Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Im on the verge of buying a '56 Sprint (just sold my '63 Giulia Sprint and though I still have the '57 Spider I miss the Sprint). It is in parts and does not have seats or interior in general. I know that the original exterior colour was Capri light blue. But how can I find out what colour the iterior had? Looking at the photos I can find it seems that most light blue cars had blue and white interiors. Personally I'd fancy a red interior, but only if that would be in keeping with original specifications available.
Another issue is where I could find seats and a new interior? I have found this company:
Alfa Romeo Upholstery, Seats, Carpets, Interior Panels, Convertible Tops, Floor Mats, Headliners and Other Trim Accessories from World Upholstery and Trim
Does anyone have any experience with them? Or does anyone know about a company with similar products located in Europe (that way I could avoid customs and such formalities)?
I know that its difficult to find seats though and I guess that I might have to pay someone to make me a new pair of seats. But it would be worth it I think.
All the best
Henrik

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Hi,

Contact Greig in South Africa (member of this group, alfistiSA), he fabricates new seats for early Sprints.

Try search function here as well, the subject has been up earlier and you might find some useful pics and conversations.....

Dennis

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
P.S.

As for interior and seat covers, go rather for elvezio.com as they are based in Italy (no duties for you) as well as their products are among the best quality you can get and pricewise probably the same as everyone else.

(they speak english, ask for Donatella)

Dennis

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dennis! Elevezio seems very promising! And thanks for the links to threads too. Very useful! :thumbup:
Henrik

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
I have a pair of early (1955, from car no. 1405) Sprint seats and trim panels. The driver's seat bottom frame needs welding, and the springs in all of the seats are rusty from years of being outdoors. These are rough cores, but I think that they will make a useful starting point. Please contact me on private mail, and I will send you photos etc.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Henrik,

According to an original Alfa Romeo document that was on this site some time ago, there were eight exterior body colors and only one interior color from which to choose from. The original interior material was a cloth fabric which was gray with a pale blue/gray repeating stripe. This was used on seats was well as door and quarter panels. Fortunately, this material is still available from the Italian company "Trinchero" After my initial contact with them through their website, they sent me a nice sample swatch in which to evaluate their product. It matched my original fabric exactly. The code for this particular material is #10007/4. The cost for 10 meters, delivered to the US was 345 Euro. It took about 2 months to receive from order placement. They are available by phone as well, and the lady I worked with spoke perfect english. Hope this info is helpful, and good luck with your project.

Vern in Oregon

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
1961 Sprint Veloce Interior 001.jpg I saw different Sprint interior designs at an interior shop located in San Diego, California. Thomas Pocius is replacing my 1961 101 Sprint Veloce interior. I gave him the car's interior that was original except for the seats. The original color was gray cloth, dark blue vinyl, dark blue carpets and white headliner. I know that gray cloth and red vinyl were also used in Sprint interiors. The gray cloth and headliner material are from Italy. The original headliner material is no longer available, but there is a very close substitute made in Italy.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Early Sprint Colours

Some time ago there was this Studio Dinelli designed, early Alfa Romeo colour depiliant for sale on fleabay. From this info, all the early Sprints had GRIGIO RIGATO BLEU interiors, I can only assume that the seats and panels were all grigio rigato cloth [striped grey cloth] and the carpeting was bleu.
Sprints and Berlinas shared the same interiors.
Hope this helps,
Nick.

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,730 Posts
Hi Hendrik

Sorry I'm arriving late to this party, our ISP is playing up and email & BB access is slow

A '56 Sprint would have the same interior as a '57, only the very early '55's had the full cloth interiors as shown in Nick's brochure

An Azzuro Capri '56 would have had a blue & white interior.

Can you post the chassis number & I'll do some more research for you

This is Azzuro Capri on a '55 Sprint, 1493•01149 - ex the late Tony Ranson

Ciao
Greig

Sent from a tablet with a weeny over-sensitive touch screen....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
1955 seats came in two varieties. The first few hundred cars came with taper-topped seat backs and a heavier cloth in gray blue and cream. In my rosso Alfa Romeo car, no. 356, the seats had dark red piping. Here is a photo of the insides of my car:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
I have all the original door cards and panels from the '57 Sprint I sold. Making them from scratch might be a little daunting. If any one is interested in them, PM me. Shipping to Europe would be quite expensive, so keep that in mind. They are specific to the Series 1 and were ALL black. $100 + takes the whole lot. uncle

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
Later in 1955, Alfa (or Bertone) switched the style of the setbacks, and went to a lighter gray cloth. Here is a seat from Sprint 1493.01405. Like the seats in 1493.00356, these seats have removable seat cushions. Sprint no. 1405 was painted grigio chiaro, when new. I believe that the piping came in either red or blue, depending on paint color. I know of an early 1956 Sprint in red in which the original seats match the ones in 1405, but with red piping. One more detail, the backs of the seats in 1405 were blue vinyl, covered over with the gray striped cloth.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
The legend has it that the earliest Sprints were trimmed at Ghia, because Bertone lacked capacity to complete the cars. If so, I wonder whether the earliest setbacks, with the tapered tops, came from Ghia. Anyone have an idea?

Sorry, I took this thread a bit off track. I hope that we're all interested in these minor details. I think that the style of seats in 1405 remained in use through car 6600, which is where the Series 1 production ended, if I am reading the parts manual correctly.

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Hi Hendrik

Sorry I'm arriving late to this party, our ISP is playing up and email & BB access is slow

A '56 Sprint would have the same interior as a '57, only the '55's had the full cloth interiors as shown in Nick's brochure

An Azzuro Capri '56 would have had a blue & white interior.

Can you post the chassis number & I'll do some more research for you

This is Azzuro Capri on a '55 Sprint, 1493•01149 - ex the late Tony Ranson

Ciao
Greig

Sent from a tablet with a weeny over-sensitive touch screen....
This car has a mohair headliner

·
Administrator
3,730 Posts
Thanks Tom, great pictures !!

Last Series I car was 1493E•06611, currently in Texas with our very own Lionel Velez, here on the BB

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the very helpful information and also the useful photos. It's nice to see how a finished car can look.
I was actually wondering about the wire wheels (Borani?). Were they fitted from the factory or are they later? I am not sure what to think about them. They're frequent on 1900 Sprints. But, the Giulietta was such an avant garde design that wire wheels seem a bit out of place, or? At the same time it's difficult to resist the beauty of a set of Borranis.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Later in 1955, Alfa (or Bertone) switched the style of the setbacks, and went to a lighter gray cloth. Here is a seat from Sprint 1493.01405. Like the seats in 1493.00356, these seats have removable seat cushions. Sprint no. 1405 was painted grigio chiaro, when new. I believe that the piping came in either red or blue, depending on paint color. I know of an early 1956 Sprint in red in which the original seats match the ones in 1405, but with red piping. One more detail, the backs of the seats in 1405 were blue vinyl, covered over with the gray striped cloth.
Here are photos of the two early types of seat/side panel material referred to by TomF2.

1. Early type (sample from car #555 alongside remanufactured material commissioned by Paul Gregory).

2. Later type (for 750 sprints). Grey without blue stripe.

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Here are photos of the two early types of seat/side panel material referred to by TomF2.

1. Early type (sample from car #555 alongside remanufactured material commissioned by Paul Gregory).

2. Later type (for 750 sprints). Grey without blue stripe.

I suspect your photos are made up of Megabytes (MB) which won't work. They need to be reduced as per E-mail attachments.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts