Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello! This is my first post, so let me start by saying that I love Alfas, and am glad to be here.

I'm interested in Montreals, first and foremost.

I test drove a '72 model a few days ago, and it kept dying unless I kept giving it some gas. It refused to idle. Any ideas as to why that would happen?

I'm thinking that it might be an issue with a fuel line.

It was this particular car: http://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1972-alfa-romeo-montreal--c-192.htm

Thanks!

·
Registered
257 Posts
The problem is most likley from the SPICA fuel injection. Unfortunately, you need someone who is familiar to the system to check that for you.

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
It seem for the price they are asking for this car it would be in workin' order. It's been on Evil Bay and never sold. I'd be careful with this one and pay someone who knows the car to check it out, if you are considering buying.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
There are a couple of issues with this Montreal:

• It's got a respray. No Montreals were delivered in that colour
  • The engine bay looks very deteriorated. I'd be wary of the water and fuel hoses in there.
  • Surface corrosion in all the wrong places, even on the screws holding the stainless steel trim in the door openings. Looks like it has been sitting for a very long time, and likely outside. There is rust in the front valance drain slits.
  • The suspension appears to be untouched by humand hand since it was new. This thing will likely corner like a waterbed.
  • Its stance looks strange. Sagging front suspension?
  • Appears to have been repaired in the rear footwells. Why?
  • Dealer has photographed the airbox part number up close and thus likely has no clue about the car. There is also strictly speaking no such thing as an "original California" Montreal, although they probably mean it's been in CA for a very long time.
  • Cigarette lighter is missing
  • Although cosmetic, the abundance of extra lights doesn't do much for its appearance. What will happen to the fuel pressure (twin electric pumps) if you switch everything on at once is an open question
  • It's got 1971 door handles but the late 1972 idle air circuitry. Odd.
  • The rear exhaust resonators appears to be leaking
  • Front spoiler is broken on driver's side

This Montreal need extensive refurbishment before it can be driven anywhere, and in my opinion the price reflects that. A perfect Montreal is easily $40k-$45k in Europe these days.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are a couple of issues with this Montreal:
[*]Cigarette lighter is missing
[*]Front spoiler is broken on driver's side
The cigarette lighter was actually inside the ashtray when I saw it. I also noticed the spoiler.

Would you mind directing me to a list of original Montreal colors? :)

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Everything you will ever need to know about the Montreal is gathered in one place: The Alfa Romeo Montreal Website. The original colour chart is found in the "Finish" section.

You should also consider joining the Alfamontreal Yahoo Group. The occiasional Montreal is advertised for sale there, plus the discussion about cars advertised elsewhere tend to be ... err ... honest, and of course devoid of the many myths sourrounding the model ;)

·
Super Moderator
11,358 Posts
I'm no expert on Montreals, but can add one item to TorW's list: The wheels are incorrect. The spare looks like the correct wheel - wonder what happened to the other four? Montreal wheels are unique.

The car also looks like it was dipped in ArmorAll to prep it for sale. I always worry about a seller who would do something like that.

Not saying that you shouldn't buy it, but I do agree that a PPI should be performed, and then you should negotiate aggressively.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Not to imply this Montreal is beyond rescue or anything, but ArmorAll is the corpse makeup of the automotive world. The rear seat is thick rubber in the seat and Texalfa (leatherette/skai) in the back rest, so a couple of rounds with a washcloth would have worked just as well and avoided the touch and smell of the evil, evil teflon/silicon spray.

But then again, the interior carpets looks new and the dealer does in fact present the car "as is". What happened to the wheels is anyone's guess, but aftermarket wheels seems to fit in with the rest of the many small cosmetic "improvements" done to it. The original wheels could very well be stashed away in the PO's garage or shed somewhere, or sold to an unsuspecting Alfetta owner many years ago ;)

I'd seriously consider buying this car if I was looking for a relatively easy Montreal project. I.e. it only takes lots of elbow grease as opposed to spending years hunting down unobtainable parts. California means little or no rust, and the car looks complete. Suspension is 99% contemporary GT/GTV parts, and rubber hoses and misc parts are readily available.

Note: this opinion is based on the pictures and discussion elsewhere alone. I have not inspected the car.

·
Super Moderator
11,358 Posts
I'd seriously consider buying this car if I was looking for a relatively easy Montreal project. I.e. it only takes lots of elbow grease as opposed to spending years hunting down unobtainable parts.
Yea, assuming the engine is sound. Rebuilding a Monty engine is a pretty daunting project.

California means little or no rust, and the car looks complete. Suspension is 99% contemporary GT/GTV parts, and rubber hoses and misc parts are readily available.
Having lived most of my adult life here, I can say that cars do rust in California. Especially those garaged near the coast. OK our roads don't get salted, and the air isn't humid. Coupes survive better than convertibles whose tops always seem to leak causing the floor insulation to stay wet all winter. But believe me, California does not guarantee "little or no rust". Verifying this is what the pre-purchase inspection is for.

A car with contemporary California plates could have been shipped here from New Jersey yesterday. Fortunately this Montreal has a style of license plate which hasn't been issued in 10 or 15 years, so it probably has been in California at least that long.

I hope I'm not coming across as knocking this car. It may well be the Montreal deal of the century. Just don't assume anything. The tacky fog lights, the liberal use of ArmorAll are red flags - but a PPI may indicate that only minor things need attention.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You guys are slipping:

--tyre label
--tyre SIZE on said tyre label
--TWO passengers at 260# ???
--missing B emblem on right wing
--missing "torino" emblem on left wing
--extra lamp switch
--extra center console screw (and it's HUGE), likely from a rear passenger--probably a dwarf with claustrophobia--making a hasty exit and kicking up the console in so doing
--broken rear hatch lever, probably from the dwarf repeatedly slamming the door on the seatbelt
--speaking of seatbelts: where's the passenger's?
--electric tape on sill plates=klass act, yo! Sell stickers, buy Chinos. Win-win!
--rot in passenger sill
--mirrors
--wrong defroster controls; screws are from a Pinto--probably a pinto BEAN
--what the heck does "GO" mean? Maybe they are a Tones On Tail fan, cuz, otherwise, that front plate is from Gorizia, making that NOT an "original CA car." Can't have it both ways.
--soiled tissue under left wiper arm
--dead porcupine in glove box

Whatever, guys. Please don't ask me to pop the hood of my car. You won't like it; save the trouble.

FTR, those are 1980-1989 CA license plates. 1972 CA plates would be solid blue with two sets of yellow characters, ### @@@ (@="a letter") with a space in between, and it was probably ### [email protected]@ or ### [email protected]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts