Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Under 10k miles 2017 4C coupe. 2 prior owners. Carfax shows no issues reported. Last owner reportedly did the chassis procedure but in stages...first in October the front and the rear in February. Does this sound right? Airline tickets are at bargain pricing so I plan to inspect personally. I am hoping current or former owners can shed some light on what problem areas, if any, I need to pay attention. I am pleased with all the reports and positive reviews on this model. I had hoped that Alfa (FCA) would import some of the worldwide cars to the USA, but sadly I believe this is not going to happen.
Any personal help or comments from owners will be appreciated. If the comes to be I would like to drive it home, over 1100 miles.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would suggest you post on 4C-Forums. Majority of the owners live on that site and you'll get more assistance. Depending on location there might be someone that knows the car or is willing to take a look at it for you.

I can't tell you what to look for, I bought mine with 30ish miles on it and a year later have 12.5k miles from just weekend drives. I had a gasket go that let oil leak to outside of engine however I haven't heard of this being a common issue. Beyond that, I have had 0 issues except that trips take longer than expected due to talking to folks that ask about it.

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update...I have purchased the 4C. Now it gets interesting.
Lots of communication with selling dealer. They are closed until April 13, but may be longer after today's announcement of extended "stay home" directive.
Original plan to drive/ fly has been changed to shipment by transport at a date to be determined. Still thinking about drive and trailer home. Concerns there are lodging and meals as many businesses are closed.
This is worse than waiting to open a Christmas gift as a kid.
Cheers, Jon

·
Registered
869 Posts
Update...I have purchased the 4C. Now it gets interesting.
Lots of communication with selling dealer. They are closed until April 13, but may be longer after today's announcement of extended "stay home" directive.
Original plan to drive/ fly has been changed to shipment by transport at a date to be determined. Still thinking about drive and trailer home. Concerns there are lodging and meals as many businesses are closed.
This is worse than waiting to open a Christmas gift as a kid.
Cheers, Jon
Hey Jon, Congratulations! Depending on where the 4C is located I may have a good transport option for you. Give a call if you have my phone or I can call you with info.
Thanks neil

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4C finally arrived. We were able to put a few miles on it last evening.
A few quick observations:
Engine/exhaust tone not as loud as I expected
Wind noise louder than expected
Ez access...not so good on exit...think pelican landing....more practice needed.
Fun as my Spider but a shade quicker
Rubber necks, tailgaters, slow passers. Need to get used to it.
8 days shipping...driver made many stops.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Fun as my Spider but a shade quicker
Curious on what was done to your Spider, and on a more detailed comparison to your 4C.

I am fascinated by those little mid-engine wonders, can't stop looking at them or reading about them. But the wife will require an even alfa-to-alfa swap (really a sacrifice), so the Spider to 4C exchange can't only be emotional.

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Spider is mildly ( street) modified. Nowhere close to th 4C. Steering and suspension feel similar.
Currently the 4C is priced at nearly half of msrp. A bargain! If in the 60's we had been able to buy a TZ or SZ for half price we would have all jumped on it. I liken this to a similar situation. A limited low production model with race like capabilities. Now that the coupe is discontinued that just adds to the comparison.
Buy now....beg for forgiveness.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looks great, congrats! If you haven't already, you should check out 4c-forums, that is where majority of the owners area at. Tons of great information and very welcoming group.

In regard to the sound, looks like you have akra exhaust, when you switch to dynamic it should get louder (not insane but noticeable). This will also change shift points keeping you in a lower gear longer, still keeping traction control, just not as heavy handed as other modes.

Wind noise, I haven't been in a coupe, my spider isn't bad on wind noise unless top is off. If you haven't already, order gummi pflege and apply to all rubber seals, may need multiple coats. I use this on all my cars, works great to keep seals in good shape and helps abate some of the wind noise due to a better seal.

Including a few shots of mine. Not really a bad angle on these little cars.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts