Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There is a 1985 Spider Veloce for sale in my area (small, individually owned garage with some older cars in the lot).
Some particulars: new ragtop, no visible rust (some bubbling on the right rear side panel about a 3"x5" spot), paint in good shape, bumpers a bit loose, needs a new windshield as it has a small round hole on the driver's side. Looks original down to the five spoke wheels. From a side-view, might need some work on the exhaust as it is hanging a bit. I would have gotten more pictures but there seems to be a bee colony living in the passenger side rear bumper.

Interior looks decent, some tears in the passenger side seat along the seams. Does have the wood steering wheel and a white knob shifter. Blue interior.

The car has been out there since very early spring (March) - didn't give it much thought until I passed it again today (don't go that direction often but it is about 5 miles from me). Thoughts or suggestions about price and what to look for when I go back to take a look at it when they are open?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
do I see that the rockers (sills) are painted black? If so, that is not original, and typically a sign of potential (poor) rust repair (doing it well is not exactly cheap).....Rust is the major enemy, and is hard/expensive to fix, so that should be the number one thing you look for, very closely....check out the floors for rust...........other than that, how many miles? Drive it, and look for worn syncromesh rings (crunching gears, specifically when shifting from third to second...it's a weakness of these cars). Others may add other suggestions

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Look for rust in the well where the spare tire is stored in the trunk.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
There's probably plenty more rust around that 3x5 spot . . . and that's pretty large to begin with. The car is parked on dirt so, you can bet that it's got rust on the undercarriage. The black-painted rockers should be assumed to be a problem with rust until proven otherwise. The paint color is not a popular Alfa color either. And we haven't even gotten to talking about the mechanicals yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys - knew this would be the place to ask

Went back up a bit ago to check - I did see the black paint along the bottom (good catch from that photo!) "feels" a bit like it had been sandblasted as well.

I wasn't as concerned about the mechanicals as I was about the propensity of rust as my step-father is a retired Kenworth diesel mechanic and has a lot of experience with US muscle cars and MG's - he wouldn't mind working on the mechanicals (so he says!). I'm getting priced out of TR6's these days and the Spider was the other car that I always wanted growing up.

Quick note about the shop where it is located - took a walk toward the back of the lot and found a 2000 and a spider shell - both rather bad shape and a Milano which had been totaled - probably using them for parts. There is a '70 or so Mercedes 450SL (also for sale).

The top end restorer in our area is in Gladstone which is a very wealthy town in Somerset county - he recently had a '67 (absolutely gorgeous) but sold it in a couple of days.
Go to the home page and choose "Italian" from the menu
http://www.stableltd.com/inventory.aspx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts