Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. It has been a while since I posted any updates on my car, so since I'm closing in on being done with the interior, figured now was a good time. A little while back I pretty much finished up the dash although I still need to re-cover the bottom pad. The paint color is a little darker than I think would have been original, but I think it will go well with the grey of the leather I'm using on the door panels and other areas.

And just this past weekend I continued work on the carpets. I'm sure it won't please some of the purists, but I'm using a German Squareweave wool just because I love the look and feel of it. On the tunnel I'm using a leather with seams reminiscent of the GTA transmission tunnel covers, but finished a bit differently at the bottom. The red "box" on the rear
carpet1.jpg
carpet2.jpg
carpet3.jpg
carpet4.jpg
dash4.jpg
dash5.jpg
seat delete is hiding the relocated battery, hence the cutoff switch there. I still need to make the shift boot as well as a heal pad and a couple of other details, but you can start to see it all taking shape.

Next up hopefully is the front and rear windshield, and then it's time to get serious with trying to get the motor back up and running. Can't wait!!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,634 Posts
Wow, that is amazing. I like the addition of the chrome surround from a GT Veloce between the dash face and the upholstered pieces. Here's how I handled the battery + shut-off switch beneath the rear luggage shelf. With an Odyssy battery, no hump is needed. With the cut-off on the vertical surface, luggage can be loaded on the horizontal surface. But I'm not suggesting that you re-do that beautiful upholstery to do it my way!

1625315
1625316
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. Alfajay; yes, the dash was originally a wood grain one from a GTV. However, it had a big gaping hole in it where somebody hacked a stereo in at some point in its history. So I patched that up with fiberglass and then refinished the whole thing while keeping the provisions for the stainless trim.

As for the battery box, I did actually consider the path you went but decided I wanted to be able to fit a "normal" battery in there should I get stranded somewhere. So before paint I welded in a battery box able to hold a typical battery but am using a small one similar to what you showed. And just because I'm cheeky, I'm using a faux map pocket to conceal my added relays and fuses ;)

battery box.jpg
relays1.jpg
relays2.jpg
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,634 Posts
Oh I see, your Sprint was already a Veloce, but you went with a grey, pebble-finish for the dash (like the GT's). I agree that looks sharper.

I too moved my main fusebox under the dash, but I replaced the Bosch fuses with a modern, blade-style fuseholder. Wish my wiring harnesses was as neat as yours!

I also now understand that although you are using a small Odyssey that can lay on its side, your battery box is designed to accommodate a lead acid battery from Tractor Supply when you get stuck in Turlock. I too considered the "Turlock problem", so left my battery leads long enough so I could remove the shelf (just takes two screws) and just stand a conventional battery on the rear floor. I also used the classic, "clamp-the-cone" style battery terminals, rather than modern ring lugs, so I could connect a traditional battery in a pinch. Admittedly, that set-up wouldn't provide a secure battery hold-down, but so far I haven't had any problems with the Odyssey.
 

·
Registered
1969 Giulia GT Junior, with 2 litre conversion
Joined
·
19 Posts
That's a very well executed and smart interior! What did you do to achieve the finish on the dash? I'd like to cover mine in alcantara, but the hassle factor may outweigh a painted solution (I have a stepnose with the 'humped' dash).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Flying Banana. When you ask how I achieved the finish on the dash, I'm assuming you mean the "face" vs. the top pad? Is that correct? Assuming so, after I was done patching the old radio hole with fiberglass I used a skim coat of body filler to smooth out imperfections. During this time I also had the glove box door mounted so that I could "block" it all in together. Then I went to a high fill primer and continued blocking. When doing all of this I really tried not to build up any bulk where things need to mount to the dash, switches, gauges, etc... as those tolerances are already pretty tight. For the "pebble" like finish on the dash I tried a few different things and ulimtately landed on Duplicolor Trunk paint. I also tried a couple of truck bed liner sprays, but they were a bit more globby than I wanted. It takes a bit of practice to get the spray distance and heaviness dialed in, but after some practice it ended up looking really good. For the topcoat I found the best selection of grays at my local Blick Art Supply as they have a MASSIVE color palate selection for the graffiti crowd. This brand has probably 6 grays that were all in the area I wanted, so I just picked one and went for it. Then a satin clear on top of that.

dash paint.jpg
dash paint2.jpg
dash paint3.jpg
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top