Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have stopped trusting my stock gauges and tech. I am looking to put some better gauges in my spider vintage racer. I understand Mechanical gauges work much better than electrical ones, at least for pressure and temperature. What about tachometers is mechanical or electrical better. I am looking for reliable, accurate, reasonable priced gauges, not the cheap stuff that some boyraces mount on the A-piler of thier rice rockets. Autometer seems to be the most popular. I have also heard of racetech. Anyone have any experience with either of these brands or others. Anyone rebuild the stock jager tech. and gauges with good track uses results. I would like to hear your stories and get some advice. thanks

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
i have vdo mechanical gauges (oil psi, water temp, oil temp) then i have an autopower electronic tach. if you want to go with a mechanical tach, the best and most accurate is the jones's tach but its about $300-$400 compared to the $100-$200 for the autometer.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
vdo, my porsche friends will sure give me a hard time when I put vdo gauges in my alfa. Never thought of vdo thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I've had some really good experience with GReddy electronic gauges.

I'm not sure about how the Autometer electronic gauges work (digital? analog?), the GReddy I've seen have its own digital computer (about the size of a pack of cigarette) that connects your digital (not analog) gauge to the sensor.
I think the high-end model has a lot of built-in logging and warning functions that you can customize.

:)

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
You may find SpeedHut electronic gauges to be of interest also.

Some are programmable, some are GPS capable, etc. along with several styles to choose from.
Note: if you pick a gauge to look at, over on the lower left is a dropdown menu that will let you pick face color, font, needle, backlight color etc. and as you select it'll show a pic on the right of what your selections look like 'on gauge'.

*I've no personal/financial affiliation, just learned of them through another members conversion to some thier products and the stuff looked quite interesting.

WOW, I just realized this is a 8 year old thread that somehow got dredged up from the grave. LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts