Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Removed the core today. It was not pretty. The Horror.....the horror.

The plan is to put foam seal around the new core. However, the insulation on the flap in the A/C box is toast, as well (See photos 2 and 4). Should it be stripped and replaced too?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Cleaned Up.

This looks better....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27,291 Posts
John,

Check foam inside blower motor housing floor. It is probably soaked in coolant, too. I washed that out with fresh water.

If blower motor original I would get a new bosch one from a Saab 9000 parts supplier.

Rock Auto has them for about 60 bucks. Did Blake's car have a good spare heater core?

BOSCH Part # 0130111008 BLOWER MTR
Category: Blower Motor

$53.79

Also inspect insulation inside a/c evaporator box to be sure it is securely glued in place.

As for insulation on fresh air door you may be able to remove and replace it but just removing any pieces that may break off later maybe sufficient.

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
John,

Check foam inside blower motor housing floor. It is probably soaked in coolant, too. I washed that out with fresh water.

If blower motor original I would get a new bosch one from a Saab 9000 parts supplier.

Rock Auto has them for about 60 bucks. Did Blake's car have a good spare heater core?

BOSCH Part # 0130111008 BLOWER MTR
Category: Blower Motor

$53.79

Also inspect insulation inside a/c evaporator box to be sure it is securely glued in place.

As for insulation on fresh air door you may be able to remove and replace it but just removing any pieces that may break off later maybe sufficient.
Yes! Blake - prince of a guy - is selling me his core. Ironically, he and I installed that very core a year before he began parting the car out. So ti's very low mileage.

Applied a little voltage to the blower once it was out and it was quiet and torquey. However, at $54 it just makes sense to replace a 17-year-old motor.

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keep Thinking of Additional Questions.

Since the Freon is out of the car (Replaced the compressor last fall and never got it recharged) I want to re-wrap the refrigerant lines.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
27,291 Posts
Since the Freon is out of the car (Replaced the compressor last fall and never got it recharged) I want to re-wrap the refrigerant lines.

Any suggestions?
Lowes, Home Depot or A/C heating supply hose for refrigieration line covering like they use on home a/c outside lines or hot water heaters.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I used home pipe foam and wrapped it with metal foil tape. I think it worked pretty well.
Charles

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Perfect!
Thanks, all.

·
Premium Member
9,811 Posts
Perfect!
Thanks, all.
No no. Use the right thing for the right job.

This is the stuff I used which is exactly what is on the doors and so forth in the A/C system.

Got a roll of it here enough for everything for about $15

SSP Foam Mat 1/4" thick by 48" wide w/PSA (per foot)-Super Soundproofing, Co.

Works great. Used it to make new Fresh air door, insulated all A/C system and HVAC box etc...Also used it on A/C pipe on fender well that started to fall apart.
Great for a lot of stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just ordered some.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Box from Super Soundproofing arrived today.
You get plenty of the stuff for not a lot of $$.

Will try to get it in this weekend.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I know this is a bit off-topic but your fourth photo appears to show a pollen filter of the paper kind. Is that the installed position of it? If so, it seems the evaporator box is different for the second-series (V6 24V) 164. I was thinking of getting a proper pollen filter one day (I currently use a piece of dark-grey foam trimmed to size) and it's useful to know that the later cars have a different filter.

I found that doing as you are doing (fixing the sealing on the recirculation flap, insulating the metal pipes, and also adding insulation to the fan housing and top of the heater box, above the fan) 'bought' me a few more degrees of cooling in the summer.

-Alex

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alex, It's a paper filter, sourced from IAP. The car is a '94 (24V) so it may be different that the earlier cars - Dunno.

As for the the insulation: Been without A/C for so long, anything will be an improvement.

Also, got the proper hoses to and from the core. Much more pliable than the alternatives I looked at.

·
Premium Member
27,291 Posts
Alex, It's a paper filter, sourced from IAP. The car is a '94 (24V) so it may be different that the earlier cars - Dunno.

As for the the insulation: Been without A/C for so long, anything will be an improvement.

Also, got the proper hoses to and from the core. Much more pliable than the alternatives I looked at.
Same filter fits early and late 164s and Saab 9000. Many I get are made by Valeo. I also use household window unit filter foam in my old filter frames.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
John
How did the rewrap go on the refrigerant lines??

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On my lunch break, went to Lowe's and bought pipe insulation. Didn't know what size so I got 1/2" ID and 3/4" ID. They are pre-slit, with adhesive.

Others have recommended putting aluminum tape and/or ty-wraps over the insulation once it is in place. Probably will do this.

·
Premium Member
9,811 Posts
John
How did the rewrap go on the refrigerant lines??
Use the same stuff I mentioned to purchase. Wrap the lines with this. The stuff from lowes for pipes with adhesive will not last as it cant take the under hood temps and melts off then the foam moves around or does not stay on the pipe if you will. Even with ties it's too fat too. Too much air between the insulation and the pipe. The insulation that I recommended can do every job including wrapping the metal A/C pipes nice and tight, rubber A/C hoses or anything else and looks like OEM, will not come off if cleaned properly.
I have gone through 2 full summers with this stuff. The lowes pipe foam stuff lasted a month maybe.

Jason

http://shop3.mailordercentral.com/supersoundproofing/prodinfo.asp?number=09-42720-PSA

·
Premium Member
27,291 Posts
OK Jason I just ordered some for my next a/c job.

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Put the blower back together after replacing the insulation in the bottom of the case with the stuff from Super Soundproofing. The old material crumbled to a powder.

Couple of questions: The hole through which the blower motor's wires pass did not have a cover on it like I see in Steve's photos. Should I fashion one?

Second: I have new hoses for the core. Does it matter which direction the coolant flows through it? If so, which hose goes to the rear head and which to the reservoir?

·
Premium Member
27,291 Posts
Heater core bottom outlet port hose goes back to coolant tank.

Yes, I would fashion a small rectangle of plastic or metal and shoe goo it in place over wire opening.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts