Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am looking for the type and source of replacement bulbs for the dash instrument bulbs for an 86 spider. I have tried the local Pep Boys. The Sylvania #37,73 & 74 look like they would fit but all are a hair too fat and once pushed into the bulb receptical they spread it too much to fit back into the dash.

Anyone of the brand, type and source for replacement bulbs???

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Try Sylvania 161 or 194LL ('Long Life')

161 is what I bought when I went through all of my dash bulbs of that type. (if you don't feel like buying some to try, just nab one or two out of, oh, about any car you have as they are common as rain in most vehicles from the mid-70's on)

Anywho, the book calls for a 'type H' which is an all glass 1.2W (papajam made a post in regard to comparing Alfa bulb designations to 'standard bulb' designations somewhere. I think in the electronics subsection)

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Ah, here's a post that shows it and confirms the 194 which is the same size as the 161.

161 is 2.66W, 194 is 3.78W so in either case they are gonna be brighter than what the factory stuff was for certain locations, though in other locations they call for as high as 5W so they'd be dimmer there. LOL

In other words, you may or may not be using your dimmer reostat, but at least the bulbs will fit like they're supposed to.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I use the Sylvania 2721 (1.2 watts) for instrument lights in the cluster except the alternator light. That one gets the 2723 which is 2.3w. Both of these are available at the local Advance Auto or here. Does the '86 use different bulbs than an '88? I thought '86 was the first year for the single instrument pod but I could certainly be wrong or confused or both...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Went by NAPA today. It's definitely NOT a 194 or 161 Sylvainia for an 86 Spider...way too fat. They had me try the Sylvania 74 and it fit just fine.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
The Sylvania #37,73 & 74 look like they would fit but all are a hair too fat and once pushed into the bulb receptical they spread it too much to fit back into the dash.
?

Anywho, as long as you got lights lit :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Agree ? Who knows? Thanks for the help though...it did get me to NAPA where they were most helpful!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts