around the country) I finally found out the panel is not - and will never - be available. And panels from before-and-after 1988 cannot be altered to fit.

Anyone have any suggestions? Fiberglass? Sheetmetal? Bubblegum?:mad:

·
Registered
150 Posts
made one myself

I did it with some thin gauge plexiglass and a pretty rough template that I cut myself, then I peeled the vinyl off the inside back edges and glued the new backing onto the little plastic that was left on my old one. Rough cut the inner edges and dremel away the switches to fit or a bench grinder for most of it. Took an evening, not concours quality but it's more than functional and doesn't look all that bad. I thought I have seen someone indicating one one of the treads that they were avaialable. Don't they call it a B pillar, maybe it's a C can't remember.

·
Registered
487 Posts
It's a B pillar, but I think his problem is that, apparently, the B pillar for an '88 is different than all others available.

·
Registered
150 Posts
mine is an '88

Mine is an 88, basically it was a weird shaped trangle with an bit of a lip that has the cutouts for the two switches for fuel and trunk. Not sure if it is different from other years.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all

Yes, it is different from all others. Spider-Point looks like a great resource and, though I didn't see the correct part in their catalog, I've emailed them just in case. But I really think I'll have to fashion one myself.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
They are easy to repair if you want to take the time. Several companies make an epoxy puddy stick that when pressed together makes a playdough like substance. The epoxy tube forms up rock hard and sandable and can be used to fill in the holes, create missing parts, and reinforce the entire piece. Comes in a plastic roll that looks like an oversize pack of lifesavers. Magnum steel is one brand and sets up grey. The Marine epoxy is the same stuff just in white.

First, remove the material and latches from the piece. Then sand the back side of the piece where you will be using the epoxy stick with a coarse grit paper to get better bonding. Pinch off a gum ball size amount of the epoxy stick and mash it up until uniform. And start repairing. You can shape it until it hardens (about 4-5 minutes). Then sand the epoxy down to complete forming the outer contour of the piece. I like using a dremel to do this. And finally with upholstry glue (3M makes it and can be found at an autoparts store), glue the leather/vinyl back on. Cost is about $10-15 in materials.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks one and all!

I'm just finishing with a fibreglass fix. This side that holds the levers was too thrashed to repair, so I bought a part from DiFatti Bros that fits earlier spiders, cut it and the original panal up and bonded them with fiberglass. I can tell already it's much stronger than before.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts