Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled the rubber mats from my '76 spider to find the insulation has deteriorated into some sort of sticky mess. I couldn't say if the PO did something, but it's nasty now and needs to be replaced. I anticipate a long job scraping and grinding away the current garbage. The mats themselves are complete, but with tears in them.

Two questions:
1 Rubber mats being prohibitively expensive if even available, is there a way to glue the rubber to keep the mats together, without looking too God-awful?
2 Can you recommend a insulating material to replace what I have now?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
Is the "sticky mess" stinky too like gear oil? I think you know where I am going.........Mats torn? about the only solution i have done with older cars is to pick up some thin rubber and glue it over the tears on the backside .

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nah, it seriously looks like degrading petroleum product, but it's high up on the firewall, so I doubt that it is oil residue. It just looks more like half-melted mat. What THAT speaks to, I shudder to think.

I have, however, decided this will be easier to do with the seats removed, so I'll deal with that first, then decide how to remove the insulation. I will start with a sturdy flat head screwdriver.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Some pix of this gross mess. I think the engine must have gotten quite hot at some point in the past. However, our local Alfa Guru,
Mike Besic, assures me the engine is in good nick.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, brakes are one area he hasn't had to work on. it might indeed be brake fluid's work dissolving the mats, but it looks ancient.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would welcome a tip as to the location of those, sir!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
To remove the tar sound deadening use a heat gun and scraper, and clean up residue with mineral spirits. While you can buy replacement sound deadening, I suggest replacing it with a more modern and effective product. There is dynamat of course, and also lots of different dense foam products these days which are much lighter than dynamat.

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
Well, brakes are one area he hasn't had to work on. it might indeed be brake fluid's work dissolving the mats, but it looks ancient.
It was a stab in the dark on my part but there aren't many fluids that will melt the poly film on the insulation other than possibly brake fluid especially that high up the firewall...The fiberglass would wick it but be unharmed for the most part....Brake fluid has no odor to speak of, either. Perhaps a leaking booster did it over a long period of time in the past as the source but I don't know if that is even remotely possible?

·
Premium Member
13,725 Posts
I would welcome a tip as to the location of those, sir!
The last time I checked, Classic Alfa had them a bit cheaper than the manufacturer.

The stuff that is still on the firewall is jute-back insulation. Don't put the heat gun on that. If you want to remove it, just use your hands and a scrapper.

·
Super Moderator
12,071 Posts
The last time I checked, Classic Alfa had them a bit cheaper than the manufacturer.
The manufacturer is Cicognani: http://www.cicognaniguarnizioni.it/...00-a70/tappeto-n.1-anteriore-sx-10070001_1492 As Ossodiseppia says, you can also order rubber mats from Classic Alfa. I have found that Classic Alfa tends to sell them as sets, while Cicognani will let you order just the individual mats that you need. So if you don't need the sets as CA sells them, Cicognani might be cheaper.

You can try the "glue bandages made from inner tube material to the back of the tear using contact cement" approach to fixing splits, but I doubt it will hold up.

Reactions: weiliwen

·
Registered
1981 Spider - Daisy, 1976 Spider - Tex
57 Posts
I chipped and scrapped all the old sound deadening material, even up front and over the transmission tunnel. Fixed any little rust spots and painted rust-oleum. Not too terrible in duration or mess.
installed the brand Kilmat and roller tools. Easy peasy.
oddly rubber sets are more expensive than carpet. Pieces do end up on eBay occasionally.

·
Super Moderator
12,071 Posts
oddly rubber sets are more expensive than carpet. Pieces do end up on eBay occasionally.
Any mats you find on ebay - assuming they're used - are likely to be cracked, or will crack soon. While carpets may be cheaper, mats are what's correct for your car.

Once when I was on a budget, I bought some generic black, ribbed mat material and cut my own mats. Yes, they lacked the serpent and cross logo, but looked OK from 10 feet.

Home Depot carries some mat material that looks about right (at least from the photo on their website). See: Rubber-Cal Corrugated Fine Rib 3 ft. x 4 ft. Black Rubber Flooring (12 sq. ft.)-03_167_W_FR_04 - The Home Depot

·
Registered
11 Posts
I pulled the rubber mats from my '76 spider to find the insulation has deteriorated into some sort of sticky mess. I couldn't say if the PO did something, but it's nasty now and needs to be replaced. I anticipate a long job scraping and grinding away the current garbage. The mats themselves are complete, but with tears in them.

Two questions:
1 Rubber mats being prohibitively expensive if even available, is there a way to glue the rubber to keep the mats together, without looking too God-awful?
2 Can you recommend a insulating material to replace what I have now?

Thanks!
To answer question #2: Dynamat is my preference for floor sound deadening /insulation. Summit Racing sells their equivalent. I have had very good luck with this products adhering and durability. I also needed replacement rubber mats and found the Front mat set from Classic Alfa to be good quality, cheap and cheerful

·
Registered
591 Posts
I chipped and scrapped all the old sound deadening material, even up front and over the transmission tunnel. Fixed any little rust spots and painted rust-oleum. Not too terrible in duration or mess.
installed the brand Kilmat and roller tools. Easy peasy.
oddly rubber sets are more expensive than carpet. Pieces do end up on eBay occasionally. View attachment 1694881
I getting ready to order insulation for the floors and interior firewall, and I like the prices I see for Kilmat. Did you use the 50 mil or 80 mil? Have you make any comparison to Dynamat or other insulation?

Best regards,

·
Registered
1981 Spider - Daisy, 1976 Spider - Tex
57 Posts
I getting ready to order insulation for the floors and interior firewall, and I like the prices I see for Kilmat. Did you use the 50 mil or 80 mil? Have you make any comparison to Dynamat or other insulation?

Best regards,
Hi,
I bought
KILMAT 80 mil 36 sqft Car Sound Deadening Mat, Butyl Automotive Sound Deadener, Audio Noise Insulation and dampening
And
Design Engineering 050113 Under Carpet Lite Sound Absorption and Insulation, 70" x 72" (35 sq. ft.)

Both from Amazon
I did read about both Kilmat and Dynamat and felt comfortable with Kilmat.
I also bought sound absorbing material. Makes for squishy soft floors.
I hope this helps

1 - 20 of 27 Posts