Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I own a 1968 LHD GT Junior, but in it's past it's had a fairly bad restoration, I was hoping I could get some advice. I believe that it’s a mk. 2 step nose as I have the 1750 style dash.

According to the chassis number and the 'Centro Documentazione Alfa Romeo' the car should be dutch blue (AR343) with a 'wild boar leather skai interior'. I bought the car in rosso amaranto (AR509) and with a mixed black interior.

Now the exterior of the car isn’t too bad, maybe needing some touching up in places, but the interior is really where I’d like to focus my efforts as it really lets the car down.

Eventually I want the car to be correct to when it was built (as the archive description), but I’m going to start with changing the interior colour and making that look the way it should.

The front seats have a basket weave pattern whilst the rear has vertical panels which I believe are the correct style, but obviously the wrong colour. The rear seat back panel is also badly sun damaged and split along the top.

The carpets are quite poorly fitted and have lifted in several areas, there are no floor mats at all.

The headliner is a light colour in the correct snake bite material, but is quite badly stained, possibly from a previous owner who smoked.

I was wondering if anyone knew what the standard interior would’ve been for a ’68 mk.2 GT Junior?

• For example with the wild boar interior would it have had black carpets (Classic Alfa are saying it shouldn’t have any carpets), black rubber mats, black parcel shelf and a light coloured headliner?
  • I’m also interested to see what the transmission tunnel and gear lever gaiter should look like.
  • The handles on my door cards aren’t correct at all and I can see classic alfa/alfaholics sell after market bottom halves, but what should the tops look like and should there be a chrome strip between the bottom and the top? Presumably the top would be a padded panel and trimmed in the same wild boar material?
Really sorry if this has been asked and answered before, I’m just struggling to find a definitive answer, any help would be gratefully received. Here are some pics:

Thanks,

Tom.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I have a friend with a ‘67 and another with a ‘68, both juniors both original with flat early wood grain dashes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I don't know how much truth is in this Wikipedia page (link at bottom) but it says...

"In 1968, concurrently with the replacement of the Giulia Sprint GT Veloce by the 1750 GTV, the GT 1300 Junior was revised with many of the new parts from the 1750 GTV. This included the dashboard, the suspension and the new wheel size of 5½ × 14J instead of 4½ × 15J. This revised GT 1300 Junior, however, retained the early "step-front" body style, which makes it the most mechanically refined production "step-front" model. Another intriguing detail is that, just as on the 1750 GTV, the remote release for the boot (trunk) lid, located on the inside of the door opening on the B-post just under the door lock striker, was moved from the right hand side of the car to the left hand side. The location of this item was always independent of whether the car was left hand drive or right hand drive. This series of GT 1300 Junior was the only model with the step-front bodyshell to have this item mounted on the left hand side. All other step-front models - Giulia Sprint GT, Giulia Sprint GT Veloce, and early GT 1300 Junior with flat dashboard - featured this item on the right hand side.

In 1968 the RHD GT 1300 Juniors still retained their flat top dash."

A lot of that seems applicable to mine, '68 car, 1750 dash, boot release lever on left hand side, etc.

I hope it's right anyway haha

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What can you get from the VIN?

·
Registered
3,706 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Missed that. Well, if the build date is late '68 maybe its original to the car. Not sure what my friends '68 build date is but it is originally a flat dash car.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I post #1 he says he has info from Doc centre. Maybe/likely the build date is there.

k
That's right @kengta, this was part of the response I had...

"According to our documentation files, the chassis number AR####### originally corresponds to an Alfa Romeo GT 1300 Junior (105.30), manufactured on the 25th May 1968 and sold on the 3rd June 1968 in Turin, Italy.

The body colour is Dutch blue, with wild boar leather skai interiors."

That's how I know the year, exterior and interior colours.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Is this correct with respect to the the later Giulia Sprint GT, Giulia Sprint GT Veloce . from wikipedia as in post #3 .

"This series of GT 1300 Junior was the only model with the step-front bodyshell to have this item mounted on the left hand side. All other step-front models - Giulia Sprint GT, Giulia Sprint GT Veloce, and early GT 1300 Junior with flat dashboard - featured this item on the right hand side. "

ken

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Well, Jrs should gave floor mats. PO most likely put carpets because the mats are expensive or maybe at the time not available yet. The trunk or boot release lever is on the right side of my left hand drive car, ‘66 Gtv.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, Jrs should gave floor mats. PO most likely put carpets because the mats are expensive or maybe at the time not available yet. The trunk or boot release lever is on the right side of my left hand drive car, ‘66 Gtv.
Thanks @classicalfas, Yeh that's what classic alfa said, rubber mats with another set that goes over the gearbox/drive shaft tunnel. How does it look on the inside of the sill underneath the inside of the door?

So what you've said is correct to the Wikipedia entry, my release lever is on the left hand side which backs up the 1750 dash (I believe).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So apparently I’m meant to have no carpets but these rubber mays:-

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Just spoke to my friend, his '68 was built January. The theory is when the older parts were consumed the new ones took its place. He has a flat dash with the boot release on the left side, LHD car.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Just spoke to my friend, his '68 was built January. The theory is when the older parts were consumed the new ones took its place. He has a flat dash with the boot release on the left side, LHD car.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
The door card looks 70's 2000GTV.

Seats correct for the year ....

Dashboard ... like other posters I would have thought that May 68 would still have the early dash .... though later stepnose cars definitely had your type of dash.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeh, door cards are very wrong, but I think they have the right fittings with the exception of the arm rests. I’m still a bit unsure as to what they should look like in terms of the top half.

re. the dash, I feel with it being a cross over year I can forgive it, if a flat LHD dash crosses my path then maybe I’ll get it and put it in the spares pile haha.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for getting in touch with your friend and I definitely like that explanation :)

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
My question is did the 1600 GTV and 1600 sprint GT ever get a left hand trunk release leaver?

ken

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Yeh, door cards are very wrong, but I think they have the right fittings with the exception of the arm rests. I’m still a bit unsure as to what they should look like in terms of the top half.

re. the dash, I feel with it being a cross over year I can forgive it, if a flat LHD dash crosses my path then maybe I’ll get it and put it in the spares pile haha.

Late step noses 1300 GTj did get that "1750 type" dash although I believe it is not a 1750 dash as the GTj was moulded differently along the lower edge. Where is your choke and accel lever and look in the area of the small gauge pod. And there were indicator light location variations from 1750 I believe. And Market variations possible as well.

k

1 - 20 of 46 Posts