Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
That's gotta be the ugliest car to roll out of Zagato's workshop...
They’re actually a better looking in person than in the photos, but that's not saying much...

There's at least one other in the US (it looks better in silver), but buy this one and it's a good bet that you'll never see another one coming at you on the road.

·
Registered
518 Posts
This car was sold out of Scotland earlier this year for around/just below $20K I am surprised how quickly it is up for sale again if you take into account shipping time. It apparently had some paint issues which the current seller refers to. Has anyone seen it in person?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Zagato

[QUOTE it's a good bet that you'll never see another one coming at you on the road.[/QUOTE]

Thank God.:D

I've posted this elsewhere, but it seems appropriate here...

Alfa Romeo Designers

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
This car was sold out of Scotland earlier this year for around/just below $20K I am surprised how quickly it is up for sale again if you take into account shipping time. It apparently had some paint issues which the current seller refers to. Has anyone seen it in person?
And it's hard to imagine any car less likely be imported (at current exchange rates) and flipped. It's going to be very interesting to see how this turns out.

But they really do look better in person (not necessarily in red, though); the silver one I mentioned earlier was at The Best of France and Italy just this past Sunday.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
But they really do look better in person (not necessarily in red, though); the silver one I mentioned earlier was at The Best of France and Italy just this past Sunday.
The Flavia Zagato was (I think?) one of Ercole Spada's later designs for Zagato. While it was not as successful as his "double bubble" cars, I agree that most photos don't do the cars justice. Virtually all of Spada's designs have a lot of integrety. Flavia Z's are striking cars when seen up close or on the street.

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
There are only a handful left in the whole world. To me, the asking price is a bargain, and I would buy it if I had the money (at $25,000)!

It must be remembered that this car ran in the 1600cc to 2 liter class, and not in the 1100-1300cc or 1300-1600cc class.

I see this as a car worth $50,000 when all the minor imperfections are corrected. It's one of those "it's so ugly that it's pretty" kind of cars :)

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
There are only a handful left in the whole world. To me, the asking price is a bargain, and I would buy it if I had the money (at $25,000)!

It must be remembered that this car ran in the 1600cc to 2 liter class, and not in the 1100-1300cc or 1300-1600cc class.

I see this as a car worth $50,000 when all the minor imperfections are corrected. It's one of those "it's so ugly that it's pretty" kind of cars :)
The market doesn't really know what to make of these--least of all in the US--but $50K would be about the current guide price for true #1 condition--absolute concours condition, without no imperfections.

BTW, the first series cars were 1500cc. The car on eBay is a second series, 1800cc with twin Webers (a few of the S2 cars had fuel injection). And although the seller says there are only a handful left, this isn't literally true. With only 600+ originally made, they've always been rare, but I think you'll find that there are a fair number left worldwide, though probably less than a handful in the US.

I can't say the two-tone paint (or is it three-tone?) on this one works for me. The seller says it was originally silver. Better to have left it alone in that regard, IMHO.

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
How many do you think are left worldwide?

As far as I am aware (and I'm not a Lancia expert), these cars were actually quite sucessful in their racing class...

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
How many do you think are left worldwide?

As far as I am aware (and I'm not a Lancia expert), these cars were actually quite sucessful in their racing class...
I really don't know how many survive but, as Zagato-bodied cars, they've always been appreciated--if not always admired for their looks. So I wouldn't be at all surprised if as many as a third to a half of them are still around--not a lot in terms of production car numbers, but that would still be a couple hundred. This is just a guess, though. Of course, being 'oddball' cars, they've always been more appreciated in Europe than in the US; for whatever reason, we tend to be unimpressed by the unconventional.

It's entirely possible, though, that I just seem to be running into a number of them in the course of my latest quest to solve the mystery of 'the chassis type that isn't supposed to exist'. The silver RHD Flavia Sport that turned up at BoFI on Sunday has a chassis plate with a chassis type that doesn't exist in any of the Lancia reference sources, and for the past couple of months I've been making inquiries from here to South Africa to try to figure it out. On Sunday the owner confirmed that the car was originally an SA delivery, so I believe I have the answer to the mystery. But in my inquiries I've run across enough cars to believe that far more than 'only a handful' still exist.

The Flavia Sport does hold a significant place in Lancia competition history, but being significant isn't necessarily the same thing as being successful. They were mostly run by privateers in rallies and the European Touring Car Championship (there was also a limited works program, if I'm not mistaken). They had some class wins, but the only overall win of real note was the 1965 Coupe des Alpes (that car still exists). Honestly, I think you'd have to call it pretty limited success.

In any case, the Flavia Sport was dramatically overshadowed by the introduction of the Fulvia coupe, which was itself followed by the Stratos, which was followed by the 037, which was followed by the Delta. Between 1972 and 1992, those cars won 11 World Rally Championships. That was a pretty tough act to precede.

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
Thanks for the info. It would be a tough choice for me between a concours one of these and a concours Fulvia HF or Fulvia Zagato for the same price.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Ah the Flavia Sport. One of my favorite Zagato designs but the most "love it or hate it" for sure. Prices for those are all over the map. The Omicron guys wanted Pounds 28k for their perfectly restored RHD example last year. I passed due to RHD. I came very close to buying a very, very nice driver in Belgium last month, offered at Euro 22k and ten times better condition than the Scottish one/now in Cali car on eBay - But then this amazing Flaminia Sport in Switzerland came along and I could not resist and now I am completely broke.

Some racing success for the Flavia Sport in private hands: These cars where pretty good in some local under 2 litre races and hill climbs (including a first at the 65 Coupe des Alpes).

The Flavia engine is another Lancia marvel and the smoothest four cylinder boxer you will ever meet. Not pretty to look at but absolutely amazing engineering. I could not get enough driving the coupe. Once set up, pretty much bullet proof as well. Even better in a light weight Zagato body. Completely undervalued car - if you like the idiosyncratic design.

Mike

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Some racing success for the Flavia Sport in private hands: These cars where pretty good in some local under 2 litre races and hill climbs (including a first at the 65 Coupe des Alpes).

When I first moved to central Texas in the late 60's there was a Lancia dealer in Austin. For awhile he had a Flavia factory prepared rally car for sale. I was impressed at the professionalism apparent in its preparation. Painted black and white, it looked to be a very businesslike ride. I believe it was sold to someone in California but, now of course, it could be anywhere in the world.

Congratulations on finding your Flaminia Z, Mike! I wonder how many are left worldwide of the 528 produced?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Here is the car in Belgium that I passed on last month for the Flaminia Sport. This was a steal for Euro22k. Owned by a Lancia mechanic who retired to Spain with his girlfirend. By the way, the guy in the beard is the Lancia mechanic!!

That would have been a blast to drive through SoCal, but oh well, something even better came along ...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts