Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This heat is having its issues with me and now my beloved Bianca has a mirror that won't stay in its place. In fact it just flops around. How does one tighten the mirror? If I need to drop the overhead console, how do I do that with out damaging it?

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
I'll try to get you a picture of the 12V interior mechanism for the rearview mirror. The 12V mirror is held on by two spring-loaded balls, and simply pulls down at the front neck to detach from the overhead. I suspect the 24V is the same layout. Do you have a 12V car to compare against? I'm not certain there is a way to tighten up the mirror. It is a ball and socket mechanism, and the socket has loosened up. Maybe there is a way to tighten it. I swapped mirrors around from a broken car here to my wife's '92S to give her a mirror that stays where she wants it.

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Tighten the Mirror?

IIRC, the socket is plastic and cannot be made tighter once it wears too far.

I bought another one off Ebay.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Mirror attachment pics

These are of the mirror attachment point in the 12V interior. I suspect the 24V is the same, but do not know this. The base plate is pressed up against the receiver in the ceiling, and the balls push the spring inward so they can pop into their mating sockets and retain the mirror. There was a rubber bumper on one of our cars but not on the other. It fit into the slot on the backside of the mirror support arch and seems to be a spacer to keep the mirror from being pushed into the windscreen. Its back side is flat and fits against the windscreen.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I think there is a plastic/nylon socket for the mirror, it the mirror is too loose then the plastic could have been cracked. Yes, the mirror is likely held in place with springs and balls. But be warned that it is likely very tight. You need to pull pretty hard to get the mirror off. Putting it back up is also sometime a challenge since you would afraid off breaking something.

·
Premium Member
9,745 Posts
This heat is having its issues with me and now my beloved Bianca has a mirror that won't stay in its place. In fact it just flops around. How does one tighten the mirror? If I need to drop the overhead console, how do I do that with out damaging it?
Fold up some small pieces of paper and wedge it in between the ring and the mirror. I did that on my old 164 mirror and it works for years without any issues. I then upgraded to the self dimming.
Grab the base of the mirror and pull it out. It stays in with spring loaded pins on each side. 12V and 24V are all the same. (mounting that is)

Jason

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will delve in to this issue in the next couple of days. I will most likely open the mirror up to see how the mounting inside works. If it is like the other mirrors in the 4 cyl. cars, it is a steel band riveted to the plastic and holds for tension against the ball that is inside the mirror. Photos as they develop.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It's the plastic ring that goes around the ball. They crack. I drilled three holes and installed three screws to fix the ring into position. I did that at least 5 years ago and it has been working like new ever since. It's very easy, the screws are invisible unless you look for them from outside the car, will cost $1, and will last a long time. I'll post photos.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Now _that_ I'd like to see. A fix that works for the floppy mirror syndrome. It would keep me from having to dispose of some miscellaneous hardware.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Here's the photo. I did this about 5 years ago. It took me a while to figure it out, but after that it was pretty easy. I recall that I did drill 3 holes but was only able to insert two bolts or attach 2 nuts. The 3rd hole is at 1:30 or 2:00. There are nuts on the inside. Sorry, but I don't want to open it back up to figure out exactly what I did. There was some interference that prevented me from installing the 3rd nut. However, it works fine (has been working fine for 5 years) with the two bolts. You can see the split in the ring.

Just unscrew the ring and open the mirror. I'm sure you'll discover how I did it. I'd love to know since I can't remember the exact details. I do recall how pleased I was with myself after fixing it. :) I always tell my wife that I can fix anything that can be fixed. I remember showing her how I fixed this mirror and asking her if she appreciated how lucky she was! :)

I think there is a metal plate or ring in there that I drilled through and put the nuts behind.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
If I understand the picture well enough, you used the screws to pull the female socket toward your ring. There must be a bevel on the inside of your ring, so that the socket is forced radially inward toward the ball, holding it more firmly. Is this how your item worked? It looks like a great fix. What is the material you used for the ring? It seems that you would have to take the ball and socket joint apart to place your ring, and it would seem that you would have to get the mirror housing disassembled to do that. I wasn't sure how the mirror housing came apart -- mine looked like it might be glued at the edges.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My wife would like to give you a big hug for the suggestion on how to fix the mirror. Here she was thinking I was going to have to shell out some money for a new mirror. Now that I have saved her some money she is really happy. That is a fix that I can do. The way you describe it, is to pull the reciever socket that the ball rides in with the screws so that the locking ring holds tension on the assembly. Thank you so very much! :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
If I understand the picture well enough, you used the screws to pull the female socket toward your ring. There must be a bevel on the inside of your ring, so that the socket is forced radially inward toward the ball, holding it more firmly. Is this how your item worked?
Yes, that's how it worked.

What is the material you used for the ring? It seems that you would have to take the ball and socket joint apart to place your ring, and it would seem that you would have to get the mirror housing disassembled to do that. I wasn't sure how the mirror housing came apart -- mine looked like it might be glued at the edges.

That's the original ring, split and all. The screws snug it down as you describe. When the rig splits, it slips off the threads. The bolts hold it down as the threads originally did. Now that I think about it, I don't think I opened the mirror. I think I was able to slide the nuts in. I probably used silicone calk to hold them in place while I tightened them. I wish I documented it better.

The way you describe it, is to pull the reciever socket that the ball rides in with the screws so that the locking ring holds tension on the assembly. Thank you so very much! :D
Yes, that's it. I'm glad I could help. When you're finished, be sure to fill in the blanks on how exactly we did this so we don't have to figure it out all over again for the next guy.

I just thought of something else: the ball is held by three "fingers". The fingers comprise the socket. If you look at my photo, the holes I drilled align with the spaces between the fingers. I think that confirms that I never opened the mirror. I think I just slipped the nuts into the finger spaces and schmoched them into place.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts