Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interior Panel Restoration: Alfetta GT

Any advice, to-do or not to-do?

Restoring interior kick panels, all the rear trunck panels, maybe my door panels, they are not so bad.

Thoughts? I was just going to head to an upholstery shop?

Thanks,

ncng

·
Administrator
17,369 Posts
Are the panels essentially flat? If so they should be easy to reproduce. If the vinyl covering is in good shape you can strip that off and apply to a new backing panel and they'll be good as new (or better if you use some water resistant panel or at least seal them before covering them with the vinyl.

Here's a couple of threads with info about making new door panels for Spiders:

Interior Restoration Pictures

Spider Door Panels

Now if the panels are 'molded' then you might need to get a little more creative.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Eric,

No all the panels I need nelp with our flat in masonite type board.

Should be easy, I missed these threads.

ncng

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Alfetta GT kick and rear trunk panels

For the front kick panels and the 2 rear side panels I cut fiber board to fit and covered with thin foam and black vinyl. Spray glue the foam to the board and a little to the foam to stick the vinyl in place. Tack the vinyl to the back of the boards.
Kick panels are held in with velcro. Rear held with a bolt in the top center. Bolt is from the back thru a metal cross piece. Panel slides over bolt and a nut secures the panel.
Door cards. I'm not sure, probably need an upholstery shop unless you have skills. On early GTs the original card shrinks, and the arm rests are molded in. So new cards need to be made, with new arm rests. Water proof is important for the door cards. Not so important the the others.
Look at 78-79 Gt and Sport Sedans for inspiration. They have screw on arm rests and a flat panel, not the contour that the 76-77 GT have.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For the front kick panels and the 2 rear side panels I cut fiber board to fit and covered with thin foam and black vinyl. Spray glue the foam to the board and a little to the foam to stick the vinyl in place. Tack the vinyl to the back of the boards.
Kick panels are held in with velcro. Rear held with a bolt in the top center. Bolt is from the back thru a metal cross piece. Panel slides over bolt and a nut secures the panel.
Door cards. I'm not sure, probably need an upholstery shop unless you have skills. On early GTs the original card shrinks, and the arm rests are molded in. So new cards need to be made, with new arm rests. Water proof is important for the door cards. Not so important the the others.
Look at 78-79 Gt and Sport Sedans for inspiration. They have screw on arm rests and a flat panel, not the contour that the 76-77 GT have.
You are sure the front kick panels are just velcroed on? My one on passenger side is worse, I have yet to remove the little shelf under glove box to remove the panel yet, thought I would work on this weekend, I may just yank drivers side off?

Thanks,

ncng

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Kick Panel

My kick panels were pretty trashed. So I fabricated new ones to fit around the hood release and around the passenger junk tray. I also made my own junk tray of plywood, metal trim and painted with flat black paint. Had to make a new tray as the old one would not fit around my A/C hoses.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
. . . maybe my door panels, . . . .
These are not flat but have are contoured near the top of the door and especially at the door lock pull. Finding a suitable replacement substrate that can reproduce this contour (what and how eg. plastic by heating with a hot air gun) has been an issue.
I'm all ears for ideas.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Oh, the door locks.

Door lock, forgot about that.
That would require some fabrication of something that would look nice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts