Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend an insurance company to insure a 66 Duetto in Massachusetts? I ask because it seems I am better served by a "classic car" insurance company that understands how to underwrite for this type of car, given it is not my daily driver, resulting in the premium being relatively low. I called Progressive, my regular car insurance comapany, and they quoted me as if it was a 2011 BMW 528 I drive to work every day. Anyone use Chubb's Collector Car insurance?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I insure all my vehicles with State Farm, and surprisingly they insure a lot of collector vehicles (including my '69 Spider and '73 Montreal), with very low rates if you drive less than 2500 or 7500 miles per year per vehicle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have used Chubb's collector car program and I am satisfied with it, although I have not had to file a claim. You definitiely want to insure it as a collectors car with a "stated value". That way if the car is totaled you collect the stated value and not theACV (actual cash vlaue).

·
Registered
3,927 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
On my 86 spyder....Using regular State Farm..(not their collector policy) for 6 months, full coverage, including glass...no mileage restrictions, I pay $66.23 With that low cost, and no restrictions...why go anyplace....

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have my '67 Duetto insured with Hagerty in Massachusetts, as well as my '81 and my '56 Chevy. All 3 for under $300. Full coverage, same as my daily driver which costs over a grand, no restrictions, agreed value.

·
Registered
293 Posts
On my 86 spyder....Using regular State Farm..(not their collector policy) for 6 months, full coverage, including glass...no mileage restrictions, I pay $66.23 With that low cost, and no restrictions...why go anyplace....
Do they have an "agreed value" before the fact you're being covered for? That was my main concern when taking my 3 Spider's off my "regular" policy and insuring them with American Collectors. I had a Jaguar XK-E insured with Allstate (this is a few decades ago) and when it was stolen, the car suddenly had no real value and they offered $1400 initially. After just over a year of negotiating, I settled for $19K, so I've been very careful since then. I'm now paying just over $300 for all the Spider's (zero deductibles), which would actually be much cheaper if I adjusted down the agreed values to more accurately reflect the current market. I'm allowed 2,500 miles per year per car, which is more than enough for me.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have my 92 spider with Grundy, agreed value of $25,000. Not to be used for commuting or running errands, with no mileage restrictions etc. for $290.00 per year. After reading this thread seems like Hagerty is the lowest, but you would have to compare apples to apples. I am happy with Grundy's service when they sold me the policy. I have read in other posts they are good on a claim. I don't want to find out for myself.

·
Super Moderator
11,130 Posts
I insure all my vehicles with State Farm, and surprisingly they insure a lot of collector vehicles (including my '69 Spider and '73 Montreal), with very low rates if you drive less than 2500 or 7500 miles per year per vehicle.
I too use State Farm. Somehow, I really like that I have a local agent, who in my case also happens to be a "car guy". I use SF's collector car program, but have my daily drivers and home with them too.

A few months ago, I got an online estimate from one of the larger specialty insurers (was it Hagerty?), and was surprised to find that while it was less expensive than State Farm, the difference wasn't much. I'm OK with paying a premium to have a local agent.

jcslocum said:
Price is low but I have never had a claim....
Right! It would be good to hear recommendations from people who have successfully collected $1,000 (or whatever) from their long distance insurer to replace that stepnose grille some moron in a pickup truck backed into. I'm not saying my State Farm policy would pay without question, but somehow I take comfort in knowing I can go into my agent's office and bang on his desk. The prospect of calling an 800 number and trying to convince someone in Mumbai that stepnose grilles really do cost $1,000 just terrifies me.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I use Hagerty's and have had a claim. I reported the claim and within an hour the "estimater" called to ask if it was at a shop he go and see it? I told him my regular was unavailable and was looking for a quality shop, he said to let him know immediately because Hagerty was a stickler for not letting the customer wait. Long story short he estimated the car's repair, actually over what the shop had estimated at and no questions asked when complete they cut a check to the shop. A few days later a Hagerty's rep called to ask if I was satisfied and should any running problems arise just return it to the shop and they would settle with the shop. I couldn't have been more satisfied would recommend them without hesitation.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Just got my renewal. $238 for the year in NY with an agreed value of $10K. It;s an '86 spider. Very cheap for NY!!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I was just looking into this question last week for my '72 Spider. I've had it insured through State Farm since I bought it in 2006. The rate was fine with a limit of 5000 miles per year with no restrictions on the type of driving. No problem to stay under that limit. It occurred to me though that I've put a lot of money into this car over the years. Many times it's "blue book" value. So that got me concerned. What if it was totaled? It turns out my State Farm policy would only pay market value. They don't do "stated value" policies which means that, in addition to the horror of a totaled Spider, I would be out a lot of dollars.

The timing on this thread is perfect since I need to find a different insurer. Good information here that I'll follow up on.

·
Registered
7,387 Posts
I have my 92 spider with Grundy, agreed value of $25,000. Not to be used for commuting or running errands, with no mileage restrictions etc. for $290.00 per year. After reading this thread seems like Hagerty is the lowest, but you would have to compare apples to apples. I am happy with Grundy's service when they sold me the policy. I have read in other posts they are good on a claim. I don't want to find out for myself.
i have the same car - 92 spider veloce with an agreed upon rate of 20k with grundy.

i actually switched from hagerty's to grundy last year because of the price.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hi Lambert,

Just curious, I know you are in Metro New York. How much is your policy? Is it still a good deal for New York?

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Insurance

I just got off the phone with Hegarty and am going to go with them.
$184/year, $500 deductible, stated value coverage of $15,000, 250/500 coverages, garaged in Boston suburb. Sounds like they know what they are talking about. Good website, etc. Thanks for all the input and insight.

·
Registered
368 Posts
You might want to check the difference between stated and agreed. I would not want stated.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have several alfa spiders of various age in restoration and an 86 quad that i DRIVE OCCATIONALLY. I insure with J C tayalor. Agreed value $20k. No deductible, 5K per year, first year $232, second year $132, $20 additional for the others as put on road. Check them out, seems to be the best I have found and as said no deduct and set value without questions asked! A few other car enthusiast put me on to them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts