Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who do you use to insure your non-running project as it gains in value? I got a quote from Haggerty a few years back, they seemed very tuned in to the life and times of a project car. Anything I should look out for before getting a quote? My car will soon be leaving my garage on a flatbed, for paint and bodywork so I'm eager to get insurance started.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,537 Posts
Hagerty is very affordable, and from reports I've read are good to work with on claims. They have some restrictions (like the car needs to be stored in a private, locked garage in most cases) but if you meet the requirements I'd say go with them.

I've got the Giulia insured with them on a fixed value policy.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right you are. I just got a quote for storage insurance... $100/y if valued at 15k, $170/y @ 35k. Sounds good to me.

·
Registered
872 Posts
When building my GTA Rep, in league with the guy who built the shell (on his premises), I paid him stage payments.
I was already insured with Hagerty on my other GT Junior, so as soon as I parted with my first tranche of money, and subsequently when I started building lots of £'s worth of parts into it, I upped the value in stages, so that if at any time the car caught fire, or the garage it was in was robbed, it was covered.
Hagerty are well versed in doing this.
Just remember to constantly re-assess the value, particularly if there's a pile of new bits alongside, waiting to be fitted.

Steve

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, I was impressed with them having thought through all the issues we face. In addition to updating the value based on my input, they said that they increase it 10% every month without being told, to keep pace with small incremental work.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Honestly, I'm not going to insure my car until I'm ready to drive it. God forbid if the house burns down or a flood or tornado takes out my home/garage I'm hosed but I will play the %/numbers.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,537 Posts
Honestly, I'm not going to insure my car until I'm ready to drive it. God forbid if the house burns down or a flood or tornado takes out my home/garage I'm hosed but I will play the %/numbers.
Your call, but if the car's worth any substantial amount, Hagerty is worth it just for peace of mind. They're amazingly affordable.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
For the Aussies on the board, Shannon's do an excellent "laid up" cover - can be for if you're not using the car for an extended period, or if you're in the progress of restoration.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I don't know if they still have this but Grundy used to provide special rates for cars that were in the process of restoration. Been with Grundy for over 10 years and like their rates and provisions of their policy.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
My 3 Alfa's are with Haggerty. very good company. Only issue I have is all my other insurance is with Shelter. including an umbrella policy. To keep my Umbrella with Shelter I have to all my cars insured with liability through them.

So... I have double coverage on them. Shelter is really cheap with just liability. $80 or so yr. Silly to have them double insured but I've priced it with other companies and it's still competitive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts