Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
my first thread was a couple of weeks ago about my 97 Spider, had just bought it, taken the engine out and it was on axel stands, when a neighbours car ran off their drive and into the back of my baby pushing it off the axel stands... was not impressed...anyhow that was a couple of weeks ago....
my problem or complaint is that in the uk when an accident happens the insurance company sends out an assessor to asess the damage and place a value on it, he then reports back to the insurance and they either pay you out or send it to be repaired...
the first engineer called about two weeks ago and yesterday I got the results of his findings....he assessd the damage at £430.00...I hit the roof...it costs more than that to repair the back bumper....the damages cover;
1. Two front discs
2. Front pads only after a row.
2. Lamba probe.
3. Damage to rear bumper.
All work I would do because I wanted to save the other driver money.

So after one holy row with the insurance company they sent an independant Alfa approved engineer today, which I asked for over three weeks ago...So the engineer turned up and wait for it>>>>>
1. New back bumper because it has been bent, not noticed by the previous engineeer.
2. Front discs
3. Front pads.
4. Lamba probe.
5. Damage to the under body where the damaged axel stands gouged out.
6. 2X damaged drive shafts, not noticed by the previous arse hole..
7. Plus futher items to be checked out by him.
8. And all work to be completed by the Alfa approved garage, so we can add on tax and labour to the amount.
So after trying to be helpfull I got shafted by the insurance company, moral of the story...dont be nice...yea right..:confused:

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
sounds about right - personally I never bother trying to save your neighbour money - its not his money - its the insurance companies.

his insurance premium will go up irrelivent of the size of the claim.

Sadly sometimes trying to do someone a favour ends up with you loosing out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep your dam right, especially when his insurance company has stated that they may right my car off and scrap it. NO WAY BROTHER< NO WAY!!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
That may work in your favour. I had a car written off as it was deemed uneconomical to repair but bought it back from the insurance company. I fixed it with second hand parts and was £300 better off at the end of it.

The fact that it has been written off may count against you when you resell the car but a low category write off such as this can be explained if you keep all the documentation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got the quote today back from the alfa approved and insurance approved engineer £3,850....yep.....and i wanted just enough to cover the parts...whers the common sense..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts