Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 84 spider was hit and they want to total the car.:(. damage... left front fender pushed in( above wheel) steering box broken, and aliment now is lost....the company say's because there is oil beneth the car, that it has proir damage,:confused: the adjuster did not want to listen to me, as i told her ' all car have some oil benith them, even honda's .and she saw that my rear quater panels where painted in black, so she said this was agian prior damage,:confused: even thuo the car was hit in the front.:confused:..i tryed to tell her that the black paint was a ' guide coat, in helping me get the panel saned flat before the new paint goe'son..agian closed mind..:confused:...the local front end shop i use pointed out the crack in the housing was clean,, not old and dirty, so this was a new damage, do the impact. a slow speed impact, parking lot.......so how do i get around her? :confused:i was told small claims court. but i cannot find out how to serve the insurance comapny, they will not tell me where they are... anyone here have any ideas?:eek: i spent 2 years on this car, getting the car perfect.. no bondo/ plastic on the car.. before the hit all the panel's where perfect.:D.i don't want my car crushed,:( or worse yet...' salvage title':mad::(

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Insurance Problems....

my 84 spider was hit and they want to total the car.:(. damage... left front fender pushed in( above wheel) steering box broken, and aliment now is lost....the company say's because there is oil beneth the car, that it has proir damage,:confused: the adjuster did not want to listen to me, as i told her ' all car have some oil benith them, even honda's .and she saw that my rear quater panels where painted in black, so she said this was agian prior damage,:confused: even thuo the car was hit in the front.:confused:..i tryed to tell her that the black paint was a ' guide coat, in helping me get the panel saned flat before the new paint goe'son..agian closed mind..:confused:...the local front end shop i use pointed out the crack in the housing was clean,, not old and dirty, so this was a new damage, do the impact. a slow speed impact, parking lot.......so how do i get around her? :confused:i was told small claims court. but i cannot find out how to serve the insurance comapny, they will not tell me where they are... anyone here have any ideas?:eek: i spent 2 years on this car, getting the car perfect.. no bondo/ plastic on the car.. before the hit all the panel's where perfect.:D.i don't want my car crushed,:( or worse yet...' salvage title':mad::(

Some suggestions:

Ask for another adjuster or a second opinion. Did you have any documentation prior to the accident of the cars value? That would help you. Have an independent appraiser that is familiar with foreign cars, in particular, Alfas, assess the damage. If you end up going to court you will need proof from a source other than yourself and preferably from an SME.

Pit the two insurance companies against each other --- have the other parties insurance company inspect the car and see if they have a different opinion. It's all a game of getting out of it as cheaply as the insurance company can.

The insurance company has to have a home office. Start Internet searching if they won't tell you. Look at your bills and correspondence for an address to serve them at. Call the other persons insurance company, act stupid, and see if they'll tell you where to deliver some papers your insurance company has requested and you just can't seem to locate the phone number or address for your daughter who is doing it for you.

If worse comes to worse, you can buy the car as a total back from the insurance company; however, depending on your state, you may end up with a salvaged title. That is really only important if you intend to sell the car. If you intend to keep it, it doesn't matter. My MB has a salvaged title.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
What company are you dealing with? Is it yours or the "other party's" company? Is this a hit and run and you're dealing with your own company? Ask for another adjuster. If you were repainting your car because of faded paint, then the black guide coat is not evidence of "prior damage" and they can't substantiate that it was. Or so it seems to me. If they won't tell you where they are, call the state insurance commissioner. I'm sure he'll be interested in their non-responsiveness.

Michael

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
You must be dealing with the other party's insurance, if it was yours, you'd have the physical address to serve them. But anyway, what have you recieved in writing? There must be a return address? In small claims court you sue the party that hit you. Get your ducks in a row. You need to have prepared a complete written estimate of the damage from a registered repair shop, or two and it maybe two shops, one for body, one for mechanical. Photos, police report, comparative values of similar Alfa's. If the total damage is more than the value of the car, it will be totaled, end of story, so you have to substantiate a value for your car, before the damage, that is higher than the cost to repair. Sometimes it's better to total the car, buy it back, strip it and find a nice Alfa that needs a motor or trans, etc.

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
heck , i am getting $3500 for the car and i get to keep it..:)...i allready took out the fender damage, and now i am waiting for a new steering box... only 75 inc. shipping...i came out ahead :), this will pay for a new paint job i was going to do anyway, and a new coth top...and money left over to buy a spider localy that has a factory hardtop,,,and i can gut that one for the motor and tranny and other things,, not bad..

·
Registered
447 Posts
Bianchi, If you have collision/comprehensive coverage on your Alfa, call your own insurance company and make a claim on your policy for the damage to your car. Then, you can sit back and let your insurance company have the fun of going after the other guy to reimburse it for the damage to your Alfa.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts